Thats the best one so far
  • Reply 22 of 80
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onyx-pb

3. A M$-Windows compatability mode?

- Windows can be resized from any edge

- Alt-F4 closes window etc

- Ctrl-C as well as Apple-C for copy etc.

You get the idea, just a few token gestures to help our new found friends upgrade from XP to the next generation of Intel based operating systems. Apple could even throw in a Blue Screen of Death screen saver!

YES, as a user of many platforms this would be worth the upgrade in and of its self.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Back in OS9 you could double click on the titlebar, and the entire window EXCEPT for the title bar would disappear/collapse. It was pretty useful.

Like how stickies work at the moment?
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Yes, very similar to that

Here's a random picture of it

http://www.terra.com.br/macmania/mac...shade_tela.jpg
  • Reply 25 of 80
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    The ability to close a window from the dock.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

3. A real NEXTSTEP shelf for Finder windows.

[/B]

oOMG -- yes yEs YES!!

Also, just two other things. Live update of Hardrive size - and REAL colored folders.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    To borrow from Ars Technica:

FTFF.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

The ability to close a window from the dock.

I like that one!! seems logical to do as well.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    perhaps the ability to put in a server lite.

So that one could get a file from the home pc properly firewalled, etc.

With that macintosh ease of use.

and not the idisk either.
  • Reply 30 of 80

how about a small app or a built in feature to monitor the entire computer like the s.m.a.r.t. status of drives and the temp of the cpu's giving you a warning if something is amiss. It would give a novice user a warning if imminent hardware failure is looming.

• Reply 31 of 80
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    as far as the iCal sharing goes...am i the only one that has this working? maybe i misunderstood the complaint, but i've never had to use .Mac for "sharing". my solution (i work for two small offices that run an all-Mac setup) was to set up an FTP location on our server. i then had everyone publish their calendars to that address, then those who needed to see other folk's cal's subscribed...very simple.

another example of non-.mac usage: most of you probably know of Spymac, personally i think its a waste of webspace, but if you have an account, they give you what is called a spydisk (just like iDisk) i publish my calendars to my personal spydisk (not sure if its free anymore, but i bet there are tons of things just like this out there), and can subscribe to them from other macs in the offices just by typing in the URL. before my current employers, i had my other clients follow the same simple procedure to see what i was up to, by simply providing the URL...

again maybe i mistunderstood the grievance, but i've never had to use .Mac...
  • Reply 32 of 80
    .Mac syncing that works well.

Hopefully they expand the capabilites of the OS to use the internet via widgets, spotlight, .Mac etc etc.

The line between our computers and the wonderful world of the internet is blurring, and I'm sure the next Mac OS will continue that trend.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

perhaps the ability to put in a server lite.

So that one could get a file from the home pc properly firewalled, etc.

With that macintosh ease of use.

and not the idisk either.

there were rumours about an update to bonjour that allowed sharing outside of a local subnet. which would do what you want to do...
  • Reply 34 of 80
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    so far, we are on the way of "total integration of everything" (iApps/adressbook/iCal/bonjour/printershare) + the need for finding "everything">>spotlight.

next step for me would be now "structure" and "visualization"?_we still fumble around with that 150 year old metaphor of "folders" and a trashbin from Sesamestreet?

in the age of terabyte-hd, do you really want to throw things aways? is a still-pic part of "photos", or maybe a part of a movie, of a printed document, of a website? >> choose correct folder

dashboard is a very tiny idea, what's possible, if you leave "paper and desktop" behind?

maybe these stacks will find back; maybe 3D desktops; maybe some TomCruise handling ;?

the actual desktop metaphor is way behind the needs of the 21th century? the whole "interface concept" has to be basicly be re-thinked. we should search in the folders of MIT?

anyone said voice-control?
  • Reply 35 of 80
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

anyone said voice-control?

you can do voice control now. its not the best, but it can get by for now.

Quote:

the actual desktop metaphor is way behind the needs of the 21th century? the whole "interface concept" has to be basicly be re-thinked.

i believe something like that is in the works for Mac OS 11 or what ever the predecessor to mac os X is.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

maybe these stacks will find back; maybe 3D desktops; maybe some TomCruise handling ;?

Isn't that a job for PS3?
  • Reply 37 of 80
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    Here is my list

1. Apple to use Spotlight GUI in the finder, it a lot elegant than the metallic brush UI.

2. Apple to do some icon work on the mail.app, the current icons are not so "Apple", they should fix mail.app

3. A desktop sharing application integrated with Apple ichat and to collaboration services in macos Server. A sharing desktop is a must in the entreprise...

4. more SDKs =)

5. Not part of macos 10.5, but I would like that the next release of ARD (3.0) could send unix commands to Linux and Unix boxes and also, drop the metallic look, and incorportate the UI of the server tools.

6. something real cool with the dock

7. if you go to the terminal app and type cd / {move to root directory} and then ls -las there are a bunch of folders the the finder do not see... so, I want a more consistent finder with the filesyste, like unix ...

8. a tabbed terminal and text editor
  • Reply 38 of 80
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    Multiple Desktops,

Just a mouse jesture to do a cube effect to a new desktop or a whatever to make it clean

but able to go back to them
  • Reply 39 of 80
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Time for a UI overhaul.

The pro apps are refining new approaches to UI, with extremely useful dashboard, popups and smooth UI effects. I imagine the same type of fluffing up could benefit the OS as well, especially since creative Pros are so entrenched yet the improvements are going over very well.

How about spotlight searching that is like a spotlight search?? The intro movie to Tiger is the general idea, but this would be very instant.

Imagine a spotlight search metamorphasizing the screen a la Dashboard, with the instant results laid out in a "dark room" in a 3-d layered approach.

This would all be instant and make the Tiger search results look like the local library interface.

Apple could pull this off making the results visually compelling. Clicking away from this would immediately return you to the desktop. Command-space would pop you back into the "spotlight".

Overall, getting Pixar's best artists and paying them some wonderful freelance wages to fluff up the OS in a compelling way should yield some revolutionary improvements with some proper field testing and guidance.

Also, tell the intern handling iSync to re-approach the sync "tortured interface". Remove the current "This sync will modify 214 of your contacts" generic garbage and improve the experience greatly -- display all potential changes with options covering, well, all of the options.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member

I'd like to drag any given content (for example selected text/pics etc)

in any given app (word, safari, mail etc) into an docked folder.

Drag, copy on the fly, paste.

You'll understand what i mean, if you drag content onto the

desktop. However this doesn't work, if you drag your stuff into

some docked folder.

Concerning Dock, i'd like to drag any given content (for example

selected text/pics etc), onto, say, a special icon (perhaps an

enhanced finder icon), that opens the content in the apropriate app.

A little bit like it works right now by copying and pasting via Exposé.

I just want to drag some stuff onto a specialized dock icon, that

opens the proper app for me.