file sharing on OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I haven't really delved in to file sharing since OS 9.

So today I wanted to share some stuff on one PowerBook to move it to another. I wanted to save time, instead of using Target Disk. I'll have to do that though because OS X is retarded.

In OS 9 you could share anything, anywhere on the drive.

Unless I'm missing something huge, you can only share something on OS X if it's in the Public folder. That is retarded. Maybe it wouldn't be if you could put aliases in there. However aliases don't work. If I drag an alias to the hard drive there, it points to MY hard drive if I'm on my computer. That is retarded. It at least could display a useful message saying "Gee, we're sorry that we're retarded, but aliases don't work."

Any ideas? Is this some retarded UNIX limitation? Will it change? I'll probably just have to install a shareware hack to correct this mistake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    No you can browse the entire drive by connecting to the OS X computer and logging in as an administrative user. On OS X Server, however, the setup is a little different.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    sharing files is extremely easy now that FInder will auto-reconnect to my mounted network drives (i just discovered this the other day)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK Thanks Dhagan, that may have been the step I was overlooking. Still, could be more intuitive.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

No you can browse the entire drive by connecting to the OS X computer and logging in as an administrative user. On OS X Server, however, the setup is a little different.

Well, i can understand the original poster quite a bit.

Out of the box Mac OS X offers two possibilities:

either full admin access over an entire computer

or guest access without password protection.

This is unbelievable to some extent.

However there are options