Whats coming in the next year

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So June 2006 is when the mactels are supposed to debute. That means in between every product line has to be updated at least once, save Powermacs, or so I assume. That leaves the iBooks, Powerbooks, Mac Minis, iMacs, eMacs, Cinema Displays, and iPods.

iBooks are supposeably going to be 1.33/1.42 7447's, I mean a 1.5 would be nice, but we won't push it. That pretty much means look at the last gen powerbooks, and there she blows. I mean smaller HDD, no mini-DVI and 512mb ram, but SSDC.

Powerbooks can eek out one more update using the newer 7448, however the ceiling appears to be 1.8ghz. That means PB's will probably be 1.67/1.8, 80GB - 120GB HDD's, and 512mb ram across the board, maybe a gig in the beastly 15 and the 17, because uncle steve knows that that is not much of an update.

Minis are interesting because this is where apple could have some fun. I could see a 1.42/1.67 processor line up, with 60gb/100gb HDDs, g05200s, 256/512mb ram, and maybe, just maybe an included APX card. All this for the same 499/599. That would impress my credit card right out of my wallet.

The iMacs are tricky because it is just long enough that they need an update, but just short enough that it will be pretty piss poor of one. I see maybe another 200mhz boost, maybe 250GB standard in the SD 17", and maybe a gig of ram in the dub.

The eMacs suck, moving on........

J/K...... sort of. Emacs will get a 1.5/1.67 PPC, 512 across the line, same HDD, same combo/super.

Cinema displays are the red-headed step children. Everyone keeps forgetting about them. Lest we forget it has been a year since we got new ones, macrumors counts price drops as updates, which although nice, are not updates. I want to see something new, but I don't know what. Maybe a new size, something inbetween the 23" and 30", like a 25" or 27", I dunno.

iPods have also been kind of lagging. I remember a time when every other day they had something new goin on, now its just sitting there. I guess a 40GB monochrome would be nice, especially for 299 - 349, but I doubt we will see that, likewise I don't foresee a 80GB - 100GB iPod photo happening. I guess a 2GB shuffle would be cool, but mine has given me all kinds of trouble; enough that I want something else, and I have this unnatural hatred of the mini's, I mean, 249 for 6GB, 299 for 20? WTF? I guess maybe we will get lucky and they will release a 10GB monochrome for 199 and send the mini's packing. Yeah, Like that would happen.

I guess if anyone can fill in holes, knock yourselves out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    i want to see apple computers step into 2005 and update the computers when they can not when people stop buying them
  • Reply 2 of 34
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. J

So June 2006 is when the mactels are supposed to debute.

Jobs said they would introduce them in 2006, and be shipping them by the next WWDC in June 2006. That sounded to me like one may be introduced before next WWDC. Who knows, they may even announce their first - say, a Yonah-based PowerBook - at the January convention.

Quote:

That means in between every product line has to be updated at least once, save Powermacs, or so I assume. That leaves the iBooks, Powerbooks, Mac Minis, iMacs, eMacs, Cinema Displays, and iPods.

Why "save PowerMacs?" Are you saying PowerMacs won't be updated before they go Intel? That doesn't make sense, for all kinds of reasons. PowerMacs are likely to make the transition to Intel last, and PowerMacs are likely to get those great new PowerPC products "in the pipeline" that Jobs mentioned.

IMO, everything with a G4 will be updated to Intel as soon as possible. iMacs haven't used the FX yet, so they'll stay G5 for a while longer, but they'll be next, say late 2006, and finally the PowerMac in 2007.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Jobs said at the WWDC that by this time next year, there will already be Intel Macs in the market place. Yonah PowerBooks are my expectation for MacWorld San Fran in January.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I say...

Siggraph 2005 (August)

New Dual dual-core 970MP CPUs in PowerMacs

(possibly PCIe w/SLI & pro-level OpenGL cards)

Between now & end of 2005

PowerBooks, iBooks, Mac mini & eMac updates (all G4 based products, all moving to the 7448...)

