Intel?? Do I keep this brand new imac now??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I switched to macs a few years ago, and have not looked back. We have a 17" imac G4, a 12" powerbook and three ipods in the family. Three weeks ago I bought my son a new 20" 2 gig imac G5..........we had it a week, and it had problems connecting wirelessly to our airport express 35' away.

It would go from 4 dots to nothing, saying we did not have internet connection. Anyway, we took it back to the Apple store. they tested it and found it was having problems even there, so they said they would install two new antennas and a new airport/bluetooth card........(the new 2 gig imacs DO NOT take the normal airport extreme cards the other macs do....it is some type of bluetooth/airport thing). I think I wrote about this in the genius bar forum, and am not reposting about it, ( I know that is a no-no), I'm just wondering what I do NOW....????

Anyway, it has been over two weeks now, and they told me the parts are still backordered, so they will just give us a new imac instead, since it was still very brand new. That is great of Apple, but I'd like your advice....do I want to do this??

All of a sudden the Apple world is turned upside down with this intel news....

Some people on this forum have the opinion that anyone buying a new imac now is foolish....that it will be worthless by next year and will be a dinosaur, not being able to work anything. They seem to be saying, DON'T BUY NOW....WAIT, WAIT!!

Others are saying that those people are overreacting. I admit, I do not understand much about the inside of my macs.......But I love using a mac, it works, does not crash, and I love being free from the fetters of windoze.

Now this intel news has me really confused. Three weeks ago I thought the bump up to the 2 gig imacs was the best deal in the world....now I am wondering if I consider telling Apple that you have had my computer for two out of the three weeks, and I do not want it any longer....I'll just take my over $2000 back. Do I do this and wait until next year? I guess the question is; Is a person foolish buying an expensive imac now, in light of this intel news??

I know only enough to make me skittish...perhaps I'M overreacting. Don't get me wrong....I know that computers will ALWAYS improve, and that no one can expect to own any mac and have it be the "latest and greatist" for very long...but this chip thing seems like way more of a change then a normal "upgrade".

I thank you in advance for your kind and sage advice here......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Yeah, take back your brand new computer and wait for an updated one to come out in two years
  • Reply 2 of 30
    personally, if apple offered to give me a brand new computer b/c the first one had parts back ordered, i'd take it (yea, its not free or anything) but i know i love mac, and no way am i going over to half a mac, w/ half intel.... i still think that 100% mac machine is a lot better then 50% mac, 50% intel.. but thats just me... yes, mac/intel machines will be cheaper, and be able to run more software then just 100% macs... but my macs (pb and imac) never crashed, and also never get viruses, and so much more... i have my imac hooked up directly w/ wire to the internet and my pb runs wireless and its great wireless, no airports or anything, just a router that handles wireless

if i were in your shoes, i would take the iMac, but thats just me and what i like and prefer... i was talking to my brother, and asked him if my pc/MS based games would run on a mac/intel machine and when he said no, then i was like yea.. then theres no point for buying that machine b/c the only reasons i kept a windows box were specifically for the games i had for it... the only reason... and so im staying w/ my full fledge macs, b/c it would be worthless to buy a mac/intel machine to run games on when it couldnt run those games, and i have a mac, 100% mac, and i love my imac and powerbook, so i cant be convinced
  • Reply 3 of 30
    According to some sources, a intel based imac should be out no later then a year from now....most think 2nd quarter next year.

What I do not yet understand is how this impacts the current imacs. How will these intel macs be different. Will they be better, worse, or have little impact for mac users?

I won't go back to windows, but there have been a few times in the last few years when I found that I could not use a program I really liked or needed with a mac, etc.....

Bottom line question........Is buying a new 20" 2gig imac G5 a wise decision?

Thanks again, Frank D.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    the intel based mac will be able to run more programs then the iMac, dunno if it will be able to run the same programs you couldnt run on pure macs... but the only difference is, that intel based macs will be able to run more programs then the current iMacs from my understanding... but for what im doing w/ computers and such, switching to the intel based mac would be a waste of money for me, b/c what i need and use is runable on the current macs...

i would ask the guys at apple or someone/friend, family you know thats real good w/ computers be able to tell you if intel based macs will run programs you need/want/like that current iMacs cant run..
  • Reply 5 of 30
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    initially, it won't be able to run more programs, it'll have to run them emulated, which some say is the equivaent to a dual 800mhz g4 speed feel. it will be some time until many programs are ported over, certainly not by the time the first minis and ibooks come out with the intels (it's predicted apple with start with the bottom of their line and work upward in the transition)

keep that imac, it'll serve you well for years and won't feel slow or anything (tiger is very usable on even a 700mhz g3)
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

keep that imac, it'll serve you well for years and won't feel slow or anything (tiger is very usable on even a 700mhz g3)

i agree... the iMace is a good and fun toy... its serving me well. hard and strong... yay...
  • Reply 7 of 30
    resres Posts: 711member
    Well, since I've totally outgrown my 800MHz g4 powerbook and really need a more powerful Mac, but I just can not afford a new one, I think that you should accept the iMac and ship it over to me

On a more serious note: If Apple was not changing over to intel they would still be coming out with much faster dual-core PPC in the iMac line next year, so you would be in the same boat when it comes to computing power regardless of which chip architecture is used. When it comes to software, it will probably take a couple of years for all of the Mac software to become compatible with the new systems, and it will probably be four or more years from now before you see much IntelMac only software coming out.

So I would get the iMac and thoroughly enjoy it over the next few years -- If you are in the market for a computer now, it makes no sense to wait around for a year or two for something better to come out ( if you follow that path you will never get a computer).
  • Reply 8 of 30
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Personally, I think the G5 iMac is just as valuable now as it was prior to the big announcement. Initially, I thought it was a big deal but now knowing that Apple isn't going to ditch PPC support anytime soon, I'd still buy one... and in fact, I am hoping that I'll see a 20" iMac G5 in my near future.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Thanks guys.

I'm not one to cry down the road when new updates come out.....in fact, I patiently waited for this 2 gig imac upgrade to come out before buying. All the rumor sites said it would happen weeks before it did, so I knew to wait.

It was just that this new intel news seemed like a big deal, a bigger deal then your normal upgrade........and I did not fully understand the ramifications of the news as it pertained to the current "new" models.

I suppose it is not a big deal....the new imac is for my son who is heavy into graphic arts.....he does not seem too concerned. I was just a bit shaken by all the "sky is falling" type posts claiming that anyone buying an imac now was dumb.....

Me? I'm happy with my G4 imac lamp style and the 12" powerbook.

Frank D.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    webwillywebwilly Posts: 11member
    Keep it! Keep it! Keep it!

It will serve you well for many years to come, even when the intel macs are around. There are still people out there doing well with their g3's well after they were discontinued.

Apple don't forget the people that have bought their hardware, even once the hardware is 'outdated' and replaced by new stuff. That's why mac OS continues to run faster with each new release on existing machines right across the board from the g3 up to the g5. I doubt that the next incaration will be any different and will probably run faster on your g5 than tiger does now.

Also, once the shift to intel has happened i would expect that apple will update their machines much more frequently to keep up with the rest of the pc world when intel announce faster chips every couple of months. You can't play to the Mhz myth when everyone is using the same chips! Therefore, any intel mac will be seen as being 'out of date' (i.e. not the best spec in the store) much quicker than ppc macs are.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    macs are beautiful, and their old machines are still serving people well... hence why mac keeps their value/worth their neat, no doubts there.... and ill never switch back...
  • Reply 12 of 30
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

the intel based mac will be able to run more programs then the iMac, dunno if it will be able to run the same programs you couldnt run on pure macs... but the only difference is, that intel based macs will be able to run more programs then the current iMacs from my understanding...

Hmm, I Don't know where you got this information. But actually it will take a while for native applications to port over. Of course some will be ready right away and some will run with rosetta translation. Maybe a few Windows only hold outs like 3D Max will decide now is the time to port over, but I have not heard of any. If you know something more please do tell.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Hmm, I Don't know where you got this information. But actually it will take a while for native applications to port over. Of course some will be ready right away and some will run with rosetta translation. Maybe a few Windows only hold outs like 3D Max will decide now is the time to port over, but I have not heard of any. If you know something more please do tell.

i have my sources... however... i did state in that "the intel macs will be able too run more programs..." that means in time.. from my stand point as to saying maybe something like "the intel macs are going to be able to run more programs.." i see a difference.. im not sure about anyone else.. guess its how you look at it/read it... l8r
  • Reply 14 of 30
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

i have my sources... however... i did state in that "the intel macs will be able too run more programs..." that means in time.. from my stand point as to saying maybe something like "the intel macs are going to be able to run more programs.." i see a difference.. im not sure about anyone else.. guess its how you look at it/read it... l8r

So how is it you think they will be able to run more programs. Please do tell.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Well, since I started this thread, I thought those who kindly replied deserve an update.

It is a sad one.

After having the first G5 imac for about two weeks, the apple store let me know that they could not get the parts, so just come up and get another one. That is what I did. They did a migration for me, and I brought home another new imac G5 on Monday.

On Wednesday, the display died. It had a black line through the middle, and the bottom 2/3 of the screen was grayer. It also seemed to "burn in " a window when you moved it, looking ghost-like.

They offered me another new imac G5, but at that point, I declined and they nicely gave me back my money, without any restocking fee.

I'm bummed about it, but just did not feel comfortable with needing three imac's in three weeks.

For now, I'm keeping my old imac G4 and my 12" powerbook. I'd like to upgrade that powerbook, but I already posted about that in another thread.

Maybe in a few months I'll try buying one again. Mac's are great, and I'm thankful how good the apple store is, but for an over $2000 purchase, I was bummed.

Thanks again for the help. Frank D.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    I can understand your frustration, but it's quite possible their stock of iMacs had been mishandled. Wait a few weeks and try again. I'm sure you'll have better luck.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    People sure seem to be having many problems with the iMac G5's. I understand that people not having any issues won't post "I have no problems with my iMac G5" threads, but I haven't seen so many posts/threads about problems with brand new Macs since I switched and began frequenting Mac boards. (Keep in mind I switched in Summer 2003)

It makes me afraid to upgrade to an iMac G5, which I'm waiting until next year to do. I'm waiting because I need my next tax return to afford one, and also to wait and see what the long term reliability turns out to be. I had many concerns that Apple would be able to achieve proper cooling of the G5 and other components in that small case, since operating even within the upper limits of a component's operable temperatures can cause premature failure. And in my experience, HDD and CD drive spindle bearings are not built to run for the long term when placed in any position other than flat. (of course, they could be a new type of drive designed for vertical use that I don't know about yet?)
  • Reply 18 of 30
    my only advice is to take in mind how long you MAY have to wait. the reports i read say that apple will start using the intel chips in 2006, as many in this post have said, however that will be in low-end macs like the mini. high end macs wont be until later in 2007. keep in mind, when is the last time any computer advancement was released on time. i mean we were promised 3GHz G5s last year. i would say you'll be waiting at least 2 yrs before you get and intel iMac (or iMac equivelent). is your $2000+ worth a primary computer for 2 years and a secondary computer for countless years after that? if not, wait.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    I agree. Like I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of an iMac G5 (as mentioned previously, it appears all the bugs have yet to be worked out), I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of the Intel-based Mac.

I still foresee an iMac g5 in my future. Apple isn't going to stop making them for a while and hopefully they'll be even more refined in the next gen.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Dunno if this has been brought up before, but I found this over on BareFeats:

Quote:

June 13th, 2005 -- Hot Running iMac G5 Drives -- One of my remote mad scientists is reporting temperatures of 189F on his 400G internal hard drive. He measuring the surface near the spindle. By comparison, using our new infrared temperature gun, we measured 116F on our G5/2.5 Power Mac's boot drive spindle during operation.

There is a drive temperature sensor built into the iMac G5 that you can sample with software (like ThermographX) but the sensor isn't touching the drive and measures only ambient air temperature -- which gives you a lower reading -- and is therefore misleading.

High operating temperatures can cause permature drive failure. Someone suggested moving the iMac's temp sensor closer to the drive, but warned that fan speeds (and noise levels) would go up. One of our remote mad scientists created his own heatsink for the iMac G5's hard drive which brought the drive surface temperature down to 105F.