Copying DVDs (movies). Straigh duplication. Easy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My sister owns and old copy of Bambi on VHS and she doesnt want to buy a new copy. So she wants to know if she borrows the DVD from the video shop, how easy is it to copy is onto the computer, and then burn it?

I know nothing about DVDs, but surely simply copying a movie like that cant be too hard? Would you simply copy the entire disc's files to your computer and then later burn them onto a blank DVD? Is that it?

i know this isn't legal, according to copyright laws, but she has little money and doesnt see why she should have to buy the same film twice!

If you can help, it'd be much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    the commercial dvd movies are in an encrypted format. so even if you copy the entire disk as a master, it will not out. you would need to copy the keys of the dvd as well, and those are written on a part of dvd not accessible to normal commercial dvd burners.

so you can't do it straight with disk utility. there are some third party programs that manage to do what you want, but i don't remember the names of any right now.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You need something DVDBackup or Mac the Ripper, which are free.

A movie like Bambi is probably single layer (around 4 gigabytes), so you'd just have to burn it after you rip it. I use Toast to burn, and I'm not sure if you can burn with any Apple standard software, because I believe it has to be set up as a video DVD. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with the burner in the Finder, but I haven't tried it.

Most new releases are on dual layer disks (closer to 8 gigabytes), in which case you'd either need to burn it to a dual layer DVD or compress it with something like DVD2one or Roxio Popcorn before burning.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    /dons flame suit

Hi, I have this crusty cassette of my fav band and I don't want to buy it again but I want it on SuperCD.

Please...

Go find a haXors web forum (where they will tell you Macs suck).

/decides not to come back to this topic to see scathing replies I may have earned
  • Reply 4 of 18
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoranS

/dons flame suit

Hi, I have this crusty cassette of my fav band and I don't want to buy it again but I want it on SuperCD.

Please...

/decides not to come back to this topic to see scathing replies I may have earned

omitted

• Reply 5 of 18
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    thanks to those that helped. I'll try what you suggested. Also, ive got an iMac G5 1.8Ghz with the Superdrive, can it burn duel-layered DVDs? Or only single layered 4.7GB ones?

Thank you
  • Reply 6 of 18
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoranS

/dons flame suit

Please...

Gosh man, I feel your pain. Now release your anger and let it flow within you!

I mean, uh, if I already bought M. Jackson's Thriller on Vinyl, why the hell should I have to pay again for it on CD? And in a case like Bambi, what are the chances that the original artists who created the movie are still getting royalties off DVD sales? Most of them are probably dead!

Here's another one for you: I bought Pink Floyd's The Wall on CD when it was first released. Now there are like 20 newer releases of The Wall, all newly remastered in varying degrees of high-bit goodness. So am I supposed to cough up dough for a CD of The Wall that's finally mastered the way it should have been back in the 80s? Or should I deny that fat pig David Gilmour any more cash and get the music I've already paid for by other means?

Anyways it's good to keep artists poor; less money for drugs and more time for creating!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lol, Junkyard Dawg, i love your argument. Very well put.

Anyway... my problems continue.

Ive now managaed to extract the files, compress them all done to the right size and ive then tested these files in 'DVD Player'. My logic being that if they play there they'll play in a DVD player... yes?

So i drag my folder named 'VIDEO_TS' into DVD Player and it plays... just like a normal DVD

but i read somewhere that when you burning them to disk, you burn another folder named 'AUDIO_TS'on there too.

OK. So i burnt to a blank DVD the folders 'AUDIO_TS' and 'VIDEO_TS' and it wouldn't play!

So ive now inserted the original DVD, and ive noticed that it only has a 'VIDEO_TS' file. So should i only burn my 'VIDEO_TS' file to disk?

Also, is there a particular something i should be naming the disk?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Movie DVDs aren't written in the same format as data DVDs. You'll need a program like toast or popcorn which supports choosing a VIDEO_TS folder to burn as a movie DVD instead of data DVD.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Also some DVD players are more picky than others about burned DVDs and such.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    This may sound ridiculous... but it works... and it was my mate who figured it out... as he has had the same prob.

Disneys dvd's are a bitch to copy.

Firstly. I will go on record as saying that this topic should ahve been locked long ago as it really does deal with pirating.

But anyways, if the mods are slow, I have time to offer this one tip.

I tried ripping Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch and others. I too already own them, but having kids, I wanted shitty plain dvd copies that my kids can wreck and I won't care.

Load the dvd into dvd player on your mac.... then, seriously, click on every possible menu. Go into all the extras, the scene selections, the audio commentaries what have you... and click on them. Once you have clicked every possible window...

Then try running Mac The Ripper on it. You will find that it copies and works fine.

I think you are missing a step in toast for burning... but as I said... I was only offering one tip. And I only offered it because Eisner has to go

Now I know that most of you will think this is bullshit... but try it.

This is the only way that my mates have been able to rip these dvd's

And as far as artists are concerned... I work as an animator... company name withheld... and I think you should really go out and buy the dvd's.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    download mac the ripper and dvd2oneX

buy dvd2onex (around $60, depending on the exchange rate at time of purchase...there are free alternatives, but I have not gotten them to reliably work...and their quality is often pretty shabby too...also, this works with absolutely every dvd I have tried...I know there are issues with some newer dvds out there...but I haven't had any issues yet)

rip the dvd with mac the ripper

process it with dvd2onex, making sure to check the box saying "Create Image" (then name the image the same thing as the original dvd)

open disk utility, make sure the disk image shows up (if not, mount the image, then "eject" it).

