New Mac mini?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I've heard stories of people who leave machines in their carts on the Apple Online Store and then an Apple sales rep may call and see if they can get them to buy the machines. Usually the call is surprising, but it is low pressure and non-threatening.

How'd your call go?

fine, he sent me an email after as well. on the phone he informed me he is my assigned apple representative where i can call him at any time to discuss a purchase, pretty cool. i pretty much told him to update the stupid computer, there marketshare and still high selling of the mini (or any other computer) doesnt mean they should update it
  • Reply 22 of 39
    I also remember folks posting around here that they were window shopping at Apple.com and then got follow up calls from Apple. I think it was in regards to PowerBooks.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    naknak Posts: 101member
    I wonder how many sales that actually turns out to be. I mean, I like to window shop there just to see how much a tanked out system would run, but 99% I never get anything. Just another marketing strategy I s'pose.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    a j steva j stev Posts: 79member
    There seems to be a suggestion that the Mini might be getting a 64 meg vid card (FX5200) and 512 base RAM. It thats all, they can leave the price the same.

Any processor upgrade is going to be too expensive and cut into margins unless they go over the 'magical' $499 mark, which they'll be loath to do.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by a j stev

There seems to be a suggestion that the Mini might be getting a 64 meg vid card (FX5200) and 512 base RAM.

Really? That would be nice. 32MB is pretty low, but meh. Seeing as I already have a gig stick in my possesion, 512MB is just that much more incentive for some ebayer to buy it instead of 256. Unless they can cram another RAM slot into the mini (i doubt).
  • Reply 26 of 39
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    It's not that 32mb is low (I mean, it is), but it's more that it would be useless for a machine not to be able to run core image. A lot of people say its rather minute, like you just miss out on some transitions and stüff, but at the same time I could see things down the road (i.e. games, vid/pic apps) needing it.

A while back I posted that I doubted the mini will be upgraded until Paris, and for the love of god I want to be wrong so bad.... and I agree that it probably wont see more then a new vid card, 512 ram, maybe an audio in, and maybe a larger HDD on the $599 (at least optioned out).
  • Reply 27 of 39
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Mac mini news from Think Secret.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Borborygmi

I don't know either, but I want to get a mini as well.

I was going to get an iMac G5, but will wait now that the intel switch is happening.

I already have a 22" monitor, so a mini will be perfect.

The 22" on hand is a GREAT argument for a mini!
  • Reply 29 of 39
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Mac mini news from Think Secret.

This is disappointing news...What do guys think, buy now or wait it out?
  • Reply 30 of 39
    i was hoping that the increased wait time on the mac mini meant that apple was updtaing it. The mac mini is now back to same business day shipping, the only difference is it now ships with tiger, i guess that's their upgrade, come on apple you can do better. With everything that has gone on in the last couple of weeks, wwdc failure, intel, and now the mac mini, i just don't know where to place apple right now
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

This is disappointing news...What do guys think, buy now or wait it out?

If you need it, go for it, but make sure you don't get caught up in the waiting game.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

the only difference is it now ships with tiger, i guess that's their upgrade

From what I understand, it's been shipping with Tiger.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Personally, I would recommend an iMac G5 as a first Mac. The lowest end model isn't really that much more than the mini, and you get a keyboard, mouse, and a fantastic display.

...and let's not forget that processor, and it also uses a full-size HDD instead of a Laptop HDD (if that matters to you)
  • Reply 34 of 39
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

i was hoping that the increased wait time on the mac mini meant that apple was updtaing it. The mac mini is now back to same business day shipping, the only difference is it now ships with tiger, i guess that's their upgrade, come on apple you can do better.

I don't put much faith into ThinkSecret anymore. Their reliability has been going down lately. Where is the iPod mini with the color screen? Also, isn't this exactly what happened just before the iMacs were updated? The ship times went up for about a week and then returned to normal just before the weekend. Then the following week they were updated.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I don't put much faith into ThinkSecret anymore. Their reliability has been going down lately. Where is the iPod mini with the color screen? Also, isn't this exactly what happened just before the iMacs were updated? The ship times went up for about a week and then returned to normal just before the weekend. Then the following week they were updated.

I agree, I sincerely doubt that Apple would wait until August to update the mini solely because how many people buy a computer the week before school? You buy like a month in advance so you can play with it a bit, get your music and stuff on it, and generally get a feel for anything else you may need for it. Plus ordering a brand new unit takes at least 1 - 2 weeks, and you can count on CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Etc. having a back order of a month after an announcement.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    hello, first time poster on this thread, long time appleinsider. (well, 1 year i guess ??)

i am switching over from the whining about new iBooks to

whining about Mac mini.

hello

i've re-evaluated my needs and budget and best strategy is the Mac Mini route... for my parents, i'll take over their iBook g4 933mhz, i just bought some ram which brings it to 640mb, it's doing well. i'm not even going to start on the GPU, because you can never have a fast enough GPU

</ramble>
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

apple's counter-intelligence DEPT has been doing very well lately.

maybe they had a company-wide meeting and steve jobs 'executed' the mole(s) godfather-style in front of all the employees to put the fear of iGod into everyone
  • Reply 38 of 39
    gdconwaygdconway Posts: 71member
    I suspect it would be a Power God, as opposed to the consumer line of deities.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by gdconway

I suspect it would be a Power God, as opposed to the consumer line of deities.

haven't you heard? the Power line is getting a bad rep at the moment