iMac + iBook vs. tiBook 667 ???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just had a thought. It seems to me one could buy a high end TiBook or a new LCD iMac and an iBook for similar dosh, and actually use then for some serious image/video work.

The one caveat is that neither the iBook nor the imac supports display spanning.

What if you could use your iBook as a second platelettes monitor??? I saw a nice iBook stand that can stand the keyboard on a serious tilt so the book is cool and has even less 'footprint.'

Here's my question. Could we use firewire to connect the two machines? Use the iMac as the main machine, and send video info over to the iBook (which has it's own video card) to draw an independent screen of platelettes, menus, control strips, and the like.

Would this be possible with photoshop and FCP ???

It'd be a great way of having dual displays, a G4, and a laptop, using all consumer machines. Is it possible? Do you need to have two licences of the app in use? Whaddaya think?

I'm thinking of getting an iBook soon and an iMac towards the end of the year. And would like to use them as described above.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    From the Apple store:

A combo 12" and an iMac CDrw = 2800

A combo 12" and an iMac Combo = 3000

A CDrom 12" and an iMac Superdrive = 3000

A DVD 12" and an iMac Superdrive = 3100

A TiBook 667 (with combo) = 3000 (faster)

I just put together those 4 combinations of iBook and iMac that were in the ball park of the price of one PowerBook. Advantages of PowerBook: it lets you take more power with you on the road and it comes with airport, but I think that every one of the four combinations above has at least these advantages: Approx double the HD space, 2 optical drives, a faster desktop machine, and a backup machine in case of problems.

The other thing is that for me at least, I wouldn't buy them at the same time, I'd buy the iBook first, and probably get the iMac after a few revisions, so the speed difference would be even greater. But even for people who need their complete set-up now, I think this might be worth considering for those who were thinking of a PowerBook.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I was about the buy a TiBook (667) myself, but now I have ordered an iMac instead.

I will still buy a TiBook this year, but I will wait for it to be upgraded to at least the speed of the new iMac. (hopefully it will get a G5)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by Power Apple:

<strong>I was about the buy a TiBook (667) myself, but now I have ordered an iMac instead.

I will still buy a TiBook this year, but I will wait for it to be upgraded to at least the speed of the new iMac. (hopefully it will get a G5)</strong><hr></blockquote>

LoL! Are you hoping for a G5 PowerBook? I predict we'll see them in the thrid quarter...

...of 2004.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Evil Ed:

<strong>

LoL! Are you hoping for a G5 PowerBook? I predict we'll see them in the thrid quarter...

...of 2004.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think we will see a low-power version of the G5 way before that.

Anyway, a nice 1 GHz G4 PowerBook would be good enough for me, for now...