Installing a WD 10k Raptor in REV B IMAC G5 20 inch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've heard of IMAC G5s having heat issues. I just ordered a REV B 20 incher and was planning on installing a wd 10K 74GB Raptor ... any ideas if this HD runs hotter than others? Should the IMAC take this ok?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Yes,

Raptors run significantly hotter than 7200 RPM drives are louder than 7200 RPM.

If you have the need for speed, go with the new 250GB or 400GB seagates. At 133GB per platter (vs. 80 GB for raptor) they make up for slower rotational speed with increased data density. They're cool and quiet.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    In my experience, the 74GB Raptors do not run any hotter than your average 7,200 rpm drive, and they certainly aren't any louder.

In saying that, I have only ever installed Raptors in PMG5s.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

In my experience, the 74GB Raptors do not run any hotter than your average 7,200 rpm drive, and they certainly aren't any louder.

In saying that, I have only ever installed Raptors in PMG5s.

Have you ever had a Raptor run without a fan blowing directly on it?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Interesting ... I've read a review where they claim the Raptor really is not that hotter than your typical 7200rpm drive ... might just take a chance on it .... should be an interesting experiment ... Applecare should take care of any "bad trips" ... hehehehe
  • Reply 5 of 7
    You could take a chance, but you won't see any speed difference over seagate.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Have you ever had a Raptor run without a fan blowing directly on it?

No because it's a SATA drive so I can't fit it in an external enclosure.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

No because it's a SATA drive so I can't fit it in an external enclosure.

Hehe... I thought so.

Without fan blowing fan directly on it, it gets well above 50 C in a relatively cool room. And that is BAD as far as HD life is concerned.