The Charlie Rose Show

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Anyone watch Monday night's Charlie Rose Show? It was good. When he has interesting guest's on the show, it runs out of time much too quickly.

He had three guest's on, WALTER MOSSBERG Personal Technology Columnist,

The Wall Street Journal,

THOMAS BLEHA Journalist, "Down to the Wire" in Foreign Affairs,

and STACY SCHIFF

Author, "A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America".

Just some quickies; Mossberg (whom I've always thought of as being a bit anti-Apple and pro-MS) is pretty fired up on all things Mac. Especially OS X on Intel. He's very good at condensing a lot of info into succint sentences. Even with Charlie interupting and finishing sentences, as usual...

Bleha made some pointed comments on the US's abysmal broadband situation. We are falling way behind Asia (Japan in particular) in terms of speed to cost.

Schiff reminded us Americans that if it weren't for those Amphibian loving Frenchies, our revolution probably would have failed at that time. For a long time maybe.

It's still a good show at times. That is all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Fantastic show, I agree. PBS is pretty much the only worthwhile television out there.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Fantastic show, I agree. PBS is pretty much the only worthwhile television out there.

Enjoy it now because it looks to be getting the FOX News makeover soon.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    THT, I hope not...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Amen! Sorry i missed it. NPR rocks too.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

I love the Charlie Rose show, too, though I don't catch it as often as I'd like.

The whole point of public broadcasting is that its freedom from having to cater to profit-motivated interests allows it to provide programs like his, with the opportunity for in-depth, commercial-free discussions on an incredibly wide-ranging array of topics.

I think he has the quintessential dream job. Can you imagine how wonderful it would be to meet, get to know, and 'grill' (haha ) all the most interesting, most dynamic people on the planet?

Lately I have listened to some rants about NPR/PBS on conservative talk radio, and have been dismayed to discover that some of these hosts actually claim to have "once watched 'part' of a program on PBS", and then proceed to judge the network based on their minimal experience.

They actually get outraged that PBS receives some financial support from major companies whose names are mentioned briefly before and after many programs. They seem to feel that getting taxpayer *and* business support is somehow 'cheating'... that if public broadcasting already receives assistance from the commercial sector, why can't *all* its financial backing come from there. *sigh*
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Carol, the problem is that a large portion of the American TV viewing audience is made up of ignorant and ill-informed people... Yeah, I know that's a bit harsh. It's the damn truth.

My point being that this same group are likely to agree that NPR/PBS is a waste of tax dollars.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

I love the Charlie Rose show, too, though I don't catch it as often as I'd like.

The whole point of public broadcasting is that its freedom from having to cater to profit-motivated interests allows it to provide programs like his, with the opportunity for in-depth, commercial-free discussions on an incredibly wide-ranging array of topics.

Lately I have listened to some rants about NPR/PBS on conservative talk radio, and have been dismayed to discover that some of these hosts actually claim to have "once watched 'part' of a program on PBS", and then proceed to judge the network based on their minimal experience.

As much as I like Charlie Rose, I think Frontline is the best program on any network. . A q u a M a c .
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Frontline is GOOD.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Carol, the problem is that a large portion of the American TV viewing audience is made up of ignorant and ill-informed people... Yeah, I know that's a bit harsh. It's the damn truth.

My point being that this same group are likely to agree that NPR/PBS is a waste of tax dollars.

I agree with what you've said. It's so unfortunate.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

As much as I like Charlie Rose, I think Frontline is the best program on any network. . A q u a M a c .

Yes, Frontline is a great program.

But for in-depth 'personal' insights into an incredible variety of newsmakers, and for a bit more lighthearted enjoyment in general, I prefer what Charlie Rose has to offer.

Frontline truly is exceptional though, I agree completely.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Quote:

I hope i never die inside the way you have.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    nyc, it's ok. Go back to your Zelda game. Let the adults talk among each other...