Apple plans special event next month, new iPods likely

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer is distributing media alerts and invitations to a special event that will take place on or before Thursday, July 7th, but the company is not yet offering details.

Apple news site MacBidouille is one of several French publications that claims to have received a media alert pertaining to the event. It's noted that a similar message was presented to the publication just prior the Oct., 2004 Apple music event that saw the launch of the iPod photo.

According to the web report, Apple is asking the media to prepare for new product announcements on or before the first Thursday in July.

Industry sources believe the event may very likely coincide with the planned high-profile launch of iTunes 4.9 with Podcasting support. Sources had previously stated that the software was due for launch by the first week of July.

Sources tell AppleInsider that the event could also play host to new iPod offerings, which may include second-generation iPod shuffles and possibly fifth-generation iPods.

It has not been stated where the event will take place, but last year Apple utilized San Jose's California Theater to introduce the iPod photo in a similar media event.

If you have any further details on the event, please give us a shout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And to think I was >< this close to buy myself an iPod Mini yesterday
  • Reply 2 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

And to think I was >< this close to buy myself an iPod Mini yesterday

Lol. I dont think we'll see new Mini's on the 7th, but more likely New Shuffles, or a different kind of shuffle with a screen, and 5G iPod.

Quick everyone! Go return the iPods that you just bought so that you can go get the new version without haveing to pay a restocking fee.
  • Reply 3 of 85
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

Lol. I dont think we'll see new Mini's on the 7th, but more likely New Shuffles, or a different kind of shuffle with a screen, and 5G iPod.

Quick everyone! Go return the iPods that you just bought so that you can go get the new version without haveing to pay a restocking fee.

Beyond more storage size what do you think may be imporved in the iPod line up????
  • Reply 4 of 85
    My birthday is July 10th and so I say to Apple:

Bring on 5G iPods! I will order it the day it's announced.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    isn't MacBidouille notorious for failing miserably at making these sorts of predictions?
  • Reply 6 of 85
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

My birthday is July 10th and so I say to Apple:

Bring on 5G iPods! I will order it the day it's announced.

I´ll be 30 years old on the 13rd. Hi Steve. Please sent me an iPod for my lifelong positive contribution to the platf.... Ahem,for being an allround good guy
  • Reply 7 of 85
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    I think new iBooks are coming Tuesday, at least that's the word on the street (from low-level call-center employees).
  • Reply 8 of 85
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

isn't MacBidouille notorious for failing miserably at making these sorts of predictions?

No, they used to be so good at rumours that they decided to stop to not jeopardize their relationship with apple... Unlike some others...
  • Reply 9 of 85
    The only buzz lately about iPods has been over newer flash players (maybe with a screen).

I definitely think 5g iPods are close and July 7 sounds right but isn't it strange that we haven't heard anything AT ALL? Could the leaks have been sealed up so well? Man, maybe I underestimated the power of litigation.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    ok maybe its just me but they've got the 4gb mini and the 6gb mini...for what reason would they release a 5gb mini??? seems stupid to me...i think they should just faze out the 4gb model stick with the 6 and wait till they release an 8gb model or maybe im speaking too soon but a 10 gb mini.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    kddpopkddpop Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shady104

.for what reason would they release a 5gb mini???

that was a refernce to 5th Generation iPod.

hope that clears it up for you.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    yaaa it does....thnx
  • Reply 13 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I´ll be 30 years old on the 13rd. Hi Steve. Please sent me an iPod for my lifelong positive contribution to the platf.... Ahem,for being an allround good guy

Hell, for all sites like AppleInsider do for Apple, they should supply you with free everything!

Just for being allround good guys.
  • Reply 14 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Beyond more storage size what do you think may be imporved in the iPod line up????

Lets see:

1.)longer battery life, 4g is at 12 and the Mini is a 18!

2.) Built-in FM Tuner so you can listen to radio and radio recording capablities.

