Which new iMac model is best value?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm leaning towards the mid or low range one, only because I don't really plan on making movies or burning DVD's.

A combo drive will do.

The problem with the low end one is that it doesn't come with speakers.

But other than that, can anyone give me a reason to get the why the low end is a better buy than the mid range one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    iMac CD-R ($1299)

Pro:

- Burns CDs at 24x :eek: ($1499 Combo Drive model burns at 12x)

- Has same processor, hard drive, video card, etc. as $1499 model

- Totally affordable...GREAT price for all that, especially considering it's faster than the original G4 Cube AND has a 15" LCD!

Con:

- Only 128MB RAM (may or may not be an issue for you, I don't know...would for me)

- No speakers (pay an extra $59)

:confused:

Personally, I AM getting the SuperDrive model.

However, if I wasn't and it came down between the low and mid-range model, I'd go for the mid-range combo drive.

To me, I always wanted a combo drive (you never know...watching movies or videos might be cool on that screen!). And to get twice the RAM, the cool speakers AND a combo drive for only $200 more dollars is something that appeals to me.

Good luck.

IMO, you can't go wrong with ANY of the new iMac models. They all rock.

I do, however, wish they would allow you to BTO them a bit at the online Apple Store (larger hard drive, mainly, but also be able to buy a 800MHz model, BUT downgrade to a combo drive or CD-R...get the highest speed/power, BUT not have to pay for a drive that you may never use.

If I could do that, it's what I would get, actually: 800MHz with combo drive. And I'm sure if I waited until this summer or fall, I could do just that.

Screw it...I've waited long enough!

• Reply 2 of 11
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Screw it...I've waited long enough!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey thanks pscates,

I know what you mean. I've been waiting for the right one to come along and I believe it's finally here.

Good points about the drive speed. Kinda makes me wonder if I'll watch enough movies to give up that speed difference in drives.

As far as RAM, I'm assuming the low end one has just one 128K RAM chip and not two 64's?

If so, then bumping up to 256 or 320 won't be a problem.

Speakers are cool.

Decisions, decisions...which would be made much easier as you say, with more BTO options!

I guess Apple just wants to get orders filled first before worrying any customized orders.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    Before you buy the low-end model, look ahead to when new software mostly comes on DVDs and order the combo model. I have a dual 800 with the combo drive because I don't plan to make movies anytime soon either.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote] Before you buy the low-end model, look ahead to when new software mostly comes on DVDs and order the combo model. <hr></blockquote>

How soon do you think that will happen? I can't see that being widespread for another 2 years?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by gfeier:

<strong>Before you buy the low-end model, look ahead to when new software mostly comes on DVDs and order the combo model. I have a dual 800 with the combo drive because I don't plan to make movies anytime soon either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They've been saying that's gonna happen Real Soon Now? for 2 or 3 years. At this point, Apple still sells several machines without DVD capability, and until they do, there will be little to no chance of that. Even then, it may take a few years. The only kind of software which has thus far shipped on DVD, is one of those "10,000,000,000 free clip art images!!!" sets. 8 DVDs instead of 26 CDs.

*shrug*

I'm looking at the Combo anyway. I just wish the top model could be outfitted with a combo drive, so I wouldn't be stuck with the slow (8x) speed optical drive on a Supercomputer But I digress.

The $1799 model gives you a lot of value, but it's relatively expensive, and that value only comes into play should you actually have a "burning desire" for making DVDs or something. Myself, I'll probably never burn a DVD, unless I win the lottery and buy a really good Sony DV cam.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, how long have we been talking about this "software on DVD...COMING SOON!" bullcrap?

Enough already.

I HIGHLY doubt the next couple of versions of ANYONE'S stuff is going to NOT come out on CD-ROM.

Buy a combo drive model and use the DVD for MOVIE WATCHING, if you're so inclined. But don't do it for some "gonna happen soon, I can feel it..." thing like software coming on DVD.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    I would say that the lowend one is the best tottal value.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    So, does anyone know if the Superdrive can be used to watch DVDs as well as burn them?

I don't have any, but I might want to get some

And on the subject of value: how does the new iMac stack up for speed / responsiveness? I'm thinking that w/ the 100mHz bus & all, the 800mHz iMac might perform about on the level of the 733 PM.

Anyone care to hazard a guess?

We don't have an Apple Store anywhere around here, so I can't really explore this directly....
  • Reply 9 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by shaman:

<strong>So, does anyone know if the Superdrive can be used to watch DVDs as well as burn them?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, of course.

Watch and burn DVDs, read and burn CDs.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I think they are all equally good value, depending on your needs.

The superDrive version cost 300$ more than the Combo, but it gives you 100 MHz (14,3%) extra speed, 20 GB (50%) extra harddrive and, of course, the superdrive (which on the PowerMacs are a 250$ upgrade).

Each machine represents excellent value in my opinion!

Of course, if you have no desire, whatsoever, to burn and/or watch DVD's, then go with the 1299$ iMac and max out memory and buy the pro speakers separatly (if you want them).

I'm not into video-editing myself (don't have a digital video camera, yet), but I still like the idea of being able to burn DVD's. I'm sure I will find good use for it at some point. And the extra 14% speed seems nice too (especially since the processor is probably not upgradable)

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Power Apple ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by shaman:

<strong>And on the subject of value: how does the new iMac stack up for speed / responsiveness? I'm thinking that w/ the 100mHz bus & all, the 800mHz iMac might perform about on the level of the 733 PM.

Anyone care to hazard a guess?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess that is pretty accurate. The overall speed of the 800/100 MHz iMac will probably be on par with the 733/133 Power Mac.