All the G4 updates above are 'quiet' updates

MWSF 2006 (January)

Yohan-powered dual-core iMacs & PowerBooks

Leading up to WWDC 2006, when Steve will announce PowerMacs w/Intel, and say that everything went a lot smoother in the transistion, and focus on the move of the entire Mac line to 64-bit goodness with fully 64-bit OS X 10.5 Leopard...!
  • Reply 5 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i was going to update my two macs to tiger.....so should i wait till leopard???
  • Reply 6 of 34
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

i was going to update my two macs to tiger.....so should i wait till leopard???

Leopard is still a year and a half away - can you wait that long with both machines? How about updating one in the coming months, and then updating the other to a Leopard running intel mac?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Why "save PowerMacs?" Are you saying PowerMacs won't be updated before they go Intel? That doesn't make sense, for all kinds of reasons. PowerMacs are likely to make the transition to Intel last, and PowerMacs are likely to get those great new PowerPC products "in the pipeline" that Jobs mentioned.

What are these 'all kind of reasons'?

Why will PM's get the intel treatment last?

What makes you think Powermac's are going to get any 'great new PowerPC products'? Wouldn't they have already gotten them before in the last update instad of that 'great new' 200mhz bump? If there is any talk of 970MP's, a large jump within itself, going into the Powermacs, right before switching to a new processor line all together, how does that make any sense?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. J

What are these 'all kind of reasons'?

1. Jobs emphasized the performance/watt ratio in his explanation of the switch.

2. Apple hurts the most in laptops right now, not PowerMacs.

3. The newest and fastest PowerPC products wouldn't go into low-end machines, they'd go into the high-end first.

4. The first Intel chips that Apple uses may not be 64-bit, which is a feature of the current PowerMacs but not PowerBooks.

5. All the news reports that discuss this issue indicate their sources say that's what Apple is planning.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I just watched the keynote again, and Steve Jobs said that by the 2006 WWDC they will be shipping Intel-based Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I just watched the keynote again, and Steve Jobs said that by the 2006 WWDC they will be shipping Intel-based Macs.

Unfortunately that gives him a year to announce and start shipping new products. He could announce new products tomorrow, or he could announce them the day before the next WWDC...
  • Reply 11 of 34
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    It may be a long year and a half ahead ....
  • Reply 12 of 34
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I think that an upgrade to Airport is coming.

Apple are usually the first out of the gate with new wireless hardware

A technology based on 802.11n seems likely.

Carni
  • Reply 13 of 34
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    What is coming this next year will be consumer machines that can match the otherside in Hardware performance. A 1.5 G4 or 2.0 G5 doesnt match a how many year old P4 @3.0?? thats the heart of the matter. Jobs saw the light. Its about the Consumer, it aint about that 1 developer out of thousands or that 1 pro out of 100s. Its about those billions of other folks. Apples 3% of the market shows they got that 1 developer or few pro's but that isnt where the money is. iPod opened up the closed eyes at Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

What is coming this next year will be consumer machines that can match the otherside in Hardware performance. A 1.5 G4 or 2.0 G5 doesnt match a how many year old P4 @3.0?? thats the heart of the matter. Jobs saw the light. Its about the Consumer, it aint about that 1 developer out of thousands or that 1 pro out of 100s. Its about those billions of other folks. Apples 3% of the market shows they got that 1 developer or few pro's but that isnt where the money is. iPod opened up the closed eyes at Apple.

I think that everyone here knows that this is behind the switch to Intel processors. The question is not what will come out in next year, but what updates we will see to the line-up before the switch to Intel begins.

Both the Mini and iBook are ripe for updates, and neither one will probably make it through till San Francisco in January without being extreamly out of date even by Apple's standards. We are also going into the part of the year that these computers should have a stong demand, back to school and Christmass, so it is logical that either in July or August there will be an update to these computers. Given the current chips available by Freescale we will probably see them released at 1.42-1.5 Ghz, with the outside chance of 1.67. Apple will probably update them as little as possible so that when they release their Intel counterparts next year they can say "See what a big leap foreword in performance that the Intel chip has brought us." At the same time they would be hard pressed to push the computers with specs that are a year old, an ~200 mhz jump is a minimum that we should expect which would put the Mini at 1.42 and 1.67 Ghz, with an upgrade to the memory to start at 512 MB and a slightly better graphics system that could take advantage of Core Image and Video.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I'd like to see 7448-based iBooks in Aug/Sep 05, and Pentium M (Centrino)-based PowerBooks in Jan 06. Unfortunately, it looks like the 7448 will be too late (Yonah is quite a ways off). Centrino-based Mini's could come out in Mar 06 timeframe, altho a 7448 model is also a possibility. The eMac will stagnate and be discontinued shortly after WWDC 06. I wouldn't expect any changes to the PowerMac at all; sales will go to near-zero.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    The whole speculation behind when are the iBooks and miniMacs are being updated should prove to be where Apple is going to start. I think we may see that the Intel chips may begin surfacing even sooner than anyone is predicting. I don't think they will be here by the School rush, but possibly by Christmas, I could see.

And why not, he just said that they would be shipping them by next year. No where did he say that they weren't going to start doing it until 2006. If anything he purposely kept it open, just so they could make the changes in the design, and get them out as soon as possible, even if that means End of 2005.

And remember, even if it is Intel based, it won't matter to the end user, because of Rosetta, which will be shipped on each of those machines.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

The whole speculation behind when are the iBooks and miniMacs are being updated should prove to be where Apple is going to start. I think we may see that the Intel chips may begin surfacing even sooner than anyone is predicting. I don't think they will be here by the School rush, but possibly by Christmas, I could see.

And why not, he just said that they would be shipping them by next year. No where did he say that they weren't going to start doing it until 2006. If anything he purposely kept it open, just so they could make the changes in the design, and get them out as soon as possible, even if that means End of 2005.

And remember, even if it is Intel based, it won't matter to the end user, because of Rosetta, which will be shipped on each of those machines.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

I think that if they were going to ship them this year they would have given developers a but more of an immediate warning so that they could have products ready to deliver when the Intel computers hit the market, especially given the fact that some developers work in Code Warrior, or have altivec optimizations that would take a while to convert over to the new development environment/processor. Apple will need the "core" applications converted by the developers for their initial product market, apparently consumer's, when they release the new computers. It would be even better if they had some of the overall "core" Mac market apps ready to go as well, such as PhotoShop, Quark, InDesign, and Microsoft Word so that they can show off the "benefits" of the switch right away. I think that even a November/December timeframe is too short for any developer except Apple to update their code, optamize it, and adequatly test and trouble shoot their applications. I woldnt look for Intel based Macs to appear till February or March, probably anounced in January in San Francisco.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I think few things are coming this year and others next.

Here is a list:

Aiport Express with remote control and iphoto itegration.

Cinema displays cheaper and 40"+ HD screen.

lapzila 20" wit HD screen.

15" & 17" PB with HD screen.

Small speed bumps in the PB and Ibook until Intel comes along.

Small speed bumps on the PowerMac G5. Hopefully price drops.

Apple HD DVR.

Well let's hope so!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

I think few things are coming this year and others next.

Here is a list:

Aiport Express with remote control and iphoto itegration.

Cinema displays cheaper and 40"+ HD screen.

lapzila 20" wit HD screen.

15" & 17" PB with HD screen.

Small speed bumps in the PB and Ibook until Intel comes along.

Small speed bumps on the PowerMac G5. Hopefully price drops.

Apple HD DVR.

Well let's hope so!

Airport Express w/remote, possibly. It is needed and has been hinted at by Apple. iPhoto integration, probably not as they would need to add video to it which would add to the cost.

Cinema displays will probably not drop again in price this year given Apple's track record for price drops on these. 40" LCD possibly.

PB updates this year will be minimal at best, don't look for anything too drastic.

PowerMacs won't get an update till next year.

Apple HD DVR, would be nice, but don't hold your breath.

Look to the hardware that is ready for updates, iBook and Mac Mini, doubt these will be drastic either but are needed to keep sales up till Apple is ready to release their Intel powered versions Q2 of next year.

Maybe a suprise, like a media center but I wouldn't count on it till the next iteraton of WiFi is adobted and released by Apple in their AirPort product line.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It doesn't make sense to make the Powermac last to upgrade to intel for many reasons. The biggest reason is that these are the PRO machines. These are the machines that developers use more than any other machine. This is what devs will need to start porting (without renting what is avail now). This is why I call BS on the mac mini and iBooks being first to be updated. It doesn't make sense!