G5 Memory

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just purchased a Dual 2.3Ghz G5 from Apple. I'm currently looking to purchase 2GB of memory ( two 1GB sticks ). I want advice for some good places & manufacturs. Does any PC3200 DDR SDRAM work? Is there any PC3200 sticks faster than 400Mhz?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    For what it's worth, I just bought a 1 gig kit (2x512) from 18004memory.com for $78 (via pricewatch.com.) Got it in three or four days (free shipping) and snapped it in. (Little buggers can be a challenge.) Had no real problems on my 1.8 dual. Tiger/Indesign/iMovie and a very full iPhoto all smooth as silk. The RAM's generic, but it's also guaranteed, so what do I care? (I was more scared about all the dustbunnies I found when I opened the G5.)

Also, been a fair number of threads on the matter. Might want to try searching if you haven't yet. Crucial.com seems to be the online store of choice.

Oops, almost forgot: 2x512, PC3200, 400Mhz
  • Reply 2 of 2
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    eh, I use newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com. Both have the best prices and ship ASAP. For my PM, I bought a Corsair XMS dual channel kit (2-3-3-6). When I plopped it in, I checked out the RAM that Apple installed, and it's nothing special. I can't remember the brand, but it runs on crummy CL3 timing. I have serious doubts that any kind of RAM matters. Just make sure it's identical sticks. If you're really concerned, buy a brand that has a good reputation (ie. (in no particular order), Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Geil, etc).