help with decreasing powerbook performance

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hello,

i have a 1.25 powerbook g4 with 512mb running 10.4.1. i need some help trouble shooting overall slow performace. i've just noticed this recently and have not installed any new programs. i have 50 gig available on the hard drive. i do a lot of video editing so sometimes i have a lot on the desktop but i just deleted it all.

iPhoto is super slow and if i have 4 or 5 other programs running it takes about 5 min to load. there is also a lag just clicking on things. dashboard and finder are both slower than before. can someone help me trouble shoot? my powerbook is less than 2 yrs old.

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I thought these things only happen to PCs and never to Mac?

OSX running slow?

Dang, I was just about to switch!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    plasmaplasma Posts: 74member
    anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by plasma

anyone?

How about your Dashboard? Do you have a lot of widgets running in the background? I had about 10 widgets on and I noticed that my battery life was around 2 hours max. I deleted all my widgets and now my battery life is 3.5 hours (I use a 15" PB 1.67 with Tiger and 2 GB RAM). I realized that I don't need the widgets that much; at least not enough to lose over an hour of battery life!

cheers
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    It sounds like a cure-all, but I would repair permissions. Also, if you run programs like Limewire, something is going on to slow it down.

For me, I repair permissions and restart and all is well.

You may also consider booting from your OS X cd and use disk utility to repair your disk.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    i was running 6 widgets but down to 4 now...i also deleted cabos(limewire). pb is runnig a lil better now but im confused as to why it slowed down since it was fine with the same setup before?

rick: how do i repair permissions?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    Quote:

how do i repair permissions?

Run Disk Utility (From the Finder, shift command U, then double click Disk Utility)

Select your hard drive from the left pane.

Click "Repair Disk Permissions" button towards the middle bottom of the window.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    a fresh install of os x.4.1 may help, how much ram do you have? yeah, cut out widgets, do not run limewire or azureus or bittorrents in the background, turn off your airport to save battery or if you are not needing a network connection eg. when editing video. have at least 5gb of free disk space...

just some ideas good luck
  • Reply 8 of 17
    thanks for the help everyone.

pb is now running much better after running check disk and repair disk permissions. i may do a clean install of 10.4.2 when it comes out or as soon as i figure out how to back up all my data.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    If you're using up all your RAM, and the OS is paging out to virtual memory, that'll really cause a slowdown, especially with a 4200 rpm drive. Toss another 512 MB or 1 GB RAM stick in there, if you can afford to.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    yeah have a look at the dashboard widget qmem (dashboardwidgets.com)

on my 256mb iBook g4 4200 drive, it was flat out 99% memory used even with nothing much loaded. not good.

got a 512mb stick bringing to 640mb total, much much better. qmem shows 60% memory used in similar situations, and then even for a 4200rpm drive, with 640mb, i can have photoshop, iwork, mail, safari, azureus even all running at once at a decent clip. then of course qmem shows 99% memory used, but it helped me decide and 'justify' my ram purchase:

Apacer brand, cheap, and it is working very well so far. lifetime warranty. RAM is a very worthwhile investment...

your hard disk is 5400rpm i think, so 1gb or more ram and you're sitting sweet.

also, to back up, best thing is a straight clone (without your raw/work video files) using Super Duper!

great program, works well on Tiger IMHO

you can get a 3.5" fw400 or fw800 IDE-firewire bridge, drop in a fat 200gb 7200rpm 3.5" drive, and use that as your backup thingy. with the right research, cheaper, better, more scalable than a Lacie external drive setup thingy for example. some nice 200gb or so 7200rpm 8mb cache 3.5" drives out there, fw800 to ultra/ata133 bridge, and would be some very nice stuff for your working video files or your backing up(cloning) of your system disk using super duper ~ smart partitioning the external drive is the key here

phew. it came out all at once, stream of consciousness. good luck brotha, hopefully it will make sense or we've been able to point you in the right direcshiion

• Reply 11 of 17
    do i verify this in activity monitor?

running 4 widgets, safari, and activity monitor and here is what it shows: Free 346MB, VM size 3.71GB, Used 166.9

running all above plus iPhoto and iCal it shows: Free 5MB, VM 4.48BG, Used 505MB

Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

If you're using up all your RAM, and the OS is paging out to virtual memory, that'll really cause a slowdown, especially with a 4200 rpm drive. Toss another 512 MB or 1 GB RAM stick in there, if you can afford to.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

running 4 widgets, safari, and activity monitor and here is what it shows: Free 346MB, VM size 3.71GB, Used 166.9

running all above plus iPhoto and iCal it shows: Free 5MB, VM 4.48BG, Used 505MB

yup more memory (a 512mb or 1gb stick) and a fresh install of 10.4.2 or so will sweeten things IMHO
  • Reply 13 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

It's not important that OS X is using 505 out of 512 MB - that's what it is designed to do. The Mach philosophy is - you paid for it, you might as well use it.

What IS important is the number of pageouts - on the System Memory tab of the Activity Monitor. Those shouldn't be huge or rapidly increasing.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    page in/outs: 98490/44717

what does this mean?

Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It's not important that OS X is using 505 out of 512 MB - that's what it is designed to do. The Mach philosophy is - you paid for it, you might as well use it.

What IS important is the number of pageouts - on the System Memory tab of the Activity Monitor. Those shouldn't be huge or rapidly increasing.

• Reply 15 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

page in/outs: 98490/44717

what does this mean?

Pageouts 44717 - not too bad, but it means that there are times (maybe only a few seconds) that the system had to move some contents of RAM to disk to make room for something else. When that happens, you feel a slowdown while the swap happens.

This could be something as trivial as you opened ONE big file ONCE in PhotoShop, or it could be that the apps that you normally run all the time are requiring just a bit more memory than you have, resulting in the occasional swap of a few KB to disk.

To learn more, restart and watch the pageouts as you work. If they steadily climb as the hours go by, you could stand a little more memory.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    i saw my brother (unix guru) watch this just in terminal through some command line. maybe when he has time i can get him to show me. activity monitor is a bit of a resource hog itself (echoes of schroedinger uncertainty principle - observing something changes the outcome of what it is you were originally trying to observe)
  • Reply 17 of 17
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member