Time For a Newbie Forum (no, really!)

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Gentlemen:

I propose that you start a Newbie Forum (as others have suggested before). This forum would be for new AI-ers to build their posts up to, say, fifty. While there, they can get their feet properly under them, find out that there is a search function, etc..

Why do I propose this? A newbie has posted a question in General Discussion as to what PDA he should purchase to work with his new Powerbook... as in Ad Nauseum

"New AI-er Forum: Get your feet wet here."

Respectfully Submitted,

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Not so sure about this. We recently made a decision to keep AppleInsider forums few in number to ensure they will all stay busy. Look at the reaction to the short-lived Creative Corner and Retail Discussion forums.

We will be updating our posting guidelines soon and I think we will probably have a dedicated "Newbie" section. Any suggestions as to the contents would be appreciated.

Jambo
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Not so sure about this. We recently made a decision to keep AppleInsider forums few in number to ensure they will all stay busy. Look at the reaction to the short-lived Creative Corner and Retail Discussion forums.

We will be updating our posting guidelines soon and I think we will probably have a dedicated "Newbie" section. Any suggestions as to the contents would be appreciated.

Jambo

Great Jambo:

?The posting guidelines

?Beaten To Death Topics

?Search Engines Made Easy

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

Great Jambo: ?The posting guidelines, ?Beaten To Death Topics, ?Search Engines Made Easy.

I second posting guidelines. I have noticed a few, usually newer, members who mostly make personal attacks or just criticize others without adding meaningful content. MACchine was an example, and thanks for banning this person. I realize that as the MAC increases market share a larger variety of people will be joining these types of forums. I have personally sent polite yet strong Private Messages to newer members to please reread the posting guidelines. I am happy to say this usually helps. I enjoy the lively and meaningful content at AppleInsider and hope to see it continue in the future. Thank you!

Sincerely, . A q u a M a c .
  • Reply 4 of 4
    You could also start a "bitch and moan forum" for the "why no G5 in PB yet?" people...

Anyhow, I think that one of the biggest problems is people who post in the wrong forum...look at Current Hardware...it's filled with tech support questions, yet there is clearly a forum for that...as well as one for purchasing advice.

shrug...