Comments

• Reply 121 of 163
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hmmm.

i wonder.

nope. oh well, nevermind.
  • Reply 122 of 163
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Good times. Good times. It's enjoyable just to read all of your posts, though I can't remember many of the shenanigans that you all do. I also wasn't really ever part of any "in" crowd, per se, but have always enjoyed being here -- or coming back after various hiatii.
  • Reply 123 of 163
    Quote:

originally posted by crazychester

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I did some research into theblackhat during this thread's first incarnation. I think he's always been the same person and probably someone from the AI Dreamtime. BillGates maybe? I don't know. You tell me, Oh Bearers of Ancient Wisdom.

The last thread he posted in is worth a read. Start at the beginning and read to the end of his post. If that's not somebody having a laugh then I guess he really is just some dumb Texan.

Good Lord - I'd almost forgotten!

(Sigh). I suppose I should find this all very amusing if it weren't for the fact that dumb Texans have a hard time in general suffering fools gladly. Well, well - you're partly correct, o' wise one. I am BillGates, but you are missing one very vital point. Although I am logged in as "theblackhat", to me, that is just an access port available for logging in at this location because the log-in info is available to me. I choose not to re-register just to say "hi" to all and noticed years ago (after I left this campus for parts unknown), I tried to continue my affiliation with these boards but for some inexplicable reason my password would not work and when I tried to re-register, my alias "BillGates" was already taken by someone else who - for lack of a better word - somehow "misappropriated" it. So I said "screw it" and promptly turned my attention to much headier matters that awaited me.

To be sure, I was one of a small clique of lab rats back in the late nineties who stayed up all night tending to our school business but needing to amuse ourselves in the interim in the wee hours. We had quite a time jousting on these boards between ourselves and - delightfully - sometimes others would join in the merry fray. It was interesting to see the meretricious minded "doping-out" some sinister alter-ego scenario wherein I - I believe - was made to be what some catchpenny termed a "sock-puppet" - (in seeming psycho command of some tawdry little psyche/band of alter-ego/"8 faces of eve" personalities that I emanated and coordinated behind the scenes). You want to talk about a laugh - my lab associates and I found that a real hoot. We could just see some erstwhile "net-sleuth" employing the latest in internet trumpery, tracing all of the "sock-puppet" manifestations back to a single web-server, thinking it was a single individual's address.

I had forgotten all of this until I had a little leisure time on my hands and I re-visited my old haunt this week. I am delighted to see that our little department has grown so big, but was also a little saddened to see that the legacy of that great time we all had on the AO boards was not being continued. Indeed, not to criticize anyone here, but when I asked if there had been any attempts to continue our tradition, I found that several tentative attempts had been made - but the backlash of suspicion and frippery (that is normally expected from the wake of the great unwashed at AI) was just too much for them and they gave up, feeling disenfranchised and unwelcome (besides, I'm sure they were being kept much busier these days than we were in the last decade). (BTW - same question back to you shills that you originally posed to my young replacement in this thread- why didn't you just ask if the Black Hat was BilllGates rather than validate by dispersive presupposition. Although she is not here this summer, reading her posts, I can see she was very much interested in being a member here. Good work, guys. I guess more than anything this tells me what I sense in viewing these boards today. You've wisely uncovered another sock-puppet of mine and have thereby foilded my dastardly attempts at "having a laugh." You've managed to drive all the "sock-puppets" away.

So now, while reading over these forums, it is somewhat heartening to see that those we used to keep down by dissing and dismissing, have by virtue of grim determination and longevity, survived the old crowd and have now become the "status quo" of thought and reasonability. Bravely stoking the fires of the pernicious, you are obviouslyf far too crafty to be taken in by a mere "sock-puppeteer." Sadly, though, you are apparently not too crafty to be taken in by those who, "although lesser credentialled, are nevertheless bouyed by the fact that their girlfriends are Rhodes Scholars. Et tu, Rattae? I plainly remeber when you were a newbie, newly arrived and jockeying for position. In the words of Rex Stout, through his Wolfian manifestation, "Pfui".

(Double-sigh) I can't wait. It shan't be long until another comes along to read between my lines - parsing my every word - and eventually exposing me by laying me threadbare to a knowing world of intero-savants.

BTW - humor me although I'm sure you feel I already know; where are all of the other "old-timers?" (I'm not sure I like that phrase). Not having copious time to spend on these boards researching this, I intuit that there are some who speak of a split and mass exodus. So - to where did they depart? I feel like touching base with myself.
  • Reply 124 of 163
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by theblackhat

Good Lord - I'd almost forgotten!

(Sigh). I suppose I should find this all very amusing if it weren't for the fact that dumb Texans have a hard time in general suffering fools gladly. Well, well - you're partly correct, o' wise one. I am BillGates

(there simply aren't enough laughing smilies for this)

I've only read that much so far and now have to go to work dammit. But I'm looking forward to it when I get home.

I've been waiting for this Mr X ever since you popped up in GD. Better be careful with the dumb Texan thing. Hey! Maybe you're me trying to fool grover. Actually, now I think you're alcimedes. This seems like his flavour of stunt.

