Apple lands Podcasting deal, preps AppleCare overhaul

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Strikes Podcasting Deal with Sundance

Apple and the Sundance Channel have struck a deal that will make content from the cable network exclusively available as podcast downloads from the Apple iTunes Web site next month, according to AdAge.com (Subscription Required).

The partnership between the two companies will deliver iTunes one of its first exclusive podcast partners, the online publication says.

Apple is believed to be in the midst of propositioning a vast number of media and entertainment outlets to make their content available via iTunes podcasts, including magazines and radio stations, independent sources have told AppleInsider.

One of the first iTunes podcast features scheduled from the Sundance Channel will be the much-hyped The Al Franken Show, featuring the Air America talk show host. A collection of video clips from the show will also be available for streaming from Apple's website.

AdAge also reports that as part of the barter deal, Sundance will receive Apple?s post-production editing equipment and expertise. In the future, the two companies may collaborate on the Apple retail level, the report adds.

Apple to Revamp AppleCare (again)

On a completely separate subject, Apple will soon revamp its AppleCare Protection Plan to provide redefined services via a revised two-tiered system, which will be largely based on past experience, the recent increase in Apple product users, and the every-changing role of the retail stores, according to ifoAppleStore.

The project has reportedly been in-the-works for months under an unknown code-name, and is further believed to be part of a much larger restructuring of AppleCare that began last November when the company ousted then vice president Mark Wilhelm amongst a major restructuring.

About this time last year, Apple redefined its AppleCare customer support into a two-tier system consisting of 'Standard' and 'ProCare' packages.

The company also recently appointed a new vice president of AppleCare, Bill Frederick, who replaced Wilhelm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    As an FYI the ifoAppleStore link has a "space" in it; should be www.ifoapplestore.com not www.%20ifoapplestore.com
  • Reply 2 of 16
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Can't wait for Rush Limbaugh go apoplectic over the Al Franken deal!

Sundance Channel does a lot of programming with short films. That would be an interesting "proof of concept" for an Apple Video Store, using shorter-length content that's made outside of the big Hollywood production system.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    Hopefully the new AppleCare will allow you to purchase a plan for monitors only...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sweet I'm all over that Al Franken.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

yeah, with a steaming, hot pile of dog poo.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

What's a guy gotta say to get quoted in your signature?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    No surprise about Al Franken, considering Al Gore is on Apple's board and has a little something to do with that radio network.

At least with podcasting, there might be more than four people listening to Al...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    21122112 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

No surprise about Al Franken, considering Al Gore is on Apple's board and has a little something to do with that radio network.

At least with podcasting, there might be more than four people listening to Al...

Even the libs I am friends with think Air America and Franken especially are one big steaming pile of shit.

Sure hope Apple has something better for the encore.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 2112

Even the libs I am friends with think Air America and Franken especially are one big steaming pile of shit.

Sure hope Apple has something better for the encore.

He can't be a bigger pile of shit than Rush and O'Reilly.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    21122112 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wnurse

Whatever
  • Reply 11 of 16
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

All politicians are big ol' piles of shit. Democraps are larger, smellier piles of shit.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Quote:

No comment since I listen to Boortz.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

No comment since I listen to Boortz.

Boortz is king!!!! No podcast yet, though.

http://boortz.com
  • Reply 14 of 16
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

All politicians are big ol' piles of shit. Democraps are larger, smellier piles of shit.

This is usually an excuse by conservatives to explain away their shitty politicians. Like, my guy is bad but so is everyone. Here is what i believe, Republican politicians are big pile of shit. That's it.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

These guys aren't politicians. They're all slanted commentators. Don't pile them into those politician piles. They have their own.

What's really amazing is anyone listens to these people at all (unless you're just listening for the hillarity of the rhetoric). Just prattling on about the same thing over and over and over again (once you take out the specificness of whatever, its the same basic arguments these people were having 10 years ago).
  • Reply 16 of 16
    xdanielxdaniel Posts: 29member
    Al Franken is hillarious. The book on tape (which he reads) of his book "Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them," is terriffic.