Any PDAs That Work With Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm headed to college in August with my new [amazing] Powerbook. First time Mac user (for personal stuff, at least.) I was wondering if ther eare any PDAs that work well with MacOSX. I currently have Verizon cellphone service if a cell-based PDA device is recommended.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I use my Newton 2000 ... cool to have a device that gets respect for its age and what it can do.

Also, the SE P800 does organizer stuff for me. I don't need a full PDA all the time - so I have 2 Macs at work, a server at home. If I need e.g. to update addressbook data, I bring it on an external hard drive (an old 40 GB Powerbook harddrive in a portable fw case), so the PDAs main point is to write notes when I don't have a pen and paper. Or when not in the mood to carry the hard drive, then plug the files I'll need on another Mac either to one of the 3 iPods, or ssh to my own account of my Mac to get the data I need.

So, today P800 had to do some organizer stuff to plan some meetings, and to add some shopping list stuff, simply because I didn't have a pen and paper..
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by greenhybrid

I'm headed to college in August with my new [amazing] Powerbook. First time Mac user (for personal stuff, at least.) I was wondering if ther eare any PDAs that work well with MacOSX. I currently have Verizon cellphone service if a cell-based PDA device is recommended.

Thanks in advance.

I use PocketMac Pro to sync my Ipaq 5555 pda to my iMac at home. Acitive sync takes care of the sync at work with my pc. PocketMac Pro works better than active sync!

http://www.pocketmac.net/

So purchase a pocket pc PDA, I prefer Ipaq's since there is no Apple equivelant at the moment, and be happy.

PocketMac does support some, if not most, pocket pc based phone pda's.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

e SE P800 does organizer stuff for me. I don't need a full PDA all the time - so I have 2 Macs at work, a server at home. If I need e.g. to update addressbook data, I bring it on an external hard drive (an old 40 GB Powerbook harddrive in a portable fw case), so the PDAs main point is to write notes when I don't have a pen and paper. Or when not in the mood to carry the hard drive, then plug the files I'll need on another Mac either to one of the 3 iPods, or ssh to my own account of my Mac to get the data I need.

So, today P800 had to do some organizer stuff to plan some meetings, and to add some shopping list stuff, simply because I didn't have a pen and paper..

YOu mean you wag around all that technology JUST in case you don't have pen and paper?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    My Treo 600 works great on all my Macs.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I'll second the Treo recomendation.

650 has Bluetooth and can sync and transfer files back and forth with it. The camera is poor (well, it's a cell phone, not a Canon) but it makes it simple to transfer those pics to the Mac.

If you pay for the service from your cellphone provider (I don't, but it was free for the first month I had it with Sprint) the phone will double (using Bluetooth) as a modem for connecting BT equipped Mac to the internet!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I use a palm tungsten t3 with my iBook and mac mini. To sync it, I use Missing Sync by Mark/Space. I think it works really well for the most part and I really love my T3. The only problem that really annoys me is that the iCal calendars do not sync categories with the palm. So, for instance, your "personal" and "business" calendars are shown as the same category on the palm. This is annoying because the colors no longer help distinguish the two different calendars.

Since the T3 is harder to come by these days, I recommend getting the Palm Lifedrive (Wifi, bluetooth, 4GB hard drive, Palm OS 5.4, 320x480 screen, etc...), however the battery life is not too stellar.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    oh yeah, i also used the T3 during my final year in undergrad and used it to record lectures. Although the audio quality wasn't the best - you have to sit up in front of class - it was pretty helpful for those times you fall asleep during lectures
  • Reply 8 of 9
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I've had 2 palm PDA's both to use for school- one in high school (Palm III) and one for college (Palm m505).

Never used either. It was too much of a pain to keep them in sync with the computer.

Right now I have a SE T616 and an iMac and just use iSync and it works just fine. I recommend trying to do most of your scheduling on the powerbook. Keep the powerbook in sleep mode so you'll always have instant on. Keep iCal and Address Book open at all times so it's easy to input events and contacts on the go.

Get a SE cell phone and Salling Clicker and you'll be organized enough.

PDAs are in rough shape right now. They don't work very well at all. The LifeDrive is the coolest one right now, but it's still a pain to sync and enter information.

Peace

-taco
  • Reply 9 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by greenhybrid

Thanks in advance.

If you're just starting college, I would recommend that you get a paper calendar/diary with a MONTH view (so you can see what's coming up) and invest in some 3x5 or 4x6 notecards for to-dos. Once you figure out how you work, then you'll know if a PDA would help.