Desperate need for a G3

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can anyone direct me to an auction site (other than Ebay), or thrift where I can purchase a G3 machine . Recently got a Mac Mini, and my son wants to join the MAC world, but unfortunately can't lay out the neccessary monies now.

Would be interested in purchasing direct, but any info would be appreciated.

I have checked forum and pray that I am NOT violating any rules, If so, I apologize.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Small Dog

PowerMax

But for you... Unfortunately Apple computers have high resell value, so they will end up being only a little cheaper than getting a mac mini...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Depending on speed, an old G3 iMac or iBook can cost anywhere from $50 - $500. What does your son want to do?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Make me an offer on an iBook SE (G3 @ 466 MHz) ... it has OS 10.4.1 installed.

DVD ROM drive, 320 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, USB1, Firewire400.

I'm currently using it as a music server (iTunes to Airport express to Home Stereo) and would be willing to part with it.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Depending on speed, an old G3 iMac or iBook can cost anywhere from $50 - $500. What does your son want to do?

• Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

He wants to use Garageband, surf the web and generally run Tiger without many problems.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

He wants to use Garageband

Good luck with this on a G3. Unless things have changed recently you are going to struggle.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    yep, Garage Band will be a tuff sell on a G3.

Tiger runs fine, and it'll easily cover mail, safari, iTunes, etc.... but Garage Band would be fairly painful
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Thanks for the heads-up on Garageband. He and I compromised. I will let him use my machine for the Garageband until I can upgrade his system. However, he needs to get a system first

BTW,

About a year ago, I started searching the web for MAC auctions and sales from online classifieds. Got literally hundreds of hits. Today, if it isn't Ebay, it don't play!! Can't find anything!!!

Thanks again for your help! Still searching!
  • Reply 9 of 39
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    try http://www.craigslist.org great site for your local city (if its in the list). free classifieds. eBay even recently invested in them.

i bought a G3 off of there recently and every week I see 1 or 2 various new and old Macs in the computer section.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

try http://www.craigslist.org great site for your local city (if its in the list). free classifieds. eBay even recently invested in them.

i bought a G3 off of there recently and every week I see 1 or 2 various new and old Macs in the computer section.

Thanks sandau, appreciate the heads-up!
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Be sure to check the Tiger System Requirements for the machine you want to buy. Pretty much any G3 system without firewire on it is unsupported, including Beige G3 towers and the first iMacs and iBooks.

A fast G3 machine will handle garage band so-so, depending on the complexity of the song. Most of my gear is fairly modern though, so I haven't really tested how far one can push G3 systems.

Also, do need a display too, or do you already have a monitor? This would factor in to what machine I'd buy.

I wouldn't pigeonhole yourself to a G3 machine though. Some older G4 systems may be cheaper than newer G3 systems. That said, I doubt a 400 MHz G4 PowerMac will handle Garageband that well either.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    What do u have against ebay? i can uderstand if you just dont trust it, but prices have been pretty good lately. i've been watching powermac G3 B&W 450's go for less than 150. but if you're just morally opposed to ebay, try www.macofalltrades.com . they sell refurbs at a reasonably price. warantees are available too. hope this helps and good luck.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MisticMayhem

What do u have against ebay? i can uderstand if you just dont trust it, but prices have been pretty good lately. i've been watching powermac G3 B&W 450's go for less than 150. but if you're just morally opposed to ebay, try www.macofalltrades.com . they sell refurbs at a reasonably price. warantees are available too. hope this helps and good luck.

Actually I don't have anything against Ebay, but just want an environment that isn't auction-driven.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    http://www.andovercg.com is a great ebay company

But for Tiger and the new stuff, a mini is a must
  • Reply 15 of 39
    imac600mhzimac600mhz Posts: 104member
    id recommend getting a 500.600,700mhz iMac G3 there pretty cheap, but if you want garage band just invest in an 700mhz G4 eMac or Mac Mini
  • Reply 16 of 39
    I have a G3 Tan Desktop. It has a 200Mhz,I think, or maybe 233Mhz processor. I would sell it to you for pretty cheap. I also have the original monitor and keyboard and a SCSI burner. The only drawback of this machine other than the slow processor is the SCSI 4Gb hard drive. But as I said I will sell it cheap.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I have blue /white G3 300mhz 1gb ram added a more FW ports and a scsi port. Id be willing to part with it. Im looking of upgrading some time here in the future.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    I am quite interested in the machine. Please contact me with additional specs and pricing info. Specifically, if there is a HD, the size, and what OS are you running on it.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

I have blue /white G3 300mhz 1gb ram added a more FW ports and a scsi port. Id be willing to part with it. Im looking of upgrading some time here in the future.

• Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by McGlocktapus

I have a G3 Tan Desktop. It has a 200Mhz,I think, or maybe 233Mhz processor. I would sell it to you for pretty cheap. I also have the original monitor and keyboard and a SCSI burner. The only drawback of this machine other than the slow processor is the SCSI 4Gb hard drive. But as I said I will sell it cheap.

Uh... rev A beige G3s used ATA hard drives. They had 233 or 266 MHz G3 processors, depending on the model. I owned one which I eventually FrankenMacced with a bunch of random upgrades.

Sure you installed that SCSI HD?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    check out www.powermax.com for used G3 and G4 PMs...My advice would be (if you can afford it) is to get a low-level G4 (PCI Graphics or AGP Graphics ~$350-$400)

You could also get one of the original iMacs (with G3 processors). Some of the newer fruityMacs are actually quite nice.