20 or 23 inch?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am planning how my computer setup should for the future and need some advice.

The sketch is as following:

A low end Powermac, 20 inch screen as main computer

A 15 Inch Powerbook.

A Mac Mini as a (mainly music)server

I have a iBook right now and I plan to make the purchases gradually over the next year. So I will ask for advice how to proceed.

First question is this: A 20 inch or 23 inch? Roughly twice the price for twice the pixel count. I won´t do FCP or PS stuff so the 20 is "enough" but now that have decided to drop the wallet on it would it wise spent?

From what I hear the panel in the 20 inch is hailed as one of the best (is not the best) panel out there right now. How does the 23 inch compare to it? For those who bought the 20 inch, have you regretted not getting the extra pixels? And visa versa, those of you having the 23, would you be able to live with fewer pixels?

And am totally wrong thinking that its a much better idea to buy a PM now and wait a year for the PB than the other way around?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Here's my suggestion - get 2 20" screens. Close to the same price as a 23" screen, and you have far more total screen real estate. It's what I did, and I couldn't be happier with it. The 23" screen is the one of the three Apple models which have had QA issues, too (look around - there have been some serious discoloration issues with the 23" model - a pink hue that can't be calibrated out, and a yellow tinge at the edge of the screen).

Just my $0.02.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I have thought of that. The beauty in that model is I can wait to buy screen #2 if I need it later on.

More input, anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've used a 20" cinema display for almost 2 years now and love it to death. When I first got it I thought it was huge and that a bigger monitor would be overkill.

However, now I see the light and the value of the 23". I'd actually consider it for my next system, especially since prices are coming down.

Personally, I prefer a single large monitor over two smaller ones. It also helps if you play a game from time to time. The drawback of the huge monitor is that you need a decent graphics card to drive the large resolutions. Although this applies to two 20s too.

If you're budget minding, get the 20"s. Otherwise, do not pass Go and move directly to 23".
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Personally, I prefer a single large monitor over two smaller ones. It also helps if you play a game from time to time.

It depends on usage, of course. I rarely game, but I do use a lot of a/v apps, and I like to have lots of plug-ins, pallates, and other windows open at once and find two screens work better for this - keep the work area in one window and the tools in the other. Or, if I have multiple apps running that I need to switch between constantly, the same principle generally applies.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I have the 23" at the office and hook a 1.5 15" PB to it. Love it to death and have no problems at all. I definitely prefer it over the 20" display on the G5 iMac at home, but I have a lot of windows open on it at the office.

My preference is to use the money from the Mac mini and put it towards the 23". While I got my display after the mini came out I don't think I would do any different today. I tend to adjust to larger screens (meaning I get spoiled) very quickly, but I love the 23". If I win the lottery I'll go for the 30"!
  • Reply 6 of 44
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    It is a question of real estate vs cost of course, but for me real estate wins. The 23" I have had runs perfectly, has no issues, and seems normal. I use it with my 15" Al Powerbook at home since one of my Cube's is still happily running one of those Cinema 22 displays that was the best investement I ever made. In my office I have my other Cube and its "15 original display so I notice the difference! My wife just took over the iMac 15" as an upgrade from her iMac Snow, so for the moment everyone is happy!

Bottom line, running two displays would be great, and I would do it if G4^3 could run the new monitors or power 2 displays! I just could not abide the size of the towers....
  • Reply 7 of 44
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Get the Dell 24" - I bought mine new for $900 on eBay and I love it.

I don't like the idea of 2 monitors - the line down the middle would bother me.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Get the Dell 24" - I bought mine new for $900 on eBay and I love it.

I don't like the idea of 2 monitors - the line down the middle would bother me.

Unless you are into cinema scope landscapes, you can have your work on one and the OS and other stuff on the other. I.e. when designing web pages you can see what you are using and see where it goes at the same time. Or if you are running an online course in Blackboard, you can have all those silly docs open and the Blackboard site visitble on the other monitor.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Anders, in response to your last question, who knows what Apple is going to implement first using an Intel chip. But apparently one of the reasons Apple is switching is because IBM is unable to get a G5 chip into a powerbook because of heat problems. So yes, it appears that probably the PM G5 will be the last model to make the transition.

I also recommend that you checkout Dell's lineup of FPDs. Using coupons that are often available at techbargains.com coupled with periodic sales, the 2005FPW, which is a fine display, can often be had for something in the $400-500 range. As someone else pointed out the 24" Dell, another fine display, can sometimes be bought at $899.

