Apple releases iTunes 4.9, iPods to follow

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer earlier today released iTunes 4.9, a major update to its digital music jukebox software.

In a brief description of the software, Apple said, "With iTunes 4.9, you can now browse and subscribe to podcasts from within the iTunes Music Store. Podcasts are frequently updated radio-style shows downloadable over the Internet. You can also transfer podcasts to iPod, for listening on the go."

A new Podcast Directory in iTunes 4.9 features over 3,000 free audio programs, including favorites such as ABC News, Adam Curry, BBC, Clear Channel, The Dawn and Drew Show, Disney, Engadget, ESPN, Newsweek and NPR member stations such as KCRW in Los Angeles and WGBH in Boston.

The software weighs in at just shy of 10MB and is available from the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism accessible from the Apple menu. As of press time, it was not yet posted to Apple's iTunes website.

As previously reported, it's expected that new iPod models will follow shortly. Original iPods are expected to receive color screens down the line, along with improved battery life of up to 15 hours.

Along with the release of iTunes 4.9, Apple also published a PDF-based instruction set on submitting Podcasts to the iTunes Music Store.

According to the document, "Enhanced Podcasts" may contain chapters with images or URL references that will display in iTunes as the Podcast plays. Apple has released a beta of Chapter Tool to help in creating these Enhanced Podcasts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Apple just merged the iPod lines: all iPods have color displays!! About time.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    iPod Updater 2005-06-26 is also now available as of 9:00 (29.3MB download through Software Update). Not sure what all it does but I'm downloading it anyways

edit (found out from apple.com):

Pod Updater 2005-06-26 includes new iPod Software 1.2 for iPod with color display, new iPod software 3.1 for iPod with Click Wheel and new iPod software 1.4 for iPod mini. iPod Updater 2005-06-26 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-03-23 for all other iPod models.

Download and install the iPod Updater then connect your iPod shuffle, iPod or iPod mini to your computer. The iPod Updater will automatically determine if an update is required.

What?s New in iPod Updater 2005-06-26

Integration with iTunes 4.9 for downloading and listening to podcasts
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Well, nothing changes much besides dropping the 30 gig iPod Photo and making the 20 gig a photo. Well, maybe this will be perfect for the release of the Apple Video iPod. I hope they have one that isn't over $399, which is the price of the current 60 gig Photo. Well I hope the Video iPod's are released at a reasonable price.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Ah, so now this begs the all-important question.

What's happening on the 7th? Everyone said it was going to be iPods and iTunes and all that. Well, apparently not.

G5 Powerbooks me thinks!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, a video iPod with a 2" screen will not cut it.

The PSP screen size is great and that is the minimum IMO.

Sadly, Apple would never be able to price it under $500.

Quote:

G5 Powerbooks me thinks!

• Reply 6 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Am I the only one who is unhappy with the podcast store?

1: All the commercial crap is highlighted...If I wanted ABC I could...I dunno...turn on the TV...or the RADIO...same with disney, ESPN, NPR, w***/K*** morning shows, or Bravo.

All the indi stuff is burried...and it DLs from the indi servers, and it is bottlenecking like hell...seems to me like Apple purposefully put these commercial casts in a better position, both positionwise and bandwidth wise (Disney et al can afford a ton more bandwidth than Dawn and Drew or TWIT)

Seems like the first nail in the coffin of podcasting, in a few short months, most indi podcasts will be dead, the rest will be o3n3d by the biggies and we the consumers get screwed.

Dear Steve

Thank you!

Sincerly,

Big Media et al
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

1: All the commercial crap is highlighted...If I wanted ABC I could...I dunno...turn on the TV...or the RADIO...same with disney, ESPN, NPR, w***/K*** morning shows, or Bravo.

All the indi stuff is burried...and it DLs from the indi servers, and it is bottlenecking like hell...seems to me like Apple purposefully put these commercial casts in a better position, both positionwise and bandwidth wise (Disney et al can afford a ton more bandwidth than Dawn and Drew or TWIT)

Seems like the first nail in the coffin of podcasting, in a few short months, most indi podcasts will be dead, the rest will be o3n3d by the biggies and we the consumers get screwed.

Man, talk about a whining loser. First off, ALL the podcasts download from the parent servers, so guess what, those smaller servers are going to get swamped more quickly. What do you want apple to do? Host them all themselves for free?

