iTunes 4.9 riddled with iTunes phone references

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The latest version of Apple's iTunes jukebox software was in circulation only a matter of minutes before Apple enthusiasts began tearing the application's resources to bits, searching for clues on the highly anticipated iTunes music phone scheduled for release in a matter of days.

Of course, iTunes 4.9 did not disappoint. Instead, it continued to whet the appetite of consumers who seem to have been waiting for the Motorola-designed phone to debut for almost a year.

Immediately, enthusiasts located phrases such as "Eject mobile phone," "iPod Phone Prefs," "iPodPhoneiTunes Setup," and "PhoneUpdating contacts" from inside the application's resources.

"iTunes will automatically fill your mobile phone with a random selection of songs from your library. You may fill your mobile phone with a different selection of songs by pressing Autofill in the mobile phone playlist," reads a more telling messages from within the iTunes software.

A small icon image resource, possibly depicting the new phone, was also located.

According to a report in French newspaper Le Figaro, Apple and Motorola plan to announce the device, dubbed iPhone, as early as this week.

Meanwhile, Reuters cited sources in saying that Cingular Wireless, the No. 1 U.S. mobile service, is considering selling the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Why do people think it'll be called the "iPhone" if iTunes 4.9 calls it the "iPod Phone?" Based on Apple's past nomenclature strategy for iPod, the latter sounds much more plausible.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Very interesting in that iPod is a registered trademark for Apple. Apple is listing it as an iPod phone so I am assuming it is an Apple phone with Moto

innards, rather than a Moto phone with iTunes build in. Here's hoping
  • Reply 3 of 41
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

Very interesting in that iPod is a registered trademark for Apple. Apple is listing it as an iPod phone so I am assuming it is an Apple phone with Moto

Nope, I read all this as just "iPod/Phone preferences", not an "iPod phone".

And why is this a 'here's hoping' scenario? Are you hoping to spend $$$ on a phone just as long as it has an apple logo on it, as opposed to a Moto logo?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    There is a lot of "Cingular wireless" talk right now. Here's hoping a Sprint version is somewhere in the future...
  • Reply 5 of 41
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Nope, I read all this as just "iPod/Phone preferences", not an "iPod phone".

And why is this a 'here's hoping' scenario? Are you hoping to spend $$$ on a phone just as long as it has an apple logo on it, as opposed to a Moto logo?

yes. I have more faith in Apple quality than Moto
  • Reply 6 of 41
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

I was wondering about that as well. Why does it say "iPod Phone Prefs" if it is just a Motorola phone? There is no way Apple would let Motorola call one of their phones an iPod Phone. The iPod is an Apple product. It would be nice if Apple designed their own iPod Phone and had it manufactured by Motorola but all other evidence points to it being a rather ordinary Motorola phone.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Maybe that's where all the delays have been between the two companies. Motorola wants it to be their phone with Apple features, but Apple wants it to be their phone built by Motorola?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Would you be allowed to use the phone's music features during a flight?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I was wondering about that as well. Why does it say "iPod Phone Prefs" if it is just a Motorola phone? There is no way Apple would let Motorola call one of their phones an iPod Phone. The iPod is an Apple product. It would be nice if Apple designed their own iPod Phone and had it manufactured by Motorola but all other evidence points to it being a rather ordinary Motorola phone.

I think you all are reading this wrong. It is not the name of the phone but rather description of a function.

I would think that "iPod Phone Prefs" is a generic term. Just means iPod's phone prefs. So, with a to be announced connector you can connect the iPod to the phone, for on the go situations where you might not have your computer with you. Very similar to the camera connector.

So you would use these prefs to control what you want to do when you connect your phone to the iPod. e.g. random fill, auto fill, selected playlist etc.

This is logical as today you control the ipod's prefs through iTunes. This will add another tab or button to the pane.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    What do you all think of this? Taken from page 15 from the link below.

I give up. VB is eating my link.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Would you be allowed to use the phone's music features during a flight?

They will most likely have a wireless off feature which allows you too use the organization features, game featuwes and music features inflight.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

So, with a to be announced connector you can connect the iