WebKit Speeds up Safari

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Somebody should compile this into an application package that doesn't require dev tools to be installed. Kinda like how camino is done.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    built it but i don't see any perceptible difference. i'm running it on a imac g4 800mhz with 1 gb ram and have a 1.5 mbps dsl connection with 10.4.1.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

built it but i don't see any perceptible difference. i'm running it on a imac g4 800mhz with 1 gb ram and have a 1.5 mbps dsl connection with 10.4.1.

probably people on 256-512mb of ram and 1ghz g4 or so and 512k or less dsl connection might see the difference... with your specs, i think the stock 10.4.1/ 10.4.0 tiger build of safari is pretty snappy already.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    latest CVS cleaned up some printing problemas i was having.

now printing is sweet.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I have no problem with compiling, but that Terminal-based CVS checkout isn't really that user friendly.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I compiled it in about 5 minutes on my Dual G5 2 GHz. When I launched Safari with it instead of the stock WebKit I didn't notice any difference, so I stopped using it.

I didn't look at the compiled libraries, but based on the directory hierarchy it didn't appear all that portable. If you're interested, I'd say its best to download and compile it. But overall its not that worth it IMO.

I have a fast computer, have a fast connection, am a programmer who knows what he's doing, and had free time to try it out. If you don't have all four, I don't think its worth the time. Now if someone turns around and offers a benchmark that says custom compiled WebKit is 2x faster, my recommendation might change.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    ah, it's just a bit of fun for moi...

i am liking the performance improvements, even if checking out and compiling every week takes about 1/2 an hour.

i'm no coder, the instructions to download and build were quite okay...

edit:

i like it because i'm only on an iBook g4 933mhz and my internet connection is a bit jacked-up, nice speeds on 1mbps down, 512k up, but some pings are a bit too far off... eg. appleinsider ads (shh... don't tell the site admins) don't show up on my computer for some reason (not because of webkit, but because of my naughty DSL)

edit2:

i no touch Firefox nowadays safari loads up and runs FAST on tiger 10.4.1 on my machine with 640mb ram
  • Reply 28 of 35
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Wow, it's really faster! I don't believe it!

I have an iBook G4 1GHz and just rebuilt WebKit tonight (Sunday) and it works great! Up/down scrolling is very noticeably faster and page load/render times are much improved.

Can't wait for the next official update for Safari, but for now, I'll use the CVS version of WebKit.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The only reason the local compile may be faster is based on compile settings.

I haven't looked at the make file / compile script, so I'm not sure what is going on. The plus is that a local compile may not need to support all the machines that the standard OS built-in framework supports. So you may get better optimizations or less branching or something else.

The speed difference probably depends on your machine. I already have a fast machine so its not noticeable. Perhaps I'll try again on my Ti PowerBook and G3 iBook and see how they fare.

Edit: Minor typo I just noticed
  • Reply 30 of 35
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Since OmniWeb is based on webkit, are there nighlty builds of that app based on nightly builds of webkit? That would be sweet.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    That shouldn't be necessary. All you'd need is a way of telling OmniWeb to use the webkit you just compiled, not the one included in the system. A recompilation is certainly not necessary.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Since OmniWeb is based on webkit, are there nighlty builds of that app based on nightly builds of webkit? That would be sweet.

OmniWeb is not based on WebKit, it is based on a modified WebCore (what sits inside WebKit). Apple's move to an open sourced WebKit does not change anything for the current version of OmniWeb, since the WebCore was already open sourced.

Now it might change the directions for future versions of OmniWeb, and they have already said on their mailing lists that they are considering how to proceed now. They have to figure out the costs and benifits to moving to a customized WebKit... and what features they would be forced to drop.

Now there are clearly some advantages in the more current version of WebCore... and having more attention on this component will clearly benifit OmniWeb.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Wanted to mention that the Open Darwin project is now offering pre-compiled binaries of the nightly webkit builds for testing. I've been wanting something like this for a while now.

http://nightly.webkit.org/builds
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Wanted to mention that the Open Darwin project is now offering pre-compiled binaries of the nightly webkit builds for testing. I've been wanting something like this for a while now.

http://nightly.webkit.org/builds

Not only that, but the latest builds are flippin' amazing. Almost every memory leaks have been plugged, it's fast, and it's stable.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    here's a fun link for those who haven't found it yet. i hope to try it once my dad finishes his online banking on the ibook g4 tonite...

http://www.michelf.com/weblog/2005/multi-safari/