New Mac mini?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i was planning to get an ibook before i heard about the intel transition but now i think that a mac mini with large screen is a better choice/investment. What i want to know is whether or not the mac mini has already been updated. If not, will it be updated soon? I am already pushing my patience to the limit waiting for mac updates. If anyone knows about this please let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    it hasnt been updated and no one knows when it will be. it may very well be the first apple computer to use an intel processor however. i will be buying one june 22nd regardless so i hope it gets a speed bump prior to that
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I don't know either, but I want to get a mini as well.

I was going to get an iMac G5, but will wait now that the intel switch is happening.

I already have a 22" monitor, so a mini will be perfect.

The eMac already has a 64MB Radeon 9600... put one of those in a mini, and I'll buy it in a minute. They can even keep the CPU the same speed.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I'm not sure whether it indicates an update is on the way, but the ship times for the Mac Mini on the Apple Store UK has just increased from 1 - 3 days to 1 - 2 weeks (for the standard configurations). Perhaps they're just low on stock though.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I hope it's an update. I want to pick up one of those soon.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    The US Apple Store says it can ship the same day.

Drats.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    i doubt well see a mac mini update until apple expo in paris...newly introduced product cycles are quite a bit longer than succesive updates...
  • Reply 7 of 39
    When is the Paris Expo? September?

C'mon Apple... give us an update. I'll buy one. Promise.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    sharpeysharpey Posts: 1member
    Apple Store Mac Mini ship times (for both versions):

US: 6-8 business days

UK: 1-2 weeks
  • Reply 9 of 39
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    I have a friend that is going to buy his first mac now, and it's gonn'a be a Mac mini. But I noticed that Mac mini has the longest shipment time of all Mac's.

Is this a sign of new models?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    let us hope so. I doubt it'll be an inMac mini but rather PowerPC 1.33 and 1.5Ghz models.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    if apple comes out w/ a mac mini.. im defitnatly buying it.. so that i can have a desktop like computer running on my desk in my room rather then my PB.. although my PB is nifty, and i am liking it
  • Reply 12 of 39
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Personally, I would recommend an iMac G5 as a first Mac. The lowest end model isn't really that much more than the mini, and you get a keyboard, mouse, and a fantastic display.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Personally, I would recommend an iMac G5 as a first Mac. The lowest end model isn't really that much more than the mini, and you get a keyboard, mouse, and a fantastic display.

this is true.. as my 20" iMac is a beautiful machine, and hten my pb... so why would i want a mac mini? i havnt figured out a logical answer yet except for the fact that its small and nifty looking...
  • Reply 14 of 39
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

so why would i want a mac mini? i havnt figured out a logical answer yet except for the fact that its small and nifty looking...

Price tag. Price appeals to everyone. A computer could look like a 486 with a turbo button and people would buy it at the right price.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sharpey

Apple Store Mac Mini ship times (for both versions):

US: 6-8 business days

UK: 1-2 weeks

yea... I ordered a BTO mini on the 8th of june and it's already been delayed twice (now it's scheduled for shipment on the 24th). Maybe they can keep delaying it and update my order while they're at it....
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Borborygmi

I don't know either, but I want to get a mini as well.

I was going to get an iMac G5, but will wait now that the intel switch is happening.

I already have a 22" monitor, so a mini will be perfect.

The eMac already has a 64MB Radeon 9600... put one of those in a mini, and I'll buy it in a minute. They can even keep the CPU the same speed.

If you have the cash, its probaly best for you to get an iMac thats at least what I think.

Apple will most likly first update the MacMini, iBook and Power Book.

And I would I guess the iMac is not going to be updated until late 2006 so at least a year away.

The G5 is still a fantastic processor and as Apple says iLife just screens on their.

So it is definetly the best choice ath the moment.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    ok, really weird. an apple rep. just called me and asked if i could use some assistance in a mac mini purchase. i promptly told him i think it needs an update, and i am waiting for it, that apple makes a switch hard, some other bs. but i have no idea how he knows i was interested in a mini at all, i have never expressed it like he told me, besides playing around with prices in the online store. anyone else get this?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

ok, really weird. an apple rep. just called me and asked if i could use some assistance in a mac mini purchase. i promptly told him i think it needs an update, and i am waiting for it, that apple makes a switch hard, some other bs. but i have no idea how he knows i was interested in a mini at all, i have never expressed it like he told me, besides playing around with prices in the online store. anyone else get this?

Wow! Regardless of how creepy that is, someone from Apple called you? On their own will?

Yea, I've had terrible experiences with Apple's PR.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

hmmm maybe they're desperate to sell off their remaining stock before they update the mini? I'm planning to wait til the end of this month. If no update i'm getting the mini/20"
  • Reply 20 of 39
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

I've heard stories of people who leave machines in their carts on the Apple Online Store and then an Apple sales rep may call and see if they can get them to buy the machines. Usually the call is surprising, but it is low pressure and non-threatening.

How'd your call go?