Stanford posts transcript and video of Jobs' speech

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Several readers have pointed out that Stanford University has now posted both a text transcript and video excerpt (right sidebar) from Apple chief executive Steve Jobs' commencement address on June 12, 2005. During the speech, Jobs said: "When I was 17 I read a quote that went something like, "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself, "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "no" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Isn't anybody questioning why Steve would give this speach? To my memory he hasn't before.....he never graduated college......is he trying to send out subliminal vibes that Apple is a great company to support by buying it's products/using it's services? Just a bit weird that's all.....
  • Reply 2 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Its a great speach. Made me think that I should be putting more effort into chasing my dreams.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'll spare everyone my anti-Stanfurd vitriol for today.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Yes, the speech was great and seemd so honest from the one that invented the RDF... Refreshing, at last.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Isn't anybody questioning why Steve would give this speach? To my memory he hasn't before.....he never graduated college......is he trying to send out subliminal vibes that Apple is a great company to support by buying it's products/using it's services? Just a bit weird that's all.....

Negative.

I really believe each single word he spoke.

These are the clear and visional words someone

uses, when he encounters the concept of

death - and escaped dying the very last minute.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I thought the speech was sincere, and very human. For the first time I saw him as a person, not a celebrity. Really liked it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    for the record, guest speakers are INVITED to give speeches (hence the "guest" moniker), so i don't think he went out of his way to try to make this an ad for himself or apple. these things are supposed to give perspective from one's life to the listening audience.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    well, just in case you don't know

this other site exists.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

well, just in case you don't know

this other site exists.

"grain of truth" indeed! Nice link Babs
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by argonaut

"grain of truth" indeed! Nice link Babs

welcome.

Btw, i found this "steve jobs" signature .

He doesn't use capital letters. Well, I've got no time

to immerse in the study of handwriting.

Any suggestions what this signature possibly could mean?

cheers