Contrast ratio on new iMac stinks.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
300:1?

That sucks. I don't know of a single current LCD with less than 350:1, and most new ones are 450:1!

The contrast ratio can be measured as the typical ratio between the brightness of a single white pixel and a black background. A higher contrast ratio means a sharper, more vibrant picture.

The Apple 15" studio display, introduced 2 years ago, has the same 300:1 contrast ratio as the new iMac (it's probably the same screen), as does the Cinema Display.

The 17" SD has a ratio of 350:1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    MSNBC said the screen was VERY high quality. This is dissapointing if meaningful.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    Dear god! You're just going from product to product complaining! First the iBook, now this, is this the best you can come up with? 300:1 is still, you know, a few million times better than the CRT they were using three days ago. And 300:1 seems good enough for Apple's $2500 Cinema display.

I guess it's good that this is the worst thing you could find to complain about an otherwise stellar design...

I can just see your next topic....

iPod plastics off white instead of egg shell!

*sigh*

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by scadboy:

<strong>Dear god! You're just going from product to product complaining! First the iBook, now this, is this the best you can come up with? 300:1 is still, you know, a few million times better than the CRT they were using three days ago. And 300:1 seems good enough for Apple's $2500 Cinema display.

I guess it's good that this is the worst thing you could find to complain about an otherwise stellar design...

I can just see your next topic....

iPod plastics off white instead of egg shell!

*sigh*

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I feel better knowing that the cinema dispalay has the same ratio. I feel fine now.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    What is the contrast ratio for the TiBook?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    enderender Posts: 353member
    My Ti PB 667 LCD hurts my eyes at the highest brightness if there isn't enough ambient in the room (painful when the majority of the desktop is white). If desktop LCDs are even brighter, I don't know if I could stand it.

I'm going to head over to my local Apple retailer (CIS Computers) to check out the iMacs and their LCDs sometime next week (when the iMacs are in). I guess I'll get to see firsthand how the desktop displays are. I'll try to compare the iMac to the other LCDs.

-Ender
  • Reply 6 of 16
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i've seen the 15" ASD and 22" displays and they are absolutely beautiful....if the iMac screens image looks like them and all three are 300:1 i will be quite happy....g
  • Reply 7 of 16
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    [quote]to check out the iMacs and their LCDs<hr></blockquote>

For some reason this brought a smile to my face.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>The Apple 15" studio display, introduced 2 years ago, has the same 300:1 contrast ratio as the new iMac (it's probably the same screen), as does the Cinema Display.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you *seen* either of these LCDs? They are amazingly good, as is the display on the new iMac. Check it out for yourself in person, you won't be disappointed.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by Falcon:

<strong>

For some reason this brought a smile to my face. </strong><hr></blockquote>

You dirty nerd.

• Reply 10 of 16

<strong>

You will notice that desktop LCDs look far better than laptop screens, and contrast ratio is the major reason.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I used to have the current 15" LCD Studio Display and it had better contrast, color and viewing angle than my TiBooks' display. If the new iMac is using the same screen it must be very nice then. I'm still curious as to what the actual contrast ratio is on the TiBook is though. How can I find out? Does anyone know who makes the screen for it?

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by apple.otaku:

<strong>

I used to have the current 15" LCD Studio Display and it had better contrast, color and viewing angle than my TiBooks' display. If the new iMac is using the same screen it must be very nice then. I'm still curious as to what the actual contrast ratio is on the TiBook is though. How can I find out? Does anyone know who makes the screen for it?

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the contrast ratio on the TiBook is lower than 300:1.

Placing a TiBook and an iBook next to each other and you can see that the iBook is brighter.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Yeah but I'm still curious about the specifics. I wonder who makes it and what model it is. Samsung perhaps?

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>300:1?

That sucks. I don't know of a single current LCD with less than 350:1, and most new ones are 450:1!

The contrast ratio can be measured as the typical ratio between the brightness of a single white pixel and a black background. A higher contrast ratio means a sharper, more vibrant picture.

The Apple 15" studio display, introduced 2 years ago, has the same 300:1 contrast ratio as the new iMac (it's probably the same screen), as does the Cinema Display.

The 17" SD has a ratio of 350:1.</strong><hr></blockquote>

considering the 22 inch Cinema Display is often regarded as the best quality LCD available I don't think the difference in Constrast ratio means much if at all.

looks pretty damn good to me and I'm looking at photos
  • Reply 14 of 16
    The LCD on my iBook is fantastic, and even the one on my old blueberry iBook was pretty good.

One of the main reasons I decided NOT to spring for the Ti Powerbook was that I thought the display was not as crisp as the new iBook.

But ALL of the new LCD displays look at least as good to me as my iBook display.