Anyway, looking forward to the read. Nice to see you or see you again or whatever, whoever you are.
  • Reply 125 of 163
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    This thread has been quiet for almost a year, now.
  • Reply 126 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

This thread has been quiet for almost a year, now.

Yeah, well unfortunately after the great split a couple of years ago a lot of the old-timers and classic members bailed and went over to nova. I could never get used to it there.
  • Reply 127 of 163
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I like both places!
  • Reply 128 of 163
    Wow. I just read this entire thread, including the cookie sheet thread that was interesting, and I am amazed at what this site used to be and what it has become. I have so many questions and a strong desire to become a larger part of this community. What was the split that happened a couple of years ago? That is what I would like to know first. Wow, I can't think of what else to say about this.
  • Reply 129 of 163
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

Wow. I just read this entire thread, including the cookie sheet thread that was interesting, and I am amazed at what this site used to be and what it has become. I have so many questions and a strong desire to become a larger part of this community. What was the split that happened a couple of years ago? That is what I would like to know first. Wow, I can't think of what else to say about this.

It's a long story and I'm not sure whether or not the topic is still verboten here. I know for some time after 'the split' you couldn't mention AN here without risking punishment. I think things have calmed down a bit in that department.

You can check the Viva la Revolucian forum over at AN for some background. But, history as they say is written by the victors. This is not saying AN was the victor (as both sites are still alive and their respective communities are still going strong) but the information written at AN probably doesn't include too much info. on Dr. Ander's Tension Relief Clinic which I believe is what really started the whole thing.

The real unfortunate events are people were lost which don't post at either remaining site anymore (like Amorph). This was the real disaster IMO caused by the site split.
  • Reply 130 of 163
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I can't speak for the Admins, but I feel the wounds have pretty much scabbed over by now. The history books have been written and published and now it is seen as just that; History. What happened may stir some personal experiences to some, but we are mature adults here. (Well, again anyways. )

The past is past. What happened, happened.

We learned, we grew, and we are thriving.

8)
  • Reply 131 of 163
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

It's a long story and I'm not sure whether or not the topic is still verboten here. I know for some time after 'the split' you couldn't mention AN here without risking punishment. I think things have calmed down a bit in that department.

You can check the Viva la Revolucian forum over at AN for some background. But, history as they say is written by the victors. This is not saying AN was the victor (as both sites are still alive and their respective communities are still going strong) but the information written at AN probably doesn't include too much info. on Dr. Ander's Tension Relief Clinic which I believe is what really started the whole thing.

The real unfortunate events are people were lost which don't post at either remaining site anymore (like Amorph). This was the real disaster IMO caused by the site split.

Thank you. I think I will wander over there when I have actually have some time, reading this really cut into my sleep last night. Haha. What is "Dr. Ander's Tension Relief Clinic"? That was one of my other questions.
  • Reply 132 of 163
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmm......

Well, let me just test the limits of tolerance by asking:

What do people who mostly post here think of our wayward family over at AN? (I know there are a lot of "dual-citizenship" folk, I'm thinking about people who have more or less made a choice to stick with AI).

I ask because it seems like one would be pretty much like the other (same DNA and all), and yet after a period of hanging out right over the "revolution" I never really felt hooked in.

My impression is that the circumstances of ANs birth fostered a sorta "clubbiness", or maybe the words "ownership", that doesn't feel very welcoming (like trying to butt into a high school clique), but for all I know that's how new folk experience AI and I'm just inured to it.

Any impressions?
  • Reply 133 of 163
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

Thank you. I think I will wander over there when I have actually have some time, reading this really cut into my sleep last night. Haha. What is "Dr. Ander's Tension Relief Clinic"? That was one of my other questions.

The doctor is out.

It was a "secret" forum where the, dare I use this word, leet of the board would hang out. Things took a turn for the worst and the AI Gods were informed and nuked the forum to oblivion along with several Admin accounts that couldn't escape. (Or maybe it is framed in one of the Admin forums. Who knows?)

Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

What do people who mostly post here think of our wayward family over at AN? (I know there are a lot of "dual-citizenship" folk, I'm thinking about people who have more or less made a choice to stick with AI).

My impression is that the circumstances of ANs birth fostered a sorta "clubbiness", or maybe the words "ownership", that doesn't feel very welcoming (like trying to butt into a high school clique), but for all I know that's how new folk experience AI and I'm just inured to it.

It is really hard to compare the two. Both sites have the same interests and goals. There may be a little rivalry going on, but it has lost most of its bite.

As for your impressions, you are correct. <A very knowledgeable and helpful admin> left and lots of people followed. It was a great loss for AI and no honest admin or member here can deny that. There were people to fill his shoes and soon the new administration firmly took hold of the reigns. As tou guessed, AN is a tight knit bunch but they do appreciate new blood... I mean new intelligent, charismatic, members. (Especially women ) (Like all Apple forums I guess) I feel connected to both AI and AN. In a way it is no different than talking to two different people who share a common love for apple. Just remember, respect their individuality, the Admins are always right, and may God help you if you get the forums mixed up.

That's like throwing a plastic banana into a pen of starving monkeys. Digital feces and all.
  • Reply 134 of 163
    Quote:

Hmmm......

Well, let me just test the limits of tolerance by asking:

I ask because it seems like one would be pretty much like the other (same DNA and all), and yet after a period of hanging out right over the "revolution" I never really felt hooked in.

Any impressions?

I'm not sure if I can form an opinion on this yet. I haven't read enough on AN to know much about it, but it does seem to have a more tight nit crowd there. AI seems to have a general crowd with certain groups of people. I think I might consider having "dual-citizenship" so I can better understand all that has happened and have multiple sources for purchasing information and such. By the way, I answered my own question, I found the thread on the Tension Relief Clinic in La Revolucion. Now for another question, what has happend to theblackhat? I didn't notice until a few minutes ago that he hasn't posted for over a year. I was dumb and didn't look at the year, I thought he had posted just the other day until i realized it isn't quite the 26th of June yet. Well I'm off to read more about La Revolucion.
  • Reply 135 of 163
    Quote:

What do people who mostly post here think of our wayward family over at AN?

I can't ever forget the circumstances that led to the split -- especially my part in the whole debacle. I had no huge part in causing the split, but I was definitely one of the straws that broke the camel's back. Each straw is equally responsible, not just the last one.

I was deeply engrained in AI before the split, was very active in the Tension Relief Clinic immediately prior to the split, and had a very tough time picking "sides" immediately following the split. In fact I felt so confused and ashamed about what had happened that I took a haitus from both forums to focus on other priorities and let things subside for a while. (A successful search at either site will uncover the identical threads I started announcing my departure.) When I returned, I chose AI because I felt a need to return to my "roots," of sorts.

I feel no resentment or angst for those over at AN. Now I see them as those not-so-distant relatives that you fall out of touch with and don't see or talk to but once every several years. Not too long ago AI was off-line for a couple of days so I ventured over there. Things seem to be going pretty well but I just couldn't stay. As members of the Mac community I wish them the best. If AN were to close its doors I would welcome them back with open arms. If AI were to close it's doors I hope they would invite me with open arms, because that's where I'd go.

So there's my version of it. Life goes on.
  • Reply 136 of 163
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

..As for your impressions, you are correct. <A very knowledgeable and helpful admin> left and lots of people followed. It was a great loss for AI and no honest admin or member here can deny that. There were people to fill his shoes and soon the new administration firmly took hold of the reigns. As tou guessed, AN is a tight knit bunch but they do appreciate new blood... I mean new intelligent, charismatic, members. (Especially women ) (Like all Apple forums I guess) I feel connected to both AI and AN. In a way it is no different than talking to two different people who share a common love for apple. Just remember, respect their individuality, the Admins are always right, and may God help you if you get the forums mixed up.

That's like throwing a plastic banana into a pen of starving monkeys. Digital feces and all. [/B]

Yeah. The main difference to me is AI feels real egalitarian, with the mods doing their thing and Kaspar off in Kaspar land and a bunch of people wandering around and chewing the fat, whereas AN still has the feel of a forum started by a small group of people with very intense feelings about "their" forum.

Personally, I would like AI to get back some of that community feel (people who seem to know each other pretty well knocking it around and lots of running jokes and that sort of thing) and I wish AN was a little less inbred and conflict adverse.

You know, like things were before all the drama.
  • Reply 137 of 163
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    And of course, AN has no ads. None. Especially no blinking or talking or generally obnoxious ads.

Ads and the overlords' view of them was a major factor in the split, as I recall. One site lives for the forum users, the other lives for the ads.

Plus, AN has no political subforum. We try to leave the flamewars to others. And our search works
  • Reply 138 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

And of course, AN has no ads. None. Especially no blinking or talking or generally obnoxious ads.

Ads and the overlords' view of them was a major factor in the split, as I recall. One site lives for the forum users, the other lives for the ads.

Plus, AN has no political subforum. We try to leave the flamewars to others. And our search works

Do you prefer AN over AI? I've seen a few of your posts over there and I was just wondering.
  • Reply 139 of 163
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Both communities have value, but I visit for member comments not the front page, and ads annoy me.

Each site includes interesting people and information at times, though I often find AN better to read.
  • Reply 140 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Both communities have value, but I visit for member comments not the front page, and ads annoy me.

Each site includes interesting people and information at times, though I often find AN better to read.

Thanks for your response. I've liked AN just as much as AI so far. I still have some questions though. Were some of the switchers coming here and trying to convince people to join and harrassing people? I was reading a thread about "who got left behind" in La Revolucion, and I got the feeling that some people were. I also don't understand something I've read there. The "Hay guys!", "RRY" and "Ya RLLY" joke. " target="_blank">Hay Guys

The thread that I read is there. I wandered over there courtesy of the "Time to make things fun" thread in AppleOutsider.