From OS10.2 to 10.3.8. Just one internet update?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hey everyone,

i might soon be getting a second hand iMac G3. Once ive added some extra RAM, im going to install OS 10.3.8. But i cant remember the steps to doing this.

I cant just throw in the latest DVD and put on 10.4 because the computer wont be able to read DVDs. I know i have access to 10.2 on CD, so i want to know if i can simply upgrade via the interent from 10.2 to 10.3.8?

That's it.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I assume you mean 10.2.8 correct? In that case yes. for 10.3 "Panther" and higher, you have to pay.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    Also, this computer is coming WITHOUT AN OS installed. So how will i install OSX anyway? Do i start up from disc (hold down C) and then from there the disc will look after me?

would it even turn on without an OS installed?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    maybe it's 10.3 i have available on CD? im not sure.

can 10.3 be installed onto a computer w/out an OS, or is it seen as an update from 10.2.x?

and if 10.3 can be installed straight onto it, then i can simply upgrade to 10.3.8 for free, yes?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

can 10.3 be installed onto a computer w/out an OS, or is it seen as an update from 10.2.x?

and if 10.3 can be installed straight onto it, then i can simply upgrade to 10.3.8 for free, yes?

Mac OS X can be installed onto a supported mac without there being a previous OS on it. There are a few options on how to install: Upgrade from previous system, Archive & Install (creates a new system and moves over your settings etc. from the previous one) or a complete hard drive wipe with a fresh install.

The only case where this is not so, is when people have gotten upgrade CD's from Apple, usually as part of the Up-to-date program, meaning you buy a new computer and it doesn't have the latest OS X on it and you get an upgrade CD in the mail that can upgrade only.

After you've installed OS X, be it 10.2 or 10.3, simply run the Software Update (which usually starts up on the first boot anyway) and grab all the updates.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I think someone needs a little education on the way a software company uses numbers to denote differences.

say we have a product at version 2.3.4

2 denotes a major update that makes a program very different from the previous version, such as Mac OS 9 and OS 10, HUGE difference

3 denotes a change that is significant, but in essence similar, such as Panther and Tiger, they look and feel relatively similar, but have a significant difference, not enough to denote a whole number change, but big.

4 denotes a minor change, usually in stability or minor usage changes. The program looks, feels, and works exactly the same, but changes were done to make it more secure or stable

Now for Mac OSX, 10.2 and 10.3 are significantly different (jaguar and panther), you can't install 10.2 and just go to software update and go up to 10.3.9. But if you have 10.3, you can update it to 10.3.9 free of charge, because it is a minor change (9 times technically).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

I think someone needs a little education on the way a software company uses numbers to denote differences.

I knew bits of that. I just got confused about which OS i had (and there was a typo in one of my posts - which if i edited now would throw the later one of order).

i originally meant 10.3 not 10.2...

but thanks for the help