Airport Express Security Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the whole Mac experience. Just purchased a few goodies, and I am very much enjoying the goods! In regards to wireless networking, I just installed my Airport Express. It works like a charm, and I've even got the Airport hooked up to a set of speakers across the room. My question is, how secure is such a home network? My iMac is currently the only computer on the network. I notice there is an option to turn off Airport on my desktop. Would it be wise to do so before putting my computer to sleep mode? Is there a way to monitor and ensure that I am the only user on my own network? I'm just afraid someone would hack into my internet connection, or worse my computer.

This is wireless action is really cool, it's kind of like riding a bike for the first time! hee hee..

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    hostmonitor will let you see who's sucking off your i-teat.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 9
    c2poonc2poon Posts: 38member
    Update: I've just been playing around with the Airport Admin Utility, and been reading up Airport Security in the help section. I created a closed network, and added only my computer to the Access Control area. I guess that's it. Thanks,
  • Reply 3 of 9
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    Does Hostmonitor only work with "Airport" base stations? I have a Linksys wireless modem and I am wondering if someone is sucking off my signal.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by c2poon

Update: I've just been playing around with the Airport Admin Utility, and been reading up Airport Security in the help section. I created a closed network, and added only my computer to the Access Control area. I guess that's it. Thanks,

That's pretty much what I do - closed network so it doesn't broadcast the network name, and only specific MAC addresses are allowed on. I also require a password for that extra level of security .
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AWILL

Does Hostmonitor only work with "Airport" base stations? I have a Linksys wireless modem and I am wondering if someone is sucking off my signal.

According to the link I provided above, the Lucent RG-1000 is also supported.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Make sure you use "WPA personal" encryption on your network. Many use WEP, which an older, easier to hack protocol. Also, if you can, hide your SSID name. If people can't even see your wireless network, you're less likely to be leeched or hacked. With those 2 measures, your network should be pretty safe.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    makkemakke Posts: 16member
    Hi quick question: I installed Airport Express today, and have secured using the 128-bit WEP key, and have added this computer in the Access Control list.

Now, the 128-bit WEP encryption, I thought that is to prevent people viewing the data between the base station and the laptop, correct?

The access control is to prevent other people from using the base station?

Thx for the feedback.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    You should use the "WPA personal" encryption, and not WEP. WEP doesn't do a very good job, but WPA is pretty decent security.

Makke - You're correct about the difference between the two. WEP, or preferably WPA, helps secure people from eavesdropping on the data, while the access control allows you to input which mac addresses may connect to the network.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    makkemakke Posts: 16member
    Hi ibook911, thx for the tip, I was not aware WPA existed, I thought WEP was the only option for security. I have now changed the configuration to use WPA personal and will change the password at least once a week.