Second, how is this different then yesterday? All these indi podcasts were around yesterday, hosting their podcasts, people having trouble if too many tried to get them at the same time. Seems to me the only thing it does is give them more listeners, which could earn them more money and pay for more bandwidth.

And you're argument on the bandwidth issue is also completely hosed. You complain that they gave preferential treatment to the larger podcasters, who've got the bandwidth, and hid the smaller guys, then complain that the smaller guys have less bandwidth. Hey, just imagine if Apple spotlighted them, dude! So Apple's at fault for not promoting the podcasts that can't offer the bandwidth promotion would offer. Yeah, good one.

Third, hey, Apple is pushing the large podcasts that might be, I don't know, MORE popular then the indie podcasts. Why should Apple be highlighting "Fred and Barbara's New Baby Podcast!" first, when maybe 6 people care about it? And I would expect there to be some "Editor's picks" or "Staff favorites" popping up, like they do in the iTMS.

And did it occur to you that maybe some of those places like Disney and Bravo could be paying apple for prominent position? (Oh, right, Apple shouldn't take money for that, it wouldn't be right).

(hey, while you're at it, why don't you start whining about how the iTMS seems to promote major label albums more than the indie artists, hell, sometimes you have to go searching to find some indie band you've never heard of)
  • Reply 8 of 23
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Anyone knows the particulars of the latest iPod firmware updates?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Sincerly,

Big Media et al

For those of us on the road all day in the middle of radio hell (also known as silence), having all the "commercial" podcasts in one place is perfect for me. I can't get ESPN radio, and the NPR signal is weak/non-existant.

As for Indie stuff, I have a wild hunch that the commercial stuff is also a little more popular, hence the "highlighted" placement. Apple is going to highlight whatever draws the most traffic.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Anyone notice the similarity between the podcasting "i" and the incredibles "i"?

Apple paying Pixar for use of the "i"?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Anyone notice the similarity between the podcasting "i" and the incredibles "i"?

Apple paying Pixar for use of the "i"?

The podcasting logo is a little person. The top circle is its head, and the long part is the body. The little waves are the sounds going into the person's head.

It's not an "i."
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Does anyone know if you can use iTunes 4.9 to subscribe to a podcast that isn't in the "iTunes 3000" directory?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by dak splunder

Does anyone know if you can use iTunes 4.9 to subscribe to a podcast that isn't in the "iTunes 3000" directory?

Yep! I know! Not going to tell you whether you can or not, since you didn't ask that...
  • Reply 14 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Yep! I know! Not going to tell you whether you can or not, since you didn't ask that...

And it's only Tuesday, folks.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    The next I would see with the syndication of podcasts, larger iPods, and integrating photos into it; is something simple to start with like FW 800. I had to reset my iPod because I must have done something to get the new software on there, and downloading 2400 songs takes a long time, even over Firewire 400.

I'd like to see video iPods, I had thought that the iPhoto sync with camera movies there would be an opportunity to watch it on the iPod as well...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Well, from what I can tell, (poking around iTunes 4.9) the answer is no. And that's not the answer I was hoping for. But I may as well ask: can you?

Anyway, does anyone have any other info on how to subscribe to a podcast in iTunes directly (from a website or knowing their RSS feed, not through the iTunes directory)?? And if you have the info, please share it. Thanks!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by dak splunder

Well, from what I can tell, (poking around iTunes 4.9) the answer is no. And that's not the answer I was hoping for.

Wait, found it. Yes!! According to the iTunes Help section:

You can also subscribe to a podcast if you know the podcast feed URL. Choose Advanced > "Subscribe to Podcast" and enter the URL.

Cool. Although I wish it were much more obvious. Like an "Add Podcast" button next to the "Unsubscribe" button or something.

:d
  • Reply 18 of 23
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Ah, so now this begs the all-important question.

What's happening on the 7th? Everyone said it was going to be iPods and iTunes and all that. Well, apparently not.

G5 Powerbooks me thinks!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha

Just a little more...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahHAH.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Wow, you're an asshole.

Anyways, to answer the original question:

Just go to the "Advanced" item in the menu bar, and select "Subscribe to Podcast".

Here be a screen:

http://homepage.mac.com/ronrichard/.pictures/screen.jpg
  • Reply 20 of 23
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    To subscribe to a podcast not on the iTunes store simply drag the URL of the xml feed from Safari into the iTunes podcast window. iTunes will then automatically subscribe you.

Can you believe it, drag and drop still works!