Floyd Mayweather put on a Clinic

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I know there's a few boxing fans in here. Just whatched the Floyd Mayweather vs Arturo Gatti fight.

For those unaware

The Mayweather name well known in boxing. Floyds father and uncle were both fine boxers. The Pedigree is there.

Arturo Gatti is a throwback brawler cum boxer in the mode of a Jake LaMotta.

Who would win the former Olympic Gold Medal winner Floyd Mayweather or the blood n guts Gatti.

Well it wasn't even close. I've see a lot of boxing matches but I'd be hard pressed to remember a fight that was so well executed by a boxer. Gatti barely landed anything and every punch he threw was countered by 2-3 sharp combos by Mayweather.

The Jr Welter Weight division is now down to 3 contenders.

Miguel Cotto = young Puerto Rican star

Ricky Hatton- Manchester UK champ

Both Cotto and Hatton were ring side and honestly I think they may have been affected by what they saw. It's not easy to watch a guy display so much skill and think about how you will have to fight him someday. As of today I don't see anyone in the division that has even a 50/50 chance at beating Mayweather. He's that good.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I had to work and couldn't get the fight, so I planned on watching the re-air on HBO next weekend. Your thread title, however, was a huge spoiler.

• Reply 2 of 5
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    rageous, there are only a handful of boxing fans here at AI. I would forgive hmurchison for his faux paux...

As far as the fight goes, I agree totally h. I love Gotti's spirit and heart, but he was no match for Mayweather's supreme mad boxing skills. Pound for pound I think Mayweather may be the best boxer on the scene right now.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I had to work and couldn't get the fight, so I planned on watching the re-air on HBO next weekend. Your thread title, however, was a huge spoiler.

Sorry Rageous. Won't happen again. It's a worthy fight to watch anyways. That and the Vivian Harris fight.

A new King is crowned.

Mayweather has just staked his claim as the best P4P fighter out.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Yes, Mayweather did indeed fight a superb fight.

My heart was pulling for Gatti, but it ended as I knew it would.

I just wish pbf would mature a little in terms of sportsmanship. he is a great fighter, and I do not use that term loosely.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

Yes, Mayweather did indeed fight a superb fight.

My heart was pulling for Gatti, but it ended as I knew it would.

I just wish pbf would mature a little in terms of sportsmanship. he is a great fighter, and I do not use that term loosely.

He did he was nothing but class at the end of the fight. Floyd has been trying to demonize himself and agitate people in the hopes of drumming up better PPV fights. Perhaps soon he won't have to do that and he can just box.