OSX Tiger Speed Increase?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey,

This weekend I am thinking of purchasing OSX Tiger. I currently run OSX 10.2.8 Jaguar on my 1.6 Ghz PowerMac G5 with 1.5 GB Ram and the 5200 Ultra video board.

What kind of speed increases can I expect?

Will I notice improved graphics performance?

Will any speed increase affect the apps I currently use, especially in the graphic design area? (performance & rendering)

Will it automatically take advantage of all my Ram or do I have to configure it in any way?

Does it come with a manual and if not where is a good place on the internet to learn about all the new features?

Thanks for all the help!!

I figure between the Panther and Tiger releases I'm looking at over 400 new features, so seems like a great time to update.

Lastly, will the fact that it is a 64-bit app help that I am on a 64-bit machine?

Thanks again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Spotlight is amazing.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

>What kind of speed increases can I expect?

You should see a pretty good improvement going from 10.2 to 10.4

Quote:

>Will I notice improved graphics performance?

Depends on what area you are looking for performance, but you should notice some general speedups all over

Quote:

>Will any speed increase affect the apps I currently use, especially in the graphic design area? (performance & rendering)

What Apps?

Quote:

>Will it automatically take advantage of all my Ram or do I have to configure it in any way?

It will deal with RAM the same way 10.2 does, you don't need to configure anything

Quote:

>Does it come with a manual and if not where is a good place on the internet to learn about all the new features?

It comes with a book, but the new features are pretty well explained on: http://www.apple.com/macosx/
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    This weekend I am thinking of purchasing OSX Tiger. I currently run OSX 10.2.8 Jaguar on my 1.6 Ghz PowerMac G5 with 1.5 GB Ram and the 5200 Ultra video board.

sweet

What kind of speed increases can I expect?

noticeable improvements in web browsing, bootup time, edit: also Java applets and applications seem much better

yes, in the sense of those things that use CoreImage and Quartz2DExtreme. eg. a cool RSS screensaver

Will any speed increase affect the apps I currently use, especially in the graphic design area? (performance & rendering)

personally i can't say because you've already got a nice machine there. if you were going from 10.3.9 to 10.4.1 then i would say you may not notice much. but since you are going from 10.2.8 to 10.4.1 , i would say it is likely you will notice improvements in performance and rendering, definitely improvements in overall productivity

Will it automatically take advantage of all my Ram or do I have to configure it in any way?

it will definitely take advantage of all your RAM. in photoshop however you can make sure it uses say up to 1GB of RAM if you need it in preferences>memory settings or something like that

Does it come with a manual and if not where is a good place on the internet to learn about all the new features?

AFAIK there are online tutorials and stuff ~ check with your dealer or online. if you have .Mac there are videos to watch

Lastly, will the fact that it is a 64-bit app help that I am on a 64-bit machine?

it will make you feel good. other than that, technically, i don't think it will really do anything super kickass

Overall Tiger is fun..! especially by the time you buy, you would upgrade straight to 10.4.2 so a lot of the bugs in 10.4.0 (buggy) and 10.4.1 (not as buggy) should be worked out in 10.4.2 (what should be the 'real' gold master)

for your apps as well i think 10.4.2 is ready to be deployed as a 'production' environment.

just watch how fast 10.4.1 already boots up on my iBook g4 933mhz 640mb ram
  • Reply 4 of 10
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

yes, in the sense of those things that use CoreImage and Quartz2DExtreme. eg. a cool RSS screensaver

Quartz 2D Extreme is turned off by default. Aside from the ripple effect used by dashboard, I don't know of any CoreImage apps.

You will have to wait for updates to the OS and other apps before you see any improvements in this area.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    "Quartz 2D Extreme is turned off by default. Aside from the ripple effect used by dashboard, I don't know of any CoreImage apps."

ripple effect on dashboard, RSS screensaver, and Keynote 2 transitions and effects use CoreImage

yes, hopefully 10.4.2 will turn on quartz 2D Extreme to 'default on'

"You will have to wait for updates to the OS and other apps before you see any improvements in this area"

i would say if one is using Keynote2 you will see definite improvements
  • Reply 6 of 10
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    I encountered some sluggishness going from 10.3.9 to 10.4 on my iMac G5 when I did a straight upgrade. I then backed everything up and did a completely fresh install and it's running great, really quick. I'd advise, if at all possible do an archive and install or fresh install, it was worth the extra effort!!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

I encountered some sluggishness going from 10.3.9 to 10.4 on my iMac G5 when I did a straight upgrade. I then backed everything up and did a completely fresh install and it's running great, really quick. I'd advise, if at all possible do an archive and install or fresh install, it was worth the extra effort!!

definitely. plus, fresh install gives you that brand-new-computer feeling. for free.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

definitely. plus, fresh install gives you that brand-new-computer feeling. for free.

Dude, that's sick!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    (Slightly OT)

I have never done an "Archive and install".... what kind of things will I have to migrate over from my previous system folder, and how much of a pain is it?

Does it only move over previously installed SETTINGS? or, for instance, does it also migrate application support folders, etc?

---a little puzzled....

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    Before you even think of upgrading your Mac, perform a Repair Permissions in Disk Utility, then run Disk Warrior 3.0.3 to check out/rebuild your directory structure to a pristine condition. Tech Tool Pro 4.0.4 will also do a good job of checking out your Volume structure and repairing it if necessary. The important issue is that if your directory structure is not pristine, replacing system code could lead to serious problems.

If you've installed any system-modifying utilities (to enhance your graphical user interface (GUI), for example), remove them before performing the upgrade. Also be sure to upgrade all the applications you use to a Tiger compatible version. Uninstall all traces of any Symantec/Norton applications you may have, since they're not Tiger compatible (be sure to search including looking for invisible files, and don't forget the Startup Folder check for Norton Utilities for Macintosh (NUM) compatibility check stuff). Microsoft Office should work fine.

Once you're satisfied that your directory structure is clean and your applications will run in Tiger, then select the Archive and Install option when you run the Tiger installer. This will preserve all your old applications, network settings, and user environment customization settings. After the installation is complete and your Mac reboots, briefly startup each of your applications to see if anything is amiss (you may have to reinstall some). If you're using Kensington Mouseworks or some other special device drivers, you'll have to reinstall them. After you're done briefly testing each of your applications, leave the Mac alone for an hour or so to give Spotlight time to index your hard drive (look for the blinking dot in the Spotlight icon in the upper right corner of your menu bar). Now, rerun Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. Then, Shutdown (not Restart) your Mac. Wait a few seconds, then reboot.

This reboot should be substantially faster than what you experienced under Jaguar. Now would be a good time to run Software Update in System Preferences, and don't forget to run Repair Permissions again when you're done with any system updates.

Enjoy!