Intel?? Do I keep this brand new imac now??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    naknak Posts: 101member
    If you're going to wait until Mactels come out, but you won't want to be buying one, there will be plenty of deals out there for 'old' PPC iMacs. For future reference, SmallDogElectronics is a good place to start.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I don't know if we will wait for the "Mactels" or not......it depends on my son's future needs, in regard to hard drive space, etc, on his current powerbook. I posted a question on upgrading his powerbook, but as of yet I've gotten no replies...

Who knows what Steve and gang will have for us in another 6 months or a year.......perhaps i'll try another imac, or a new powerbook. or whatever.

Frank D.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

So how is it you think they will be able to run more programs. Please do tell.

well... most programs cant run on macs.. a lot... and so.. w/ intel inside..." the theory is that some if not a lot of software comapnies who write software for MS might also write a version for macs because w/ the intel-macs coming, i can see a lot of people going over to them.... but its just hunch...
  • Reply 24 of 30
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Sorry, but it's not that simple. The average Windows app (for example) is just as difficult to port to OS X on Intel as it would be to port to OS X on PPC.

The only benefit would be for x86 (Windows) apps that are contain assembly language and/or use MMX/SSE optimizations. Those would be more easily ported from Windows to OS X on x86. The rest of the app would still need to be ported.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Sorry, but it's not that simple. The average Windows app (for example) is just as difficult to port to OS X on Intel as it would be to port to OS X on PPC.

The only benefit would be for x86 (Windows) apps that are contain assembly language and/or use MMX/SSE optimizations. Those would be more easily ported from Windows to OS X on x86. The rest of the app would still need to be ported.

everything that is pondered always seems simpliar then it really is in all reality\
  • Reply 26 of 30
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Yeah, take back your brand new computer and wait for an updated one to come out in two years

ditto
  • Reply 27 of 30
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

everything that is pondered always seems simpliar then it really is in all reality\

That's always the case

Intel-based Macs really won't realy be a big deal to the average end-user. Most people don't care nor need to care about the CPU, only that their apps work as expected.

The only benefit I can see in the app department is that assembly language optimized games would be more easily ported from Windows to OS X (x86).
  • Reply 28 of 30
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Please note that right now its 50%IBM/50%Apple. Most of intel's bussiness is making chips, and while i prefer AMD, if apple is going intel, it seems wise too me. The SOFTWARE will still be fundamentally the same, even if it has been converted. The UI IS the same. The Virus ARE STILL non-existent, becuase a virus attacks the SOFTWARE, not the 10101010101011 in the CPU. The SOFTWARE is still the same, hence wont crash or anything like that. Intel macs will be just as good as PowerPC ones. Just a little better thats all.

I would take the iMac, not becuase it is any better than the intel ones, but becuase it still has many years of life left in it. You said yourself you owned a 17" iMac G, so ask yourself whether that became obselete as soon as G5's came out?

Just my $0.02AUD
  • Reply 29 of 30
    My holding off a bit on buying a 3rd mac is not because if the "intel thing", although I do admit to not understanding fully the implications of it when it was first announced. That combined with many "the sky is falling' forum threads would make anyone that is not an expert in such things a bit skittish.

My holding off on buying a third mac, (and the 3rd imac G5 in three weeks), is simply the run of bad luck I had with this batch....packing and unpacking, transferring data, driving back and forth, sitting around a genius bar, etc, does get old after a few times......I know that the odds are that if I did take the third imac, it would most likely work fine.

I'm just letting the dust settle and taking a buying break.....I have no problem buying a "pre-intel" imac, and now that a few days have passed since the "intel-panic" posts, calmer heads have prevailed, and I know that any mac I buy now will serve us well for years....regardless what apple does or does not do next year.

For those who were helpful, thank you.

Frank D.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

That's always the case

Intel-based Macs really won't realy be a big deal to the average end-user. Most people don't care nor need to care about the CPU, only that their apps work as expected.

The only benefit I can see in the app department is that assembly language optimized games would be more easily ported from Windows to OS X (x86).

yea... once in a while though, it'd be nice if it wasnt the case...