New Nvidia 7800GTX is a firecracker

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7800.html

Anandtech Review

This sucker can beat a 6800U SLI system. Wow

I personally cannot justify spending $600 for a GPU but in a couple of years this performance will be the lowend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7800.html

Anandtech Review

I personally cannot justify spending $600 for a GPU but in a couple of years this performance will be the lowend.

i thought this was going to be a thread about how one blew up inside a machine.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

And a 7800 SLI rig can do full HDR at playable frame rates.

Nice.

$1200, but still ... nice.

Sadly, the closest I will get to this GPU is via a PS3 next year. \
  • Reply 3 of 7
    no AGP version announced right?

so macs can ignore it until next summer probably when intel macs come out with pci-e board.

and what games really need 80fps at 1900by1200+ resolution. The speed is fine because its currently pixel fill rate limited, but I don't see a hell of lot more detail really at those resolutions with current games. I mean I've played doom3 at the res. and its not all that impressive, IMO. Textures look poor up close and there is still no peripheral vision.

sli is not cheap. The GPUs then account for the majority of the hardware expense of a tower. Weren't dual GPU cards coming?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    There has been a limited edition GeForce 6600 GT card with two GPUs, but I forget who made it.

Benchmarks of the 7800 aren't as fantastic as some would have you to believe. The card is only on average only 13% faster in games (running at 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 8xA) than the ATi Radeon 850XT PE, according to a

review at extremetech.com

Seems as though this card should be called the GeForce 6950, if anything.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    yea, i think a much more interesting card is going to be ATI's R520.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

There has been a limited edition GeForce 6600 GT card with two GPUs, but I forget who made it.

Benchmarks of the 7800 aren't as fantastic as some would have you to believe. The card is only on average only 13% faster in games (running at 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 8xA) than the ATi Radeon 850XT PE, according to a

review at extremetech.com

Seems as though this card should be called the GeForce 6950, if anything.

Gigabyte made the dual core 6600gt.

SLI Cards aren't the majority of systems any more. The cpu is again. With dual core cpu's starting out at $750. You can get dual SLI 6600gt cards for about $300 if you play your cards right.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    One problem with the new 7800 is that although it has 24 pixel pipelines they don't help performance as much because they can't all be used at the same time to help increase the fill rate, limiting the performance increase. This is according to my understanding of the architecture of the card.

This also explains why the performance is not that much greater than a 6800 ultra or X850 XT PE which both have 16 pixel pipelines. The amount of pixel pipelines in the latest generation cards was one of the big factors that boosted performance over the cards made before the current offerings (which had 8 pixel pipelines maximum).