At what age did your life change?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I was over in another thread when sunilraman mentioned about having been 19/20 and miserable for a variety of reasons, but is apparently much better now, and has kissed a girl.

It made me think about how drastically different my life and world outlook was at about that exact same age, but maybe a little younger, 18-19, i hadn't really experienced anything, was desperately concerned about finding a girl because of my self-inflicted lonliness. I also had a lot of leftover uber-consertive values and I remember how hard I thought and how much research I did in 2000, when deciding whether I should vote for him as I did in the primaries.

I've changed a ton since then too, but I think that is the point where my life took a left turn and since then I think my happiness/contment level has gone up dramatically, and I like to think that is when I started on the path towards not being such a dope, too.

I'm curious when, and if, all of your lives took a left, right, or 180° turn and from then on, everything was different.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Never/all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I've always kept changing ... fortunately. The life changes, and the most cruel thing to ask from anyone else is to NEVER change. However, the never changing is what so many people seem to want.

My life changed radically last autumn. I found the one that makes me the happiest person alive, thus am happy. (Life didn't suck before eitehr, it just is better now)
  • Reply 3 of 21
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Biggest change came at 11, my mom passed away.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    15. Discovered secrets of the universe. Told no one.

16. Went from being a no-one... to a major someone. Became an icon.

17. Realized that being someone didn't matter. Destroyed icon.

18. Began plans to take over world. Succeeded, got bored. Gave world back, and took up poetry.

Many years since? No progress on the poetry. *But my mail still comes addressed to Supreme Dictator once in a while*
  • Reply 5 of 21
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Last year when I made the Switch To A Mac 8)
  • Reply 6 of 21
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Senior year of HS and through the summer. I got in shape. Road my bicycle to school instead of driving (and now I almost never drive, thank Jah). Almost a year ago to the day I had my first kiss (well, besides a blue man). Had a girlfriend and became more sociable. Now I'm in college and have lots of friends (including many girls, something that wasn't the case in high school).
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Not quite the typical topic, even for the Insider Lounge.

Uhhh. I guess 14, falling in love, moving away before I could tell her = hell.

I'm not such an asshole that I would tell her well living a goodly distance away. What really sucked though, was having to put up with her boyfriends (most, irritatingly, nice guys) when I visited her since she's my best friend and I've known her since I was 2 or so.

Sigh. Angst.

It's surprisingly possible to have perfectly good relationships even when in love with someone else.

Oh, and best post in thread was assuredly from "Not Unlike Myself"
  • Reply 8 of 21
    my life change? i would have to say at my present age; 18... made me think about how much of a headache it is... i mean think about it.. at 17, you could punch someone, and they would cry and run to someone and you'd get yelled at a couple times.. now 18, you punch someone, you get arrested if they run and cry to someone, or if they stay and fight, they pull out some sort of weapon; note: never bring a knife to a gun fight (words of wisdom). then at 18, you also have to sign up for the draft/selective service, also you have to register to vote (but the gov't doesnt care if you dont register).. as for girls? well, ive kissed a bunch in my early days, but always knew that i'd prolly never be able to get a girl for a relationship or whatnot; not a real benevolant nice all around caring woman atleast... but thats another story...

however though, at 18, you are allowed to smoke which i tried b/c of curiosity and now i dunno, something about cigars i like but i dunno what. anyways, catch ya all l8rs
  • Reply 9 of 21
    protostarprotostar Posts: 272member
    My life changed when I got my first paycheck. I was then that I felt truly in control of myself and not as subject to my financial dependence on my parents. That was the happiest day of my life!!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    midgcoolmidgcool Posts: 19member
    Ummm it hasnt really..then again im only 16, but i feel something is changing especially since I have left college in the last month
  • Reply 11 of 21
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    My life changed dramatically every 2-4 years for the last 30 years (I am 38 in July). Idyllic childhood, then I hit bottom around age 8 or 10, and each change since then has made my life better (particularly leaving home, getting married and having children).

My next scheduled change is a layoff, and I am taking care of the kids for a year while my wife goes to school. My eldest is also graduating from high school and working for a year - so I get to hang out with her in a non-stressed environment, which will be nice.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

My life changed dramatically every 2-4 years for the last 30 years (I am 38 in July). Idyllic childhood, then I hit bottom around age 8 or 10, and each change since then has made my life better (particularly leaving home, getting married and having children).

My next scheduled change is a layoff, and I am taking care of the kids for a year while my wife goes to school. My eldest is also graduating from high school and working for a year - so I get to hang out with her in a non-stressed environment, which will be nice.

congrats good luck
  • Reply 13 of 21
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    When I was 20, and lost my virginity.

Haven't looked back since.

David
  • Reply 14 of 21
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Beside a great deal of little to nothing until

i was about 20, ..

...10 years later, the birth of my daughter,

changed rules thoroughly. This very date

i won't forget any time soon, naturally

The impact was clearly unpredictable. And the

waves are still vivid. So vivid.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Couldn't work out if this was just a topic to see when people had lost their virginity. Which, being computer dorks... I am very surprised that any of us have

Life keeps changing. But had a "quarter life crisis" two years ago when I turned 25. Decided I hated my job, so quit it and went back to school... now two years later I am working for a very respected/influential company, getting paid very well to do something that I love. And this job will really set me up for my career, it really is the perfect stepping stone to something huge.

Life isn't all roses though. I have had the perfect g/f for four years now, but have had to move to another city for the great job and so am now doing the whole long distance thing. I have been away from her for 4 months now, and I have another 8 months to go.... It's Killing Me!
  • Reply 16 of 21
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I've had more than a few, but my miserable childhood ended at sixteen when I left Catholic school and transferred to public school.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Never/all the time.

Quoted, for emphasis. Much truth there.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    When I got married/son came along. Sadly, it did not work out. Would turn back clock if I could.

- T. I.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    When went to Humbolt state.

When I went to school in New Zealand.

When I worked at Silicon Beach Software.

When I had a test lab full of Mac Prototype hardware.

When I went to my first WWDC for the whole week.

When I worked in Monterey and tested at the Apple test labs.

When I made over 100K in the stock market.

When my brother got divorced.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    regreg Posts: 832member
    When we found out one of our kids has a disablitity. Things change all the time and I would never change that. Although when the kids started dating. the grey hairs really showed up.

reg