New G5 Tower , suggestion ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm about to purchase my 1st ever Mac , G5 2.7 with student dev. discount. Are there any GOOD ergonomic keyboards made for MAC ? I just cant see myself going back to regular keyboard after 8 years of typing on ergo.

Also , once i get the machine , does Apple stuff up the machine the way Dell does ? ( All that crappy limited trail software etc ... Whenever i get new notebook from them , 1st thing i do is format the c drive and clean install XP Pro.) Will i have to do that with Tiger as well ?

Also , I'm probably gonna go with standard configuration and add 2 GB of ( 2x1gb DIMM) after market. 1st , will i void my warranty by just opening up the case and installing RAM ?

2nd , has anyone heard of OMNI Technologies ? They have 1 GB module for $80 and guarantee to work with Mac G5 , lifetime warranty and all that jazz.

Lastly , does anyone know of good training source for Final Cut Pro apps ? I've done my share with Photoshop and Illustrator and would like to get into motion2 etc ... Nothing serious , dont want to pursue career in it , i just think i'd enjoy messing with it. ( I"m not buying Studio with the system , my dad will buy it for me for Xmass )

Thanks ! Cant wait to get my hands on Tiger and some serious power.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Congratulations!

I can only take on two of your questions, but here goes -

1. Thankfully, Apple does not cram the HD full of crappy limited trial software. You'll get the iLife apps (iTunes, Garageband, iPhoto, and iDVD), Mail, Safari, and a couple of other Apple-made apps. They usually throw in a game of chess, too. But none of the kind of thing I remember encountering back on the Dells I used to use.

2. No, as you're buying a Powermac, which is designed for expandability, you will not void your warranty adding RAM yourself after-market. The manual will walk you through the necessary (easy!) steps.

3. If you find out about a good training program for the FCP suite, I'd like to know, myself - I have the software on order myself!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    onyx-pbonyx-pb Posts: 26member
    I did a 10.3.x to 10.4.1 upgrade on a brand new macMini last month and apart from iLife I got: Nanosaur, Marble Blast and Office 2004 test drive. Can't tell you if they were from the factory 10.3 install or the 10.4.1 upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Wonderful choice! I bought the same machine about a month ago, and I am very pleased with everything. Only the consumer machines like the mini come with so many games, the PM did not come with any other than Chess. At any rate, a very good place to learn about FCP, DVDSP, etc is Editor's Bin. There is a professional forum there and a lot of tutorials. You can also check out Creative Cow as another resource for good information.

Have fun with your new workstation!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    IS Final Cut Studio more advanced than AFter Effects and Premiere from Adobe ?

I ask because i found pretty good training for After Effects and Premiere ( Total Training has 14 DVD training for AE and 3 DVD for Premiere Pro. ) I used to use their Photoshop training and it was awesome.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    in terms of a good ergo keyboard, I'm using a microsoft ergo keyboard at home that I got a while back. It's got a dual connector (usb/ps2) so it works fine with my quicksilver. I like it cause it ergo, has a usb connect and has 2 usb ports on the keyboard (though I guess the extra ports aren't as big of a deal these days). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it anywhere since. The other day, I was at fry's and saw one by adesso which was very similar though. USB connector, 2 usb ports in the keyboard. Didn't look at the price, but it's $55 at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

and there's also this one which is $46 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Thanks , but those are Microsoft boards , so they won't have apple specific keys (dont know how many there are) I was looking for Mac specific ergo keyboard.

I already own one you described , it's been my keyboard for 5 years now. I like it a lot except that keys are very loud when pressed. ( I'm working on the computer mostly at night )
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by wally007

Thanks , but those are Microsoft boards , so they won't have apple specific keys (dont know how many there are) I was looking for Mac specific ergo keyboard.

I already own one you described , it's been my keyboard for 5 years now. I like it a lot except that keys are very loud when pressed. ( I'm working on the computer mostly at night )

are you sure those are microsoft boards? the title says "Adesso Intellimedia MediaPro Flat Ergonomic MAC USB White Keyboard with 2 USB Ports ( AKB-805MAC)" and the picture looks like the layout is just like my apple keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...&s=electronics