100 top movie quotes

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
did anyone watch this? what do you think?

The American Film Institute released Tuesday its top 100 movie quotes list.

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," "The Godfather," 1972.

3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am," "On the Waterfront," 1954.

4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

5. "Here's looking at you, kid," "Casablanca," 1942.

6. "Go ahead, make my day," "Sudden Impact," 1983.

7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.

8. "May the Force be with you," "Star Wars," 1977.

9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night," "All About Eve," 1950.

10. "You talking to me?" "Taxi Driver," 1976.

11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate," "Cool Hand Luke," 1967.

12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," "Apocalypse Now," 1979.

13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry," "Love Story," 1970.

14. "The stuff that dreams are made of," "The Maltese Falcon," 1941.

15. "E.T. phone home," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," 1982.

16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!", "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

17. "Rosebud," "Citizen Kane," 1941.

18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!", "White Heat," 1949.

19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!", "Network," 1976.

20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," "Casablanca," 1942.

21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti," "The Silence of the Lambs," 1991.

22. "Bond. James Bond," "Dr. No," 1962.

23. "There's no place like home," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.

25. "Show me the money!", "Jerry Maguire," 1996.

26. "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?", "She Done Him Wrong," 1933.

27. "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!", "Midnight Cowboy," 1969.

28. "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By,"' "Casablanca," 1942.

29. "You can't handle the truth!", "A Few Good Men," 1992.

30. "I want to be alone," "Grand Hotel," 1932.

31. "After all, tomorrow is another day!", "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

32. "Round up the usual suspects," "Casablanca," 1942.

33. "I'll have what she's having," "When Harry Met Sally...," 1989.

34. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow," "To Have and Have Not," 1944.

35. "You're gonna need a bigger boat," "Jaws," 1975.

36. "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," 1948.

37. "I'll be back," "The Terminator," 1984.

38. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth," "The Pride of the Yankees," 1942.

39. "If you build it, he will come," "Field of Dreams," 1989.

40. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get," "Forrest Gump," 1994.

41. "We rob banks," "Bonnie and Clyde," 1967.

42. "Plastics," "The Graduate," 1967.

43. "We'll always have Paris," "Casablanca," 1942.

44. "I see dead people," "The Sixth Sense," 1999.

45. "Stella! Hey, Stella!", "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.

46. "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars," "Now, Voyager," 1942.

47. "Shane. Shane. Come back!", "Shane," 1953.

48. "Well, nobody's perfect," "Some Like It Hot," 1959.

49. "It's alive! It's alive!", "Frankenstein," 1931.

50. "Houston, we have a problem," "Apollo 13," 1995.

51. "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?", "Dirty Harry," 1971.

52. "You had me at `hello,"' "Jerry Maguire," 1996.

53. "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know," "Animal Crackers," 1930.

54. "There's no crying in baseball!", "A League of Their Own," 1992.

55. "La-dee-da, la-dee-da," "Annie Hall," 1977.

56. "A boy's best friend is his mother," "Psycho," 1960.

57. "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," "Wall Street," 1987.

58. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer," "The Godfather Part II," 1974.

59. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

60. "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!", "Sons of the Desert," 1933.

61. "Say `hello' to my little friend!", "Scarface," 1983.

62. "What a dump," "Beyond the Forest," 1949.

63. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?", "The Graduate," 1967.

64. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!", "Dr. Strangelove," 1964.

65. "Elementary, my dear Watson," "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," 1929.

66. "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape," "Planet of the Apes," 1968.

67. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine," "Casablanca," 1942.

68. "Here's Johnny!", "The Shining," 1980.

69. "They're here!", "Poltergeist," 1982.

70. "Is it safe?", "Marathon Man," 1976.

71. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!", "The Jazz

Singer," 1927.

72. "No wire hangers, ever!", "Mommie Dearest," 1981.

73. "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?", "Little Caesar," 1930.

74. "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown," "Chinatown," 1974.

75. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," "A Streetcar

Named Desire," 1951.

76. "Hasta la vista, baby," "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," 1991.

77. "Soylent Green is people!", "Soylent Green," 1973.

78. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL," "2001: A Space Odyssey," 1968.

79. Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious ... and don't

call me Shirley," "Airplane!", 1980.

80. "Yo, Adrian!", "Rocky," 1976.

81. "Hello, gorgeous," "Funny Girl," 1968.

82. "Toga! Toga!", "National Lampoon's Animal House," 1978.

83. "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make," "Dracula," 1931.

84. "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast," "King Kong," 1933.

85. "My precious," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," 2002.

86. "Attica! Attica!", "Dog Day Afternoon," 1975.

87. "Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!", "42nd Street," 1933.

88. "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!", "On Golden Pond,"

89. "Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper," "Knute Rockne, All American," 1940.

90. "A martini. Shaken, not stirred," "Goldfinger," 1964.

91. "Who's on first," "The Naughty Nineties," 1945.

92. "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!", "Caddyshack," 1980.

93. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!", "Auntie Mame," 1958.

94. "I feel the need - the need for speed!", "Top Gun," 1986.

95. "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary," "Dead Poets Society," 1989.

96. "Snap out of it!", "Moonstruck," 1987.

97. "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," 1942.

98. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," "Dirty Dancing," 1987.

99. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!", "The Wizard of Oz,"

100. "I'm king of the world!", "Titanic," 1997.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Fluids - Strangelove

Gentlemans, you can't fight here : this is the war room
  • Reply 2 of 25
    /mandolux//mandolux/ Posts: 648member
    Say `hello' to my little friend!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    A ******* in a uniform. That's like tits on bull. Glory
  • Reply 4 of 25
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    These should all attempt to be lines that have somehow made it into pop culture. Some of them are just one word, and can't possibly assert any referential humor when used outside of direct context.

On another note, I'm upset there's no Lebowski. I love that movie, and it's ripe with one liners. It's probably because the people in the AFI are the same ones who never give an action or comedy movie four stars.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Donnie, you're out of your element! Big Lebowski

I know you don't smoke weed. I know this, but I'm gonna get you high today 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do! Friday.

I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast. Happy Gilmore.

Don't call me stupid. Fish Called Wanda.

Yes, she knows it's a multipass. Anyway, we're in love. Fifth Element.

HOW CAN THERE BE NO PYTHON!!!!!!

There are some who call me ? Tim. Holy Grail. Ahhhh.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 25
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

These should all attempt to be lines that have somehow made it into pop culture. Some of them are just one word, and can't possibly assert any referential humor when used outside of direct context.

On another note, I'm upset there's no Lebowski. I love that movie, and it's ripe with one liners. It's probably because the people in the AFI are the same ones who never give an action or comedy movie four stars.

Posted the above before seeing your post, Spline. Thing is, the big L must be understood, and most of our culture is unwilling to go there. People think that big L followers like to be fringe. It's true and it's not true.I think we'd be happy to incorporate leb-speak into every conversation, as opposed to the wink*wink secret handshake it represents now. Goes hand-in-hand with why weed isn't "mainstream". Don't get weed? Then you don't get the Dude. Fuckin-A.

Top Lists are as middle of the road as you get (although some of the titles included give a man hope). But you won't see Donnie Darko, Man Bites Dog, Sex and Lucia, Twilight, Se7en or a million other brilliant movies because for them to have been seen by everyone, they need to be Middle o' the Road. They either have to go to where society's at or society has to go where it's at.

--B
  • Reply 7 of 25
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

FRENCH GUARD:

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Monthy Python and The Holy Grail
  • Reply 8 of 25
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Not a terrible list, but no quotes from the greatest movie of all time? Two from Spicoli, "Dude, I'm so wasted!" and "You dick!"

Also there really should be some John Water's quotes and something from Office Space.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Not a terrible list, but no quotes from the greatest movie of all time? Two from Spicoli, "Dude, I'm so wasted!" and "You dick!"

Also there really should be some John Water's quotes and something from Office Space.

I'm shocked not a single quote from Arthur! I could do a top 100 from that movie alone!

"You're a hooker? Jesus, I forgot! I just thought I was doing GREAT with you! "

"Through the park Bitterman, you know how I love the park."

"You must have hated this moose"

"It's so small, Rhode Island could kick the crap out of it in a war. They recently had the whole country carpeted. It's 85 cents in a taxi from one side to the other. We are talking small."

"Do you have any objection to naming a child Vladimir, even if its a girl?"

"Arthur, a real woman could stop you from drinking... It'd have to be a real big woman."

"Isn't this fun? Isn't fun the best thing to have? Don't you wish you were me? I know I do."

"I'll alert the media."

"If I begin to die, please take this off my head. This is not the way I wish to be remembered."

"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, but, I have weekends off, and I am my own boss."

"Arthur, I see no reason for prolonging this conversation, unless you plan on knocking over a fruit-stand later this afternoon. Good luck in prison"

"Not all of us who drink are poets. Some of us drink because we're not poets."

"You spoiled little bastard! You're a man who has everything, haven't you, but that's not enough. You feel unloved, Arthur, welcome to the world. Everyone is unloved. Now stop feeling sorry for yourself. And incidentally, I love you."

Still shocked!

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 25
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    "Oh yeah" "harder" "**** me" "harder" "oh baby" "yeeeeesss" - cant recall title.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    "What on earth is a snozzberry?" -- Wonka 1

"Hey you guys!" -- Goonies
  • Reply 12 of 25
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    tonton, you rock man, having 2 Evil Dead quotes in there.

My favourite (this is from memory) from those is the day after Ash sleeps with the princess, and she's saying "but you said you loved me!!", to which he replies "where I come from that's just called pillow talk, baby".

• Reply 13 of 25
    Elwood - "... we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Dan Akroyd in The Blues Brothers, 1980
  • Reply 14 of 25
    ..."Aim for the hood ornament."

-Jeff Brifges in Rancho Deluxe, 1975

• Reply 15 of 25
    ?So, Lonestarr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.?

Dark Helmet in Spaceballs, 1987.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    "nananananananana... dododododododo... sheenenenenenene..."

- Chevy Chase, Caddyshack

"I wish I was a loofa"

- John Larroquette, Stripes

"No more yankee my wankee... the Donger need food!"

- Dong, Sixteen Candles

"No ticket!"

- Harrison Ford, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Reply 17 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Another classic:

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die."

D
  • Reply 18 of 25
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

or atleast the end: You will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you

it was a pretty interesting show to watch. i heard that "i'm ready for my closeup mr demille" quote a million trillion times. i didn't know it was from a movie. i thought it was a real quote, from some vain boob in the 50s or something. and "you ain't seen nothing yet." was nice to see some explanation and context.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    "Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?" - Agent Sands (Johnny Depp) in Once upon a time in Mexico
  • Reply 20 of 25
    itsamacitsamac Posts: 20member
    Ones that come to my mind are:

"He's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy" Life of Brian

"How do you like dem apples?" Good Will Hunting

"When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me" Numerous films

"That's not a knife, this is" Crocodile Dundee