Mac mini and LCD TV?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Thinking about making the jump from iBook to Mac mini at some point. Obviously, I would also need to then get a display, so my question is, would a Mac mini look okay through an LCD TV? My computer is in my living room anyway, so I thought I could replace my TV, and use it for my Mac too - seems a shame to to spend loads of money on an LCD, and only use it for my Mac.

What makes are good to use with my Mac, and what kind of input does it need? Is it as simple as getting an adaptor? I would be looking for something between 20" and 23". Thanks for the info. Any recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Also, how would the resolution work out? If I did this, it would most likely be a widescreen, would it just work the mac just allows resolutions up to the resolution of the TV?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Is this worth doing, or am I better buying a 20" Apple display and sticking with the 21 CRT?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    If you get an LCD HDTV, it depends on the resolution. A 720p HDTV runs at 1280x720, which isn't a standard resolution for computers, but the mini might be able to do that. Otherwise, you'd be running at a lower resolution, which won't look as good.

Most 1080p screens run at 1920x1200 or so, which is really high res for a computer. The mini's small graphics card might choke at running such a high resolution, and choosing a smaller one for performance will make your image suffer (as the LCD would have to pixel-double).

So, the answer is: maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for the help, I was kind of now thinking this might not be a great idea. Having had a look at some LCDs, 17in is too small to use as a TV, and 1280x720 on a 20in isn't very high resolution, so I guess I'll have to stump up the £550 for an Apple Cinema Display.