And finally, for those who question using dual displays, don't knock it until you've tried it. It's a great way to go.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    I use the older white plastic style Apple 20" next to that Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen at work. I got the dell for like $400 bucks and they look great next to each other, color is perfect across the board. Although I have to bring the Dell brightness all the way down to match the apple, but thats just because the Dell uses the newer screens. You should totally get two Dell 20's, for the price it's hard to justify the apple screens :/

+ you get a lot more connectivity options with the dell like picture in picture.

40" of screen is great
  • Reply 11 of 44
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Personally I dig the FireWire ports on the Apple displays, along with the other features. Dell's "cable management solution", ie clutter, is horrendous. Dell's pedestal is crap too.

If you're cheap or these things don't bother you, then the Dell may be the way to go. But personally, I wouldn't not buy an Apple display at this point in my life.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    I agree with you that the apple form factor is much better. The dell is no apple design, but it's certainly not horrendous and cheap, it's practical and works well. And I'm willing to give up a couple firewire ports for VGA, two more USB 2.0, svideo, composite and pip.

In the beginning I was a doubter, I figured I would just get the "cheap Dell piece of crap" (I called it this often) cuz it was inexpensive with coupons. Now that I have it, personally I don't see how I could justify buying one apple display when I could get two of these for that money with the same screen quality as the apple!! I mean I swore by apple displays for a long time but how can you argue with something that uses the same lcd for half price?

It's a tough call, It's hard for me or my place of employment to actually pay money to Dell, it actually hurts a little bit... BUT it has nothing to do with being cheap, it has to do with paying 400 bucks for an aluminum case!

• Reply 13 of 44
    don't forget that the Dell 2405FPW has a multi USB card reader. Very handy if you ask me.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    all i hear about apple screens is dead pixels and no warranty.

all i hear about dell monitors are dead pixels and warranties.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Thanks for all the input so far. Please keep it up

Anyone having used both the 20 and the 23 Apple displays? ANy input regarding panel quality?
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

A 15 Inch Powerbook.

I have a iBook right now and I plan to make the purchases gradually over the next year. So I will ask for advice how to proceed.

First question is this: A 20 inch or 23 inch? Roughly twice the price for twice the pixel count. I won´t do FCP or PS stuff so the 20 is "enough" but now that have decided to drop the wallet on it would it wise spent?

From what I hear the panel in the 20 inch is hailed as one of the best (is not the best) panel out there right now. How does the 23 inch compare to it? For those who bought the 20 inch, have you regretted not getting the extra pixels? And visa versa, those of you having the 23, would you be able to live with fewer pixels?

And am totally wrong thinking that its a much better idea to buy a PM now and wait a year for the PB than the other way around?

ive personally liked wider screens and my brother uses the 30" monitor w/ the powermac he uses, duel G5 i believe is what work bought him... w/ the 30" screen.... and he likes it... so i'd say if you can afford the 30" go for that, but if not then 23" is nice too other then that i dunno what else to tell ya about how they compare...

also, you can get the educational discount, then i would use when you buy the powermac or whichever machine will cost more b/c your allowed 1 computer per year w/ the discount...

good luck
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Anders go to the discussions forum for cinema displays on apples web site. If you look around there you will find a lot of info. Supposedly there were a couple of problems with the new 23's, pinkish screens etc... It also looks like apple may have fixed these problems. Some people are reporting good screens on new purchases.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    I bought my 23" Cinema Display 6 weeks ago, and have no problems with it. No dead pixels, no pink haze, good colors and good looking... great screen !
  • Reply 19 of 44
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

A 15 Inch Powerbook.

I bought a 20" with my PM in May and had some quality issues after 4 days of use. Initially it was perfect with no dead pixels, but after 4 days a grey vertical line about 2 inches wide appeared from top to bottom. I called AppleCare and they took it back and fixed it with a 2 day turnaround time (this is in Japan). It was returned with no dead pixels, but the brightness buttons were no longer responding. They took it back again with a 2 day turnaround time (including the weekend) and I've had no problems with it since.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    IMHO if you are accustomed to using a 21" 4:3 CRT, then go for the 23"er. The 23"er is effectively a 21" CRT made widescreen. If you go for the 20"er, you will notice that it is cramped in comparison to a 21" CRT - it's similar to chopping of the bottom quarter of the screen.

As chance would have it, I have both a 20" and a 23" sitting on my desk at the moment. I originally the 20" and as soon as I took it out the box I thought that it looked tiny.

Both screens offer fantastic picture quality and it's been a few years since I've seen an Apple branded LCD with a dead/stuck pixel.