Corsair iBook / PowerBook Memory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, this is what i found.

Corsair.com memory is way way cheaper than a lot of memory.

Let's talk 512mb PC2700 So-Dimm for our iBook and Powerbook g4s

1. Anandtech reports Corsair "ValueSelect" as compatible

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2359&p=2

**Note the part number of the Corsair RAM shown, it is the ONLY ValueSelect RAM for PC2700 so-dimm, there is no 'separate' or 'different' part number for Apple-compatible RAM AFAIK

2. On Corsair.com, there is no way to check the Apple-compatibility-ness of ValueSelect, just their regular line

3. This is the page on Corsair ValueSelect

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/valueselect.html

My question is, has anyone tried Corsair ValueSelect for their iBook or PowerBook?

Why is it so cheap?

edit: corsair RAM is shown as $56 (valueselect, 512mb pc2700 so-dimm) on newegg. com

How come it appears to be a great alternative to a lot more expensive ram, given it has lifetime warranty? Am i totally barking up a wrong tree? Is AnandTech as trustworthy as i think it is?

-Paranoid android

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    now if i sound a bit hyped up about this whole thing is because currently in the country where i am living (malaysia), the only apple-compatible memory you can get is normally kingston ($600 in local currency for 512mb ram) - all well and good, but the cheaper alternative is from non-apple-dealers selling corsair valueSelect for $300 in local currency for 512mb ram ~~ this part number though is reported as apple-compatible by anandtech (see above)...

hmm... investigating further

btw, corsair has a decent reputation currently with it's gamer modules (looks like gamers are big into putting heat-spreaders and led-stuff on their overclocked ram and stuff ) ah whatever... good for the gamers, pushing the envelope for the rest of us

• Reply 2 of 14
    I'm interested in this too. I've been looking at www.crucial.com/uk, and they list separate Apple specific modules, but the 1GB versions are not in stock, and they have no idea when they will be in stock . So if I can use an alternative, that would be very handy.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

I'm interested in this too. I've been looking at www.crucial.com/uk, and they list separate Apple specific modules, but the 1GB versions are not in stock, and they have no idea when they will be in stock . So if I can use an alternative, that would be very handy.

hmm interesting... for those in the USA though you can get

original Kingston 1gb from buy.com at about us$180,

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=15890

...slightly cheaper than newegg's 1gb Corsair valueselect at $200
  • Reply 4 of 14
    UPDATE:

Crucial UK must have got some in today, so I ordered a 1GB module .
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

My question is, has anyone tried Corsair ValueSelect for their iBook or PowerBook?

I have a stick of 1gb Value Select PC3200 DDR400 ram in my 15" 1.5ghz pbook, got it from a local here in australia. Works dandy.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

I have a stick of 1gb Value Select PC3200 DDR400 ram in my 15" 1.5ghz pbook, got it from a local here in australia. Works dandy.

sweet. thanks mate.

a bit of a hidden secret, this, corsair does not list their valueselect pc2700 or 3200 in your case, as all Apple compatible...!!!

edit: OMFG you are also running higher-spec'ed RAM in your powerbook -- ddr400 instead of ddr333
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

UPDATE:

Crucial UK must have got some in today, so I ordered a 1GB module .

enjoy
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

sweet. thanks mate.

edit: OMFG you are also running higher-spec'ed RAM in your powerbook -- ddr400 instead of ddr333

Np man, anytime. I chose the DDR400 for 2 reasons, a) it was cheaper at the time than DDR333 (and will fall back to 266 or 333 speed anyhoo) and b) I was hoping that *if* a g5 pbook ever came out, it prob would have been loosely based on an iMac G5 type spec, (DDR400 ram reqd for iMacs) .. that way I could just swap the stick out to new machine, grab anotherie and be all sweet... now of course it will be DDR2 stuff in a dual core yonah chipset pbook in 6-12 months. I like the second option more these days even if it means not being able to use his ram again.. win for the buyer of this machine in the future
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Np man, anytime. I chose the DDR400 for 2 reasons, a) it was cheaper at the time than DDR333 (and will fall back to 266 or 333 speed anyhoo) and b) I was hoping that *if* a g5 pbook ever came out, it prob would have been loosely based on an iMac G5 type spec, (DDR400 ram reqd for iMacs) .. that way I could just swap the stick out to new machine, grab anotherie and be all sweet... now of course it will be DDR2 stuff in a dual core yonah chipset pbook in 6-12 months. I like the second option more these days even if it means not being able to use his ram again.. win for the buyer of this machine in the future

cool. can you give me tha details of the aussie dealer you got the corsair from ( DDR400 was cheaper than DDR333 ?!)

??

my brother is in brissie at the moment and he's keen on 1gb for his powerbook 12" 1.33ghz

• Reply 10 of 14
    I didnt get it from here, (I got it from a mate who gets things a little cheaper), but ...

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_i...tegory_id]=442

should be about right, one word of warning tho, the 12" can sometimes be trickier to fit ram in (physically) from what I have read some places, so if he buys make sure he can send it back if it doesnt go in right.. fwiw I have mine in the top slot of my 15".

edit - Ahha ! got the fooker to work rite !
  • Reply 11 of 14
    macasaurusmacasaurus Posts: 243member
    1GB Kingston ValueRam PC2700 RAM at Outpost.com for 109.99 After Rebate.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

1GB Kingston ValueRam PC2700 RAM at Outpost.com for 109.99 After Rebate.

bloody hell.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

I didnt get it from here, (I got it from a mate who gets things a little cheaper), but ...

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_i...tegory_id]=442

should be about right, one word of warning tho, the 12" can sometimes be trickier to fit ram in (physically) from what I have read some places, so if he buys make sure he can send it back if it doesnt go in right.. fwiw I have mine in the top slot of my 15".

edit - Ahha ! got the fooker to work rite !

hmm yeah looks like the 1gb may be more worthwhile to buy here in malaysia...

so guess what? i got my 512mb today ! YEAH

APACER brand. it's apple compatible. $61 usd.

www.apacer.com

cheapest 512mb for iBook/powerbook you can get in malaysia, $235 in local currency, corsair is $350+ in local currency and kingston $550+ in local currency

Tiger is UltraSnappy? now. 640 MB YEAHHHHHHHHH

edit: here it is:

AWESOME. I now feel like i have the ram i need

(corsair 512 was out of stock... and more expensive)...

ran xBench, apple hardware test, using iBook now, Apacer memory is checking out fine, dare i say, perfect

edit: i heard from the small PC shop that sold me the apacer memory that the apple dealers are buying it up from them and putting a nice creamy markup for the mac users that don't have the time (obsession?) to do the local research i did...

edit2: the reason why i am so thrilled is because this is not advertised anywhere as Apple compatible, it's just sold in PC shops for 'regular' ie, all non-Apple notebooks, but mac users are gettin' wise to it now. cool.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Good buying, and .. about bloody time :P