64-bit Java in Tiger on G5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone have a G5 with a huge amount of memory (8 GB) running Tiger and Java 1.5 (also called Tiger)? If so, could you answer this question:

Does the JVM support 64-bit memory addressing? I.e. can I write a Java program that has access a heap as large as the full G5's memory or is there some memory usage limit per thread?

On Windows, for example, individual applications can't access more than 2 GBs of memory and Java is limited to 1.6 GB because of various overheads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

Does anyone have a G5 with a huge amount of memory (8 GB) running Tiger and Java 1.5 (also called Tiger)? If so, could you answer this question:

Does the JVM support 64-bit memory addressing? I.e. can I write a Java program that has access a heap as large as the full G5's memory or is there some memory usage limit per thread?

On Windows, for example, individual applications can't access more than 2 GBs of memory and Java is limited to 1.6 GB because of various overheads.

I have 4.5 GB--is that enough for what you want to test? i have no idea what java i have. if you write something i'd' be happy to test it, assuming my machine is what you're looking for.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    The Apple Java 1.5 engine is 32bit.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    I found this blog posting:

http://www.luisdelarosa.com/blog/200..._jvm_here.html

He seems to imply that a 64-bit JVM exists. Has anyone gone to WWDC and can confirm?