Apple releases new iPods, reduces prices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer today released what may or may not be its fifth-generation of iPod digital music players, while also reducing the cost of its high-end flash-memory iPod shuffle player and Special Edition U2 iPod.

The new iPods are available in 20GB and 60GB models, each featuring a color screen and up to 15 hours of battery life. Sources say Apple will continue to market its 30GB iPod photo until supplies run dry.

The 20GB model continues to carry a price tag of $299, while the 60GB is now priced at $399 -- a price drop of $50.

"Apple today announced that the iPod and iPod photo lines are merging, creating a single line of white iPods that all feature color displays with the ability to view album artwork, photos and play slideshows in stunning color," the company explained in a statement.

A new iPod U2 Special Edition also includes a color screen and is now slightly more affordable at $329. Similarly, the 1GB iPod shuffle saw a $20 price drop to $129.

With the aid of iTunes 4.9, the new iPods feature an easy to use Podcast menu, including bookmarking within a Podcast and the ability to display Podcast artwork in color.

Each iPod with color display includes earbud headphones, a USB 2.0 cable, a USB power adapter and iTunes for Mac and Windows computers. iPod shuffle includes earbud headphones, lanyard and iTunes for Mac and Windows computers.

According to Apple, each of the new iPod models is available today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I call first post.

Seriously though, the changes (and price drops) are quite welcome.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    still 4th generation

PREDICTION: 5G iPods coincide with iTunes 5
  • Reply 3 of 44
    UK 1GB Shuffle prices also dropped a bit, from £99 to £89.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    I just bought a 30GB iPod photo last week, so I'm a bit relieved that that wasn't affected.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    512 shuffle -> still $99

1GB shuffle -> $129

I think that they are going to have a hard time

selling 512s...
  • Reply 6 of 44
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

I just bought a 30GB iPod photo last week, so I'm a bit relieved that that wasn't affected.

Since you bought it last week, I believe Apple will refund you the difference (not sure if that's automatic, and I know there is a cutoff point after a few days).
  • Reply 7 of 44
    maddanmaddan Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

512 shuffle -> still $99

1GB shuffle -> $129

selling 512s...

I think that's the idea! Let me make a wild guess that around Oct. the 1GB shuffle will be be $99 (512 dropped) and the iPod Mini line will be revised.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Great! Not one but two color-screen iPods in the sleek thin 20GB form factor!

I need more then 20 GB but I do love how thin those are.

Color Minis next year?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

selling 512s...

Didn't I hear they were having a hard time selling the 1GB version?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Since you bought it last week, I believe Apple will refund you the difference (not sure if that's automatic, and I know there is a cutoff point after a few days).

What difference? There's no new 30GB model to differ it with.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

512 shuffle -> still $99

1GB shuffle -> $129

selling 512s...

Yes. They just made the "upsell" easier! Brilliant.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    If this is their update for the next 6 months to a year, it's very, VERY underwhelming. I assume we'll see a full update to the line in the next few month.

Otherwise, the competition is making great strides to catch up to the #1 mp3 player line, and Apple needs to come up with new, innovative ways to make the iPod stand out.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 40gb 4th gen and I love it to death - I've owned 4 iPods since they came out in 2001. I just feel adding a color screen to the 20gb version and dropping the price 50 bucks on the top end model is a bit lacking for it's first update in about a year.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:

how much u bought ur ipod, i remember the 30gb iphoto is like the current 20gb price
  • Reply 14 of 44
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Great! Not one but two color-screen iPods in the sleek thin 20GB form factor!

I need more then 20 GB but I do love how thin those are.

according to apple's specs, the 20GB GAINED thickness, and the 60GB is still the same ridiculous size. Why can apple make a 30GB ipod at .57" but a 20GB at .63"???

damn you apple.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue.fusion

how much u bought ur ipod, i remember the 30gb iphoto is like the current 20gb price

$350... if someone can find out the current price at the Apple Store, that would be f antastic. If the price was dropped any, cool, I'll get some cash back.

Quote:

Originally posted by blue.fusion

according to apple's specs, the 20GB GAINED thickness, and the 60GB is still the same ridiculous size. Why can apple make a 30GB ipod at .57" but a 20GB at .63"???

damn you apple.

Actually, the 20GB photo is the exact same size and weight as the 30GB. How that's possible, I don't know.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Actually, the 20GB photo is the exact same size and weight as the 30GB. How that's possible, I don't know.

A 30GB drive firmwared down to be 20GB?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    So, first Apple announces the Intel switch. Then people ponder whether Firewire will survive the switch. Now they are releasing new iPods without Firewire cables? Seems rather suspicious to me... Or maybe they realized that most Windows users still don't have 6-pin Firewire. Still though, they are sending the message that Firewire is inferior to USB.

Just an observation.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Maybe a cheaper/larger hard drive or bigger battery...
  • Reply 19 of 44
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Damn. This is getting confusing. We need a chart with the dimensions and weight of every iPod made to date. All I know is that my 3G 20GB iPod was perfect in terms of thickness while my 4GB 30GB iPod Photo was a bit portly in comparison. I also noticed a drop in quality between the two in that the two halves were no longer seemless with the 4G 30GB iPod Photo model. They are now made in China instead of Taiwan. The packaging got really cheap with the 4G iPod Photo models. Have you noticed?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by acr4

So, first Apple announces the Intel switch. Then people ponder whether Firewire will survive the switch. Now they are releasing new iPods without Firewire cables? Seems rather suspicious to me... Or maybe they realized that most Windows users still don't have 6-pin Firewire. Still though, they are sending the message that Firewire is inferior to USB.

Just an observation.

Didn't that happen a while ago?