Help me choose a color to paint my new iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's not here, and won't be for some time, and it will totally void the warranty, but I am probably going to paint my iMac.

THe short version: pull it apart, use rubbing alcohol to remove the white, and paint the inside of the dome another color.

There are so many colors to choose from:

I like the watery look and shade of the color of the background of this pic, but I think the watery thing might be beyond my skills. (How would I get the watery look, anyway?) But a medium-light rich blue is an option. Sort of more intense version of Apple's Aqua color.

The Buc's blood orange-red is a nice color, too.

The best iMac color EVER, sage.

That's what I'm currently thinking. Any other (specific) colors/shades you'd like to mention? Or do you like any of these?

SdC

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I could be wrong but I don´t think its iceBook white but rather normal plastic white and unfortunetly you can´t remove the colour from that.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Nooooo!! don't paint it. It's so cool looking the way it is.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 28
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Orange. I dare you.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    chrome it...chrome it ALL....lol
  • Reply 5 of 28

• Reply 6 of 28
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    I'd go with some cool ornage or green/yellow color, something like the nova yellow of the <a href="http://www.alienware.com"; target="_blank">alienware PCs</a>. It would help you convience people that it's a pro workstation as long as it's no pattern single color. And don't forget to write G5 on it!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Chrome! If you can get the thin apart, you could do a very nice job on it using gold leaf type foil.

When you get the plastic off the machine you need to prep it so that the stuff will stick -- you can buy a sticky primer for this --, and you need to put a couple of layers of a hard clear coat over it when you're done. But the advantage over paint is that you'll be able to burnish to a convincing metallic sheen that won't look like paint at all. There are some very nice deep smokey chrome/nickle plate hues that would really create the ultimate iLamp.

Visit a good model/crafting store; (they will know how to prep and finish the plastic).

I'd say do the back plate of the LCD (as long as you're voiding warantees, why not?) However, with the very pretty crystal keyboard and mouse, the crystal white LCD bezel may look just right as is.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Why not paint your desk or area where you place your computer. Then you can change the look once in a while if you get tired of it. Once you paint the iMac, that will be probably be it, I'm afraid.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I agree with pscates. Orange.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    b l a c k BLACK
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Well if you MUST paint it then yeah like pscates said, do it orange.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Chrome and sage are neat, but I'm dying to see this thing in brass with wrought iron trimmings! Okay, that may be a bit weird but what the hell.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    What shade of orange, kids?

SdC
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Tangerine.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Like the old iBooks?

Like Kini's Nikini's tangerine crush?

Like the new Denver Broncos?

Like Clemson?

Another?

SdC
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Like the old iBooks/iMacs.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Just make sure you wait until someone else has taken the thing apart and posted pictures online -- I'm sure that one of the Japanese sites will be doing this as soon as they become generally available. You need to know what's going on inside in order to really plan a good mod -- you don't want to end up just splattering some paint on and ending up with something you can't stand the sight of, or worse -- breaking it completely.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    er, orange and white...the new apple creamcicle?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Howzabouda comprimise between orange and chrome? Copper! Same leaf and burnish process I described for the chrome. It'd look great in the kitchen!
  • Reply 20 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>Just make sure you wait until someone else has taken the thing apart and posted pictures online -- I'm sure that one of the Japanese sites will be doing this as soon as they become generally available. You need to know what's going on inside in order to really plan a good mod -- you don't want to end up just splattering some paint on and ending up with something you can't stand the sight of, or worse -- breaking it completely.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, I have the official take-apart/upgrade manual from Apple for the new iMac that repair techs get. I am not afraid.

SdC