Click "Burn" in Disk utility, pop in a blank dvd-r.

Viola. Beautiful DVDs that are high-fidelity copies. (They are compressed more than the original DVDs, so some of the quality is lost...just as it is when you rip a CD or copy a cd or song from it to tape).

NB Everyone in the world wants you to think this is illegal, and that your grandchildren will be doing hard labor for your transgressions long after you are dead. But copyright law and intellectual property law are far from clear on this issue. Pirating in the strict legal sense only applies to making a profit from your copies. (The RIAA and the MPAA are doing everything in their power to change this, both in the minds of citizens and the eyes of the law--and they are rapidly succeeding at both...but they haven't won yet.) According to the DMCA, circumventing the copy-protection on DVDs is illegal, but the constitutionality of the DMCA has not yet been fully tested.

Personally, I think we do democracy and freedom a disservice when we all cower in front of the all mighty corporations and their effing "intellectual property." Especially frikkin Disney, which pretends to "own" Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, the Little Mermaid, etc...Sheesh, in this legal and social environment, Shakespeare never would have written a g*dd*mn word! (Sorry about the rant, but the gist of it is: I hope your sister and whatever little ones pitter-patter around her, enjoy watching Bambi. And please do so guilt free.)
  • Reply 12 of 18
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Look here for the Mac video forum.

You may want to look at DVDimager.

Set your burning preferences to DVD/CD Master and your set.

REMEMBER: duplication of copy protected material is in violation of applicable laws etc. etc...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Nice post DCQ. I didn't realize that DVD2one could let you burn like that without toast. But what about this situation where (I'm guessing) Bambi is a single-layer DVD? Is there a way to burn, without having to get Toast or DVD2One, after you rip?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    err
  • Reply 15 of 18
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
  • Reply 16 of 18
    im sure some of you will be pleased to know that i have succeeded. And i dont feel guilty.

Thanks for your suggestions people. I ended up using the following apps:

MacTheRipper

DVD2One

Toast 6.0 Titanium

it took several attempts before i got it right. I had set it up in MacTheRipper so that it removed the regional code, but i later worked out that my DVD player (PS2) doesnt like region-free DVDs.

I was also using the wrong burn option in Toast at one point. I was burning it as a Mac Data Disc rather than using the 'DVD-ROM (UDF)' option.

I have since noticed there is also the 'Video' tab which has a 'DVD-Video' option. One day i might try that out too.

The only downside to my copied DVD is that i dont seem to be able to skip from one chapter to the next (i also removed the bonus material and menu screen, but that was intentional)

That's all
  • Reply 17 of 18
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Nice post DCQ. I didn't realize that DVD2one could let you burn like that without toast. But what about this situation where (I'm guessing) Bambi is a single-layer DVD? Is there a way to burn, without having to get Toast or DVD2One, after you rip?

I'm not sure about all the ins and outs. I frankly don't know why it works, what it's doing, or even what a "vob," "ifo," or "bup" is (I know that's not terribly geeky of me), but it does what I want it to, and that's all I care about.

I've tried using Toast once (on a friend's comp), and honestly I feel using disk utility is easier. It's definitely reliable (and free, which was important to me). I've never had a problem with a disk I've burned. Of course, I'm keeping the region coding the same as the original. And I'm even leaving the UOPs (User Operation Prohibition...I figured out what those are ) in place because I've heard that you can sometimes get errors on some disks without them. In fact, I even make sure to name my burned DVDs exactly the same as the original, just in case some smart@ss DVD author decided to link some menu or other to the DVD title. Perhaps a tad paranoid, I know. I'm definitely on the play-it-safe side right now, since I'm relatively ignorant of the underlying technology and what it's actually doing.

I just know it works. And I'm glad.

Glad things seem to be working out spiers69. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the chapter skipping problem, but be sure to name your DVDs in the standard way (all caps, no spaces (use underscores instead), no nonstandard characters). I've actaully seen one commercial DVD with lowercase letters, but I've heard this can cause problems. Other than that, if you continue to have problems with feature-only disks, you might try using disk utility. I did this with my "Incredibles" DVD (my only feature-only copy which I backed up so my daughter wouldn't scratch the original), and it skips chapters without a hitch. Other than that, the problem may reside with that particular movie (DVD2onex apparently has problems with specific individual disks and the programmers have to work on those and patch it) or with the PS2. Check online message boards.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    i named it correctly. with CAPS and all that.

The odd thing about the skipping is this:

before i successfully burnt the copy that wont change chapters, i tried to burn exactly the same movie, but i got bored waiting for it to burn and started surfing the net and listening to music. In the end, (cause my computer is lacking RAM?) it had a burn error and only burnt half the film (to the 15th chapter).

So i quit toast and set it all up agian, so that i was exactly the same and re-burnt it. With success. (this is my good copy - the one that i cant skip chapters on!)

I later checked my copy with the burn error and found that i could skip chapters on it.

Im sure they're the same too!