will Mac usb keyboard work with Windows?

zozo
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2015
I would really like to know. I love the feel of the Mac keyboards, but may be getting a PC desktop in the near future and would like to have ONE keyboard that I can use on both my iBook and the PC.

I know the Microsoft Office Keyboard works with MacOS 9 (comes with drivers for all the millions of buttons and to map the Windows key, etc), but would rather use a Mac keyboard.

Is there any kind of utility that will let me map the Apple key, etc on an Apple keyboard when plugged into Windoze?

Thanks!

ZO

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I was wondering the same thing because I want to share a keyboard and mouse (with a switch) between a PC and my G4, set side by side.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't see why it wouldn't work, except that the command and option keys wouldn't work... am I wrong?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Yes it definitely works. I think the Command key worked as a Start button under Windows the last time I tried it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Yes, it works fine. Option maps to Alt (duh! it says so on the key!) and Command (Apple, campground, whatever) maps to the Windows key.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    excellent, thanks... this means I can get an Apple keyboard instead of the MS one for the same price. And not to mention that it looks a helluva lot better and types better too.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Yep. But, I am really sorry you have to use a PC. Lol.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    MS charges the same as apple for a keyboard? OUCH! I picked up my MS ergonomic for $40 can...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    MS doesn't charge as much as Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>MS doesn't charge as much as Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here in Belgium, with taxes, the MS Office Keyboard (that has the scroll wheel on the left, millions of buttons, and MacOS 9 drivers), costs about 75$.

In the Mac store where I get all my Apple stuff, the Apple Keyboard costs about 75-80$.

But seeing that supposedly Apple keyboards will map correctly with Windoze, I much prefer the Apple keyboard... and theres nothing like annoying friends who are PC loving Apple hating morons and force them to use an Apple keyboard and confuse them for a while

btw, if I remember correctly, Apple keyboards are made by Acer. At least the ones in portables seem to be. I remember that when I put ram in an old iBook there was Acer written on the inside somewhere. And mice are, at least the puck was, made by Logitech.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    going against the 'bringing back posts from long ago' law, I just wanted to know if there were any updates in this respect.

Will a Mac Bluetooth Keyboard work on windows? Do normal USB keyboards work?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I bet the bluetooth keyboard doesn't work. I thought we went over the normal USB keyboard thing. In some cases your sound card drivers will even recognize your volume keys. PrtScreen doesn't seem to work though.

And reaching back into your oooold post, the Apple Pro Keyboard was manufactured by Mitsumi, not Acer.
  • Reply 12 of 15

Hey was wondering if anyone had any luck with this. They use mac keyboards at uni and I loved it! So I bought one. Then realized that at uni theyre actually running windows on mac with boot-camp and that's why all the keys work there.

So im using one on PC still loving it. But none of the extra keys work. Cant use volume or function key. And some one other keys like equals on the num pad doesn't work. Is there any way to get full functionality for these keyboards on pC?

• Reply 13 of 15

Yup, they'll work perfectly. The command key will become the Windows key. Though for $50 (current amazon price) there's far better keyboards out there...

Edit: Wait, I just noticed the date on this thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradOZman View Post

Hey was wondering if anyone had any luck with this. They use mac keyboards at uni and I loved it! So I bought one. Then realized that at uni theyre actually running windows on mac with boot-camp and that's why all the keys work there.

So im using one on PC still loving it. But none of the extra keys work. Cant use volume or function key. And some one other keys like equals on the num pad doesn't work. Is there any way to get full functionality for these keyboards on pC?

In response to you, you can use software like found here.

• Reply 14 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    bradozman wrote: »

You can try installing the Bootcamp drivers:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1721?locale=en_US
  • Reply 15 of 15

@MAJANI

Thank you so much mate works well.