Switcher, What to do?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am in need of a new computer. I am currently running on a P3 800mhz windows xp, 144mb ram, 80gb, 64mb video. this is massively slow due to all the crap that comes with windows, viruses spyware etc. Work on this computer has been pretty much its only use. No but most of my time is fixing it or making it run better. I do some photoshop but its messy slow when i have itunes and msn running, along with some web browsers. pretty much the only good thing about this computer is its version of MSN availibe for it, but i understand microsoft is updating the mac version. other than that the computer sucks.

On my mac Im going to want to be able to do some video editing dvd autoring photoshop dreamweaver and flash. On this computer i can barely have a webbowser open and active while talking to my friends and photoshoping. And with all the virus crap i really want a mac. I have been looking at them for some 3 years now. Pretty much the only obstecle is cash. My parents would be buying this computer.

Now the transition to intel proccesors is good and all. I cant live with this thing for another year. (this is its 6th) and seeing that its, its 6th year the mac should around the same life span, but during that time i will have moved out and have my intel based powerbook so should only be good for 3 or so years.

So my question is would the mac mini be able to handle the photoshop dreamweaver prob some dvd studio and final cut. or should i go with the iMac. seeing that the Powermac's are far to expensive being around $3000 CDN to my config without a screen. (dual 2.0ghz) one of the main reasons i would like the mini is that i would consider getting the apple 20 incher to go along with it so i could use it later. since the mini is only a 800$ computer taking the monitor(with me) after a few years wouldnt be much of a waste cause i dont think my parents care about screen space.

To me i really want the apple display. It macs it more a mac to me. all the ads and pictures of dashboard and tiger on them look so much better than on a dell screen. right now im on a 15inch crt that is so fuzy and the bulb must be losing its life.

Powerbooks are too expensive right now... ibooks are too slow.. PM's are too much... its either Mac mini or imac. the mac mini seems very slow for dvd and video but the 20 inch is just soo nice. i know i can get 20 inch in the imac but i like the monitor seprate.

This got longer than i thought.. and just writing it made the imac more clear. just love that 20 though.

Im just thinking the mac mini will be good for 2 years then i get a intel powerbook and use that 20 with it and leave the mini for my parents. they dont need much power. but in those 2-3 years that i might get a powerbook i dont htink the mac mini will do the job.

DONT want to read it---- Mac mini or iMac for some video editing and DVD authoring with final cut and dvd studio.. along with some photoshop. but i get intel based powerbook when mac mini inst enough.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I was in the same situation you were a few months ago... Me and my wife were both switching to macs. We both do photo editing and web design, and a lot of multi tasking. Anyway, she ended up with a mini and I got a 20" iMac. Well my iMac blows the mini away. I would deffinetly go with the iMac. The mini is great but does hiccup when you are really multi tasking...she has 512MB in her mini and I have 1GB.

I do agree though that the seperate screen is nice and that almost made me go for the mini as well but the iMac is sooo much nicer looking and I again am really happy with the iMac. The mini would have worked but the iMac is the clear winner here. mini's have a horribly slow harddrive and it hurts the performance.

Also, don't be nervous about all this intel crap... some people are so parinoid that if they by an apple product now it will explode the day apple switches to intel. Apple won't completly switch for two years and even then if your iMac or mini are still working...who cares... the new software should be universal binary so you won't be left in the dark.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    Well the imac seems to be the best bet. But i have always wanted a laptop. The ibooks dont cut it on the graphics that i think i would need. So it would have to be a powerbook, since that the 15inch with a superdrive is getting around 3000$ CDN, i looked at the 12inch superdrive with 786mb of ram. this is the same cost of a 20inch imac with 1gb of ram biger drive and faster processor.

Im sure i would use the portablility alot with wireless internet. and taking it with me almost everywhere i go.

When i look at the imac its 2.0ghz then the pb is 1.5ghz i look at that and say -500mhz for laptop form i say is alright but its a G4.

for doing DVD studio pro on a 12inch screen and only 64mb of video do justice? I guess later i could get a 20inch LCD but thats putting alot of money down for a computer monitor.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I suggest you go with the iMac.

The tradeoff of the mini so you can get the separate aluminum display is not worth it. Plus with the iMac, not only do you get a much better computer, but the mini box is no longer on your desk.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmm.. i'm actually in the same position as you are. But for me, the screen with mini looks alot better than the imac. I am a switcher too, therefore i don't mind a minor lack in performance. I just want to be able to experience the OS and the whole mac system and see if i like living with it or not. I am planning to get a mini with 20" screen 'cos if i do like it, i'll definately buy a powermac(or whatever they call it after the transition) after say a year or 2 with the mini. If i don't like it...at least i get a cool monitor to keep

but i am STILL waiting for an update on the mac mini all i wish for is a updated gfx card. I don't think their ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory is enough for the OS or myself\ \
  • Reply 5 of 7
    naknak Posts: 101member
    I too would go with the iMac, but not because of aesthetics.

The iMacs have much better graphics performance than the minis, built in screen, and can do things much quicker (not only CPU, but FSB is 600MHz compared to a paltry 167). If you plan on using whatever computer you get soon for awhile, definitely go with the iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    Thanks for all the reply's.

If I was getting the computer i would get the mac mini and 20inch display and get a new intel in a year or two. but since its my parents that dont like buying a new computer very often then the imac will last them when i move out in 2 years and get myself a intel laptop

i dont think the mac mini would do justice on video editing and the 80gb hd would get used pretty quick.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derek

Thanks for all the reply's.

If I was getting the computer i would get the mac mini and 20inch display and get a new intel in a year or two. but since its my parents that dont like buying a new computer very often then the imac will last them when i move out in 2 years and get myself a intel laptop

i dont think the mac mini would do justice on video editing and the 80gb hd would get used pretty quick.

No problem, and good use of logic I'll most likely end up getting the newer, more tank, powerbooks that come out in the near future too.