HDTV / Home Theatre Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I recently bought component cables for my Xbox and PS2 in order to hook up to my HDTV. So the video looks great, but I am having issues with audio. I can hear the sound through the TV's speakers fine, but why doesn't the sound transfer through my stereo system? I have a standard RCA red and white connector going from the Audio Out ports on the TV to the Audio In ports on the stereo. Regular broadcast audio goes through just fine, but for some reason audio from a component or s-video connection doesn't. Solutions or explanations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    You may have to change the setting on your receiver to hear your xbox or

PS2 depending on where you hooked up the left/right audio cables to your

receiver. Most receivers inputs on the back have individual listings (tv/vcr/

dvd, aux, & etc.) For example if you wanted to watch a dvd, you would

probably have an option or button on your receiver's remote to go to the

DVD mode. If you wanted to listen to the radio, you would switch you receiver

to the Tuner mode.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Makes sense, but in my case isn't relevant per se. I have an older Aiwa system capable of outputting Dolby Pro Logic. It only has one RCA Audio In port and selecting the 'Video' button on the unit or remote selects that input. And as I said in the first post, OTA analog an digital broadcast audio works fine. It is the component audio that doesn't transmit through - even though it works on the tv's speakers. Arghh.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

I recently bought component cables for my Xbox and PS2 in order to hook up to my HDTV. So the video looks great, but I am having issues with audio. I can hear the sound through the TV's speakers fine, but why doesn't the sound transfer through my stereo system? I have a standard RCA red and white connector going from the Audio Out ports on the TV to the Audio In ports on the stereo. Regular broadcast audio goes through just fine, but for some reason audio from a component or s-video connection doesn't. Solutions or explanations?

Um, there is no audio tied in with component (red, green, blue) or s-vid. cables. Do you mean composite (red white yellow)? Am I misunderstanding you? I probably am...

Anywho, make sure the input selector on the stereo is correct with whatever you plugged the cables into on the back. Also, turn up the TV's volume.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I just though of this: on some TVs, there is a switch on the front where all the other adjustments are (volume, channel, etc). It should say Speaker On/Off or some variation thereof. If it's on, then sound won't be able to pass through to your stereo system.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nak

Um, there is no audio tied in with component (red, green, blue) or s-vid. cables. Do you mean composite (red white yellow)? Am I misunderstanding you? I probably am...

You are. Link.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

You are. Link.

yea, thought you meant a standard component cable. my bad.