Still not sure on the price of the inMacs...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been hearing different opinions all over the place about this. I know the developer machine only costs around $999, but they have to give it back in a year, so that can't reflect what the actual prices of the new machines will be. Do you think it will be cheaper, and if so, how much? I think it would be a wise move by Apple to get the price down as low as possible, and still have enough money to keep afloat, just to get the machines/OS influxed into society more. Because this is the best oppurtinity they've ever had to do so.

-Ronnie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    I don't expect much of a price change. The Intel chips Apple will want to use are, if anything, more expensive than the IBM chips apple used.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Just a suggestion

"inMac" sounds really really bad. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Just a suggestion

I prefer the term inMac to mactels. I fail to see how it really matters.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

I prefer the term inMac to mactels. I fail to see how it really matters.

Well in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but it does make you sound a tad strange. To each his own though. Enjoy.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

Well in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but it does make you sound a tad strange. To each his own though. Enjoy.

hahahaha, so because I say the first part of the word intel and then Mac instead of Mac and the last part of the word intel, I'm now strange. Interesting views you have.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    lgnomelgnome Posts: 81member
    Just my 2 cents, but I prefer:

Intel-Mac

PPC-Mac

68k-Mac
  • Reply 7 of 35
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    is this thread about price or about trying to throw another name for the intel-based mac out there?

look at me and my creative name for a computer!
  • Reply 8 of 35
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wormboy

I don't expect much of a price change. The Intel chips Apple will want to use are, if anything, more expensive than the IBM chips apple used.

Well, it is all speculation, but a) we have no idea what Intel will charge them (from the way Apple talks, Intel gave them a deal); and, b) most importantly, Apple will no longer have to design their own components.

Hopefully never again with the ApplePI and other custom Apple chips. They should (hopefully) use standard Intel motherboard components. I'm sure Apple will engineer their own board that is pretty to look at, easy to add memory, cards, etc.; however, they will only have to build the physical layout.

Anyhow, my hope is that they will save on the motherboard components, engineering, etc. and the prices will fall slightly. We really don't know though.

I imagine that the iBooks, powerbooks, etc. will stay roughly the same price. With a dramatic increase in power at the same price, they will be a good deal (in my opinion).
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

is this thread about price or about trying to throw another name for the intel-based mac out there?

It's about the price. I didn't invent the name, I've seen it used before, and prefer the term. And you're contributing to your own theory by continuing to talk about it.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

I imagine that the iBooks, powerbooks, etc. will stay roughly the same price. With a dramatic increase in power at the same price, they will be a good deal (in my opinion).

I didn't even really think about them being faster than the current ones for the same price, for some odd reason. Good point. A $200 price drop wouldn't be too shabby though.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    To show that Washingtonians can get alone with our distant brothers in Florida I hmurchison shall hereby refer to all Intel based Macintosh computers as "inMacs" until the date of June 15th commences. Full Stop

I think the price will be competitive with PCs moreso than it is now. Apple has no choice...no amount of Megahertz Myth is gonna make someone accept paying more than %10 for the equivalent inMac.

Now it's time for Apple to truly compete.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    How about MacINtosh? (or MacINTel)?
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

intel-based-mac would suit i think... a bit long. but suitable.. and as for the prices.. hmm.. i would suspect them to be cheaper then current mac machines b/c of the fact they're not pure macs and they should be quite a bit cheaper i'd think, right?\
  • Reply 14 of 35
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Do you think it will be cheaper, and if so, how much?

I don't see why they would be cheaper. The only reason for a price drop I see is whatever the market will suggest at the time. Nothing special to Intel processors.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Sure. They should name it iMac. Now it becomes clear what game S. Jobs played for so long with the names .
  • Reply 16 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

how about intel-a-Mac...(ducks)
  • Reply 17 of 35
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    People seem convinced Apple will start using off the shelf motherboards and CPUs, much like Dell, I think this is unlikely. I think this is just a change in CPU and geek wet dreams of PC priced Macs made from commodity parts are unrealistic. We might see PowerMacs start at below $1000 but the high quality components and margins will keep prices as they are.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

yes... it does sound really really bad, but what you going to do????
  • Reply 19 of 35
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    I think the prices will have to drop. If it was hard to justify a base price of $2000 before, it will be even more so when we'll be able to directly compare the components of a Mactel to an all-but-identical Wintel.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    I think the prices will have to drop. If it was hard to justify a base price of $2000 before, it will be even more so when we'll be able to directly compare the components of a Mactel to an all-but-identical Wintel.