Dwindling iTunes Radio Stations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is any one else disapointed in the dwindling number of iTunes radio stations. Some of them that are still showing have not worked for over 2 years ie. ClassicalMusicAmerica both 56kbs and 24kbs. This was previously ClassicalMusicDetroit. i have only noticed a few new ones. Will it be fazed out? . A q u a M a c .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    just tune into either woxy.com or kexp.com and you will find some great music. sometimes they are the only things that get me through the day...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    It does seem tho have been left to languish. Still, there's pleny of .pls feeds out there-- you just have to look. I've got an unauthorized "pirate" station broadcasting at 112 kbps.

at http://chrisvreeland.com/Radio/Radio.html. bookmark it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    webflitswebflits Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Is any one else disapointed in the dwindling number of iTunes radio stations. Some of them that are still showing have not worked for over 2 years ie. ClassicalMusicAmerica both 56kbs and 24kbs. This was previously ClassicalMusicDetroit. i have only noticed a few new ones. Will it be fazed out? . A q u a M a c .

You're looking in the wrong place.

Just goto http://www.shoutcast.com/
  • Reply 4 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Unfortunately, internet radio is dying out. Most of the smaller stations couldn't afford it when the ruling was made that they have to pay royalties for the music, and others are being shut down because of the overhead costs of all that traffic to their servers.

The bigger names are surviving on advertising, or because they have a real radio station that's subsidizing them. Smaller operations just aren't able to keep going right now.

Which is a shame. I miss Massinova.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Internet radio dying out? SomaFM still works so I have no idea what you are talking about 8)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Ah yes. A classic example of one choice defining the whole of reality.

SomaFM is great, yeah. I listen to them on occasion. It still doesn't change the fact that the number of 'net radio stations has dropped drastically in the past couple years.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Unfortunately, internet radio is dying out.

Dying out, or shaking out? It's not unusual with any new tech to have everyone and his brother jump in at first, followed by a shake-out period where only the luckiest and/or best survive.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    The electronic selection seems to be thriving. It has grown actually. Although Digitally Imported contributes quite a few channels, I have seen new stations added since I started using iTunes.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Ah yes. A classic example of one choice defining the whole of reality.

SomaFM is great, yeah. I listen to them on occasion. It still doesn't change the fact that the number of 'net radio stations has dropped drastically in the past couple years.

I guess more and more people realize how great Some is and stop using anything else 8) 8)

From 1990 until today the number of computer users have risen and yet the number of living OS´es seems to have declined. The PC isn´t dying either.

(woops. I feel dirty now)