iPod screen (pixel issues)

naknak
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a 3rd gen, 40GB iPod, and it's about a year and a half old. Something strange happened the other day: when I turned my 'pod on (completely on, it had to go through the apple logo and such), a horizontal row of pixels were flashing on and off.

Now, I pride myself as being a problem solver, and I did fix the issue by restarting the iPod 2 or 3 times. I'm just wondering, does anybody know why it's doing this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    my 3G has done the same thing when the battery was about dead. your ipod had been off long enough for you to have to boot it up "cold", my guess is the battery was just about drained. restart plus putting it on to charge made it go away for me.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Yea, all I did was do a few restarts. I just didn't know the reasoning behind the screen's temperament.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I had a similar thing with my 3g 15 gB iPod. The contrast was really off and the whole screen was flickering. It went away after about an hour.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

my 3G has done the same thing when the battery was about dead. your ipod had been off long enough for you to have to boot it up "cold", my guess is the battery was just about drained. restart plus putting it on to charge made it go away for me.

and if that doesnt work, then if you still have/got the extended warrenty, then you could always call apple up and see if they can fix it...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    One time when I was at the last dregs of my mini's battery, the screen was definitely flickering and faded out. Music was still playing, but controls like next and pause stopped working. Shortly after the unit shut off as the batter was completely dead.

Just recharged it and all was well again.

In fact my Ti PowerBook's screen sometimes flickers in extreme low power situations.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Right, but what I was experiencing was that just one row of pixels were flashing. Fixed it by restating. Interesting though, all the same.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hmm... could be the battery, always a possibility... could be from it just being age.. and if you dropped it (dunno if you did or not, just saying) might have caused it... usually its immediate you notice it though...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

hmm... could be the battery, always a possibility... could be from it just being age.. and if you dropped it (dunno if you did or not, just saying) might have caused it... usually its immediate you notice it though...

Probably a combination of battery/age. (Stock battery, nearing 2 years)