CD -> iPod?

jbljbl
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Why can't you RIP CD's directly to an iPod without putting them on your hard disk first? (Or is there some way to do this?)

Our library has a decent CD collection and I like to grab a few things I have never heard of every time I go by. In general, I don't want this stuff clogging my hard disk (not to mention the copy right issues). What I would like to do is import CDs directly to my iPod shuffle. However, iTunes doesn't seem to let you.

As a side note, you seem to be able to leave feedback at Apple's web site for any program except iTunes. Clicking on iTunes feedback gets you to a page where you can request particular music be added to the iTMS but doesn't give you options like "bug report" or "feature request."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    if you click on the itunes menu when you have it open, one of the options should be provide feedback for itunes.

stu
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

if you click on the itunes menu when you have it open, one of the options should be provide feedback for itunes.

It is. However, if you select that item it gets you to a page that says at the top "Request Music", and your choices for "Request Type" are "Request Song", "Request Artist", nothing like "Request functionality" like there is on the feedback pages for all the other applications.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    This would be a neat feature. Maybe iTunes 5??
  • Reply 4 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    You could just set it to be used as a removable disk then transfer them to music later when you get to your playlists. They'll never change this though for piracy reasons I expect.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

They'll never change this though for piracy reasons I expect.

That is what I think is really strange... They are forcing me to pirate music when I don't want to. It is completely legitimate to copy music you have borrowed from the library onto your iPod (especially a shuffle) so you can listen to it while you are walking around. You can't (easily) move music from an iPod to another computer or another iPod so it is relatively hard to share. Instead I have to copy the music onto my computer before I can put it on my iPod. Realistically, I am not going to get around to erasing it. Plus, from my computer I can turn on file sharing, email music to people, burn it to CDs etc. etc.