Ordered My First Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So, I've had the 2nd & 3rd generation iPod and loved them, of course...

Back in the day I hated Apple for the same reason most PC users hate Macs: no reason. I got the iPod and realized there has to be something to all of this.

I fell in love.

When I realized the money involved in highschool graduation parties, I decided to save that money to get my first Mac. Considering I have a desktop PC, I decided on the Powerbook.

I will be going to Art school in Pittsburgh so I went big:

17in Powerbook / 2GB RAM / 100GB HD

Rawr! I am sooo excited. Just ordered today and they say there is a warehouse right in PA (I'm in OH) so it should take about 2 days max.

Ok, I'm done.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanschmidt

Back in the day I hated Apple for the same reason most PC users hate Macs: no reason. I got the iPod and realized there has to be something to all of this.

I fell in love.

Congrats on the new purchase! You will love it.

I was a long-time PC user, but I ended up buying my first Mac back in May for the same reasons. I got my first iPod (6 gig mini) back in February and I fell in love with it. I then saw the announcement for Tiger and told my wife that I had the itch. I ended up making the purchase the day that Tiger was released.

Macs are fun! 8)
  • Reply 2 of 13
    naknak Posts: 101member
    iPod halo effect has some merit, then. Good luck with your new 'book!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

I fell in love.

When I realized the money involved in highschool graduation parties, I decided to save that money to get my first Mac. Considering I have a desktop PC, I decided on the Powerbook.

Rawr! I am sooo excited. Just ordered today and they say there is a warehouse right in PA (I'm in OH) so it should take about 2 days max.

Ok, I'm done.

I bought my first Mac in 1999 or 2000. I'd just lost two years worth of writing when my Pentium MMX 1.66 MHz machine (It was manufactured by NEC) crashed, well, Windows crashed actually, and I was able, via booting into DOS to save most of my work, most, but not all, that I'd had enough.

I spent a grand at CompUSA and bought a refurbed blueberry iMac 350MHZ G3 running OS9. I fell in love with it as soon as I set it up. A year later I bought a second hand G3 400 MHz tower for my wife, and a later upgraded from the G3 iMac to a Dual 1.25 GHz MDD, which I am still using very happily today.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I am being tormented by Fedex, they are taking too long to deliver it from the state right next to me! AHHH!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    FedEx is good, compared to UPS IMO. I ordered some memory from Crucial, and the box they gave me was all banged up . Luckily the RAM was fine. Guess that's what boxes are for .
  • Reply 6 of 13
    There is a definate halo effect. My iPod mini was my first Apple purchase ever. Now I'm saving for a Powerbook to replace my Windows PC AND I've convinced my sister-in-law to get a Mac of some sort because her PC was annhilated by a virus.

scott
  • Reply 7 of 13
    good call
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I switched in late January to a Mac mini after years of lusting for the hardware. Oddly, I've had a reverse iPod effect; I want one now, only after owning a Mac and recognizing the simplicity. iPods were almost ridiculas to me, even in December. I'd been holding out for the precious Powerbook G5 that never came, and finally decided to give in.

I'm so glad I did, even if I'm not mobile for now, and even if there are new Mini upgrades on the way.

You've got to start somewhere.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    Quote:

I fell in love.

Ok, I'm done.

Hi and welcome to the world of Macintosh. Personally, I've been using Apple (not just the Mac) since 1980 when my dad bought an Apple II+ for the family. I fell in love with that and the rest is history.

I recommend abusing your education discount for your software purchases.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    im new to the mac world to i jus ordered my first mac, a 15' powerbook and apple/fedex is tormenting me. i decided to get the 128mb vram upgrade. i ordered on 6/06 and it didnt ship till 6/17 it was delayed from its original ship date 6/10 due to a lack of inventory. but now its in fedex's hands and it is coming from cali on a freaking truck to florida and its taking way too long for me...i really regret the ground shipping now! altho at the time i wansnt expecting a 7 day delay. a friend of mine who is also on his first mac purchased a 12' pb on the day mine was supposed to ship and his shipped the following day and got it in less than a week. we both started from 3rd gen ipods!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Welcome to the humble world of Apple!

Anywho, when you do get your powerbook, you will find out that it is well worth the wait.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Ok, I'm done.

my keyboard is sparking from all the drooling on it

• Reply 13 of 13
    Well, I got the Powerbook Tuesday and yes, it was well worth the wait. I am so amazed. As I said before, this is my first Mac, but, not only my first Mac- when I took it out of the box, it was the first time I had EVER used a Mac. I had been following the OS features and hearing people talk the OS up so much, I knew I could not go wrong.

Since the Powerbook's arrival, my mother will be ordering an iBook soon and my father a mini mac.

Life is good.