Chipotle Hot Red Chilie Sauce

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I am a huge fan of chipotle; but I can't afford to eat there on my diet everyday. While its a 5 min walk from my office, I need to resist. However, something that would help me hold over is a red chili sauce that I can buy in grocery store. Chipotle's hot salsa tasets sooooo good, but I can't find anything in stores that comes close to the flavor.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or even know what the heck I'm talking about?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    What I'd like to know... How do you pronounce "chipotle"?

The obvious Spanish pronunciation, chee POHT lay? Or something else?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    maaaaarkmaaaaark Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

What I'd like to know... How do you pronounce "chipotle"?

The obvious Spanish pronunciation, chee POHT lay? Or something else?

I pronounce it chii-pole-lay, where the chii sounds like chip without the "p".

sauce me up folks
  • Reply 3 of 17
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Chipotle is pronounced chee-POT-tleh. The POT has a not quite long O sound. The tleh comes off sounding almost as two syllables. The word comes directly from the Nuahtl language. It's most well known speakers were the Aztecs. The language is still (relatively) widely known in Mexico.

Without going into the recipe, Chipotle's are basically smoked and sauced Jalapenos.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    maaaaarkmaaaaark Posts: 16member
    It's not the chipotle sauce I am wanting. I am trying to find a store-purchasable alternative to the lovely Tomatillo Red-Chili Salsa that upsets my stomach for 24 hours, and makes for awkward situations at my girlfriend's house when I am there for those 24 hours.

Please help me
  • Reply 5 of 17
    we always laugh when people from Spain try to say a word with the "tl" or "x" sound. They can't!

Losers.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    tabasco makes a chipotle sauce that's ok. Otherwise, all "Chipotle" does is add liquid smoke to regular sauce and bingo.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    There's a chain of burrito restaurants called Chipotle. Think of it as Subway for burritos. Really quite good. I eat there about twice a week.

http://www.chipotle.com/
  • Reply 8 of 17
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    My favorite pronunciation is from a Jack-in-the-Box commercial: "chip-ih-tahb-lay"?

chee-poh-tleh

Chipotle is the only enchilada sauce I make. It is too hot for the wife but she suffers through because it's awesome.

AND YOU WILL NEVER KNOW MY SECRET!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Spline, he's not looking for what we know as chipotle sauce. He's looking for tomato salsa from a restaurant or something called "Chipotle".

Yeah, I've seen 'em. The restaurant chain "Chipotle" is owned by McDonalds, hence my suggestion to add liquid smoke to the sauce of your choice.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

AND YOU WILL NEVER KNOW MY SECRET!

Um, hot sauce?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Not sure. There are a lot here in TX. www.chipotle.com or www.chipotlefan.com

I NEED TO FIND THIS HOT SALSA :'(
  • Reply 12 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Yeah, I've seen 'em. The restaurant chain "Chipotle" is owned by McDonalds,

From where do you get this info? I thought they were an independent, private company.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

From where do you get this info? I thought they were an independent, private company.

Nope. I read it a few years ago in the Washington Post, which was on the topic of the new Chipotle restaurant in town.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    If you don't find such a sauce at Hot Hot Hot (search for keyword chipotle), nobody can help you. But be warned.

Their most famous sauces are DOA Cyanide Hot Sauce and Rigor Mortis Hot Sauce