Upgraded PB 1.25 15" to 1 GB RAM-Results

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I used RAM from OWC...a single 512 Module for just $54, shipped. Never have had a problem with OWC's generic RAM, despite problems I've heard about with other generic RAM in recent Powerbooks. I also ordered my Powerbook in late 2003, with one 512 module...which cost more. However, leaving the slot open was defintiely a good idea.

Result: My machine feels a lot faster in many tasks, particulary with Expose and with internet browsing and app load times. I am running the latest version of Panther, but will be upgrading to Tiger once it goes 10.4.2 retail box.

So, overall I'm really happy with the upgrade. We'll see how it runs with a clean install of Tiger.

SDW

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    666666 Posts: 134member
    that's the exact situation I'm in, and i've been questioning if I should make the plunge, well, from 768 to 1.5gig ram with a 1.25gig pbook.

Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 666

that's the exact situation I'm in, and i've been questioning if I should make the plunge, well, from 768 to 1.5gig ram with a 1.25gig pbook.

Thanks!

That's more of a toss up. I went from 512 to 1GB. It made a difference, and I think it will make more of a difference once I upgrade to Tiger.

But from 758 to 1.5? I think it depends what you do with your book.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    666666 Posts: 134member
    well, I do music, so i'm sure i'll see benefit when running Logic. And I tend to run many app's @ once. It runs quite well as it is, but I think i'll get more out of it from an upgrade. But it's money that I could spend elsewhere quite easily.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Logic is definitely RAM hungry, esp. if you're using softsynths, or Space Designer.

What I'm waiting for is the 80 & 100 GB 7200 rpm drives. That'll also make a difference in Logic, as far as how many tracks you can record/play back. Despite being "announced" for several months now, none of the drive mfgrs. seem to be able to actually ship a 2.5" 7200 rpm drive over 60 gb. I'm wondering if they've hit some kind of technical wall.