And the next Special Edition iPod will be...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Coldplay.

(According to Stuff magazine)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    That's freaky, I just read that on pg 11 of Stuff too!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

That's freaky, I just read that on pg 11 of Stuff too!

It's a good magazine - but I mainly buy it for the cover picture
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

It's a good magazine - but I mainly buy it for the cover picture

Not my type - too female.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    will this be a photo/regular/video or what? I think they could make it look a lot better than the u2 one. maybe a nice blue theme
  • Reply 5 of 18
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Frankly, I'm sick of Coldplay hype. Their latest album is desperately unoriginal and all rather dull and tiresome to listen to.

A Coldplay iPod? Why?

All I want is a 60gb iPod which is as thin as a 20gb iPod. Oh and a colour screen and maybe bluetooth for potential future wireless link-up to a car stereo.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

A Coldplay iPod? Why?

Marketing, my friend. Your opinions aside, Coldplay is a hot item right now.

I personally would like to see a Dave Matthews Band iPod. \
  • Reply 7 of 18
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Too bad there is no Steve Jobs iPod.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I want a beavis and butthead video iPod, where you play music videos, and AI inside the iPod adds B&B commentary relivent to that particular video.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I personally would like to see a Dave Matthews Band iPod. \

Great idea, 6 years ago... Wouldn't fly these days. Hell, I would probably buy one if they came out, but I already have every studio album and most of the live ones...

Now what would be cool is ones that come with the entire Bob Dylan or Rolling Stones or BB King catalogs.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by acr4

Great idea, 6 years ago... Wouldn't fly these days.

I respectfully disagree. I think DMB has a MUCH GREATER following since Everyday than they did before it. Everyday and Stand Up were both highly marketed and much more in the public eye than any of their previous albums. I personally think they both suck compared to the other albums, but that's another discussion for another time....
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

All I want is a 60gb iPod which is as thin as a 20gb iPod. Oh and a colour screen and maybe bluetooth for potential future wireless link-up to a car stereo.

Same here, the 60 is too bulky/heavy for me when compared to my 3g 20gb iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    I dislike Coldplays new album, but the other 3 albums are incredible. Now that I think of it, I don't think Coldplay has enough songs for an iPod to be named after them. They only have 3 studio CD's meaning 34 songs. And is 34 songs enough for a iPod? DMB has atleast 7 CD's and their live CD's (I think I have all of them, The Gorge, Central Park, Chicago, Red Rocks, Luther, Folsom, Listener Supported and some others) are all outstanding. They deserve an iPod especially if U2 does.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I respectfully disagree. I think DMB has a MUCH GREATER following since Everyday than they did before it. Everyday and Stand Up were both highly marketed and much more in the public eye than any of their previous albums. I personally think they both suck compared to the other albums, but that's another discussion for another time....

The new albums do suck compared to old stuff. I didn't think their sales had been that great lately, and the concert attendance has been down across the board.

A DMB iPod would sell, especially if it had all studio albums + Lilywhite Sessions, all the bandmates solo CD's, and possibly a few tracks from Butch Taylor's and Tim Reynold's solo things. All of those in a 40 GB iPod with album art would definately appeal to lots of hard-core DMB fans.

I still think this would have been better a few years ago, or in a few years from now.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could select from a list of "special edition iPods" that came baseloaded with an artists catalog (at a nominal fee of course)? Maybe iTunes could sell package deals (maybe the Pink Floyd "Back Catalouge" package).

I'm rambling. I have an iPod. I don't know why I decided to even go to the iPod forum... :P
  • Reply 14 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Personally I want a Simple Minds iPod...

Nahh. A live8Pod would be logical. All the music from all the artists with the premium going to Africa.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Coldplay????? come on.

The Beatles!

Along with an exclusive iTunes deal, that buries the hatchet for good (lawsuit dismissed). Paul and Ringo join Steve on stage MWSF06, and sing "All You Need Is Apple" and war, famine and pestilence all over the globe come to a screeching halt.

• Reply 16 of 18
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

That, and the iPod has to have a decent batt life, which Apple seems to be doing. They can't update the gen. of the iPod and knock the battery life back a couple of hours. (I'm still used to my 8 hr 3 gen.)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    You have to pick a major band with lasting appeal, not the current pop/alternative/whatever sensation.

So sure, 5-10 years down the road Coldplay is still huge then maybe, but now? Nah.

I'd say Beatles (if they work out the legal problems and upload the entire catalogue), Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan are the remaining huge bands. Remember it should be on the scale of U2 sales-wise.

Second tier? Harder to pick.

Zeppelin would be cool (I would so buy an iPod with their first album cover on it), Apple really seems to like Green Day, and I'm sure there are a fair number of big bands/lasting appeal out there that aren't quite as huge as the first tier, but should move enough units to make it worthwhile. Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Nirvana, Ramones, Violent Femmes (Album artwork from Add It Up would be awesome), Queen, CCR, The Clash (ok, so I admit I'm biased and some of these don't belong, but still) etc... A Barenaked Ladies one would be cool too, but I doubt they're big enough. Gordan Lightfoot maybe, Thunderclap Newman's "There's Something In the Air" single artwork would make an a seriously cool iPod. So would AC/DC's "Back In Black" and Daniel Johnston's "Fun" would be whimsically cool.

And so on. Guess I got a bit carried away.

Oh and Stuff rocks, even though I live in Canada and never see 99% of the stuff. The cover is just a nice eye candy bonus
  • Reply 18 of 18
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Scottish bagpipe iPod? Anyone??

hehehe... I actually would like to see an iPod with a kilt painted on it.