3.) New Design even though the 4g is already way cool

4.) Crossfade ability, like iTunes has. (no song gaps)

5.) Home button so that you don't have to press Menu 50 million times

6.) Song Search capabilities (Spotlight for iPod)

7.) New headphones, better quality

8.) thinner

9.)Built-in microphone for voice notes.

10.) Comlete turn off instead of sleep for battery life saving.

11.) Bigger Display

These are a few of the things that I would like in my iPod and I know that there lots more people out there that want the same things.
  • Reply 15 of 85
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

1.)longer battery life, 4g is at 12 and the Mini is a 18!

2.) Built-in FM Tuner so you can listen to radio and radio recording capablities.

3.) New Design even though the 4g is already way cool

4.) Crossfade ability, like iTunes has. (no song gaps)

5.) Home button so that you don't have to press Menu 50 million times

6.) Song Search capabilities (Spotlight for iPod)

7.) New headphones, better quality

8.) thinner

9.)Built-in microphone for voice notes.

10.) Comlete turn off instead of sleep for battery life saving.

11.) Bigger Display

12.) Blue Lasers

13.) Ogg support to court the *nix/techno geek

14.) Bluetooth. Not for syncing songs, but instead to dial your cell, sync contacts, and use wireless headphones, car kits, and remotes.

15.) Gratuitous request for video features, although I wouldn't use 'em and think the screen size and HD size makes this mostly pointless, for now at least.

16.) Tre-chic advanced battery technology. Don't make it last 300 plugins, try 1000. While I avoid it, a once a day plugin should be considered standard and the battery should be expected to be a bit more robust and last longer.

Bluetooth and better battery tech would be my top favorites. The mini form factor is fab and miniaturization will just make it more powerful.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

I think new iBooks are coming Tuesday, at least that's the word on the street (from low-level call-center employees).

well, one can hope. i'm far far far away from cupertino but my cousin-in-law is going to SemiCon at Moscone in San Francisco in a few weeks.

not holding my breath, but i do expect an ace or two up steve's sleeve to be shown next week. .. i may be dissapointed, but i'll live

my cousin-in-law will be there july 10-17 or so, so a new ibook announcement next week will be just nice \
  • Reply 17 of 85
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

No, they used to be so good at rumours that they decided to stop to not jeopardize their relationship with apple... Unlike some others...

yeah. isn't it macbidoulle aka hardMac that was first to break the [Life Is Random] iPod Shuffle with no screen ? they had some dudes sneak into moscone and convince the work crew putting up banners to let them take some pics and look at stuff.
  • Reply 18 of 85
    Has anyone considered that maybe this might be the launch of the iTunes cell phone, or has motorola given up on that?
  • Reply 19 of 85
    patrik_lpatrik_l Posts: 55member
    Le figaro, one of the most well respected papers in France, says that the iPhone, a white e398, will be launched 4th of July.

http://hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?...005-06-25#4214

http://www.lefigaro.fr/eco-medias/20...87.html?224107
  • Reply 20 of 85
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

12.) Blue Lasers

13.) Ogg support to court the *nix/techno geek

14.) Bluetooth. Not for syncing songs, but instead to dial your cell, sync contacts, and use wireless headphones, car kits, and remotes.

15.) Gratuitous request for video features, although I wouldn't use 'em and think the screen size and HD size makes this mostly pointless, for now at least.

16.) Tre-chic advanced battery technology. Don't make it last 300 plugins, try 1000. While I avoid it, a once a day plugin should be considered standard and the battery should be expected to be a bit more robust and last longer.

Bluetooth and better battery tech would be my top favorites. The mini form factor is fab and miniaturization will just make it more powerful.

With absolute certainty, I proclaim that you won't see the following:

-1. An 8" screen.

-2. Inkwell

-3. A Tablet Form Factor

Negative ( - ) before an item promises that hell will freeze over before the item arrives.

V/R,

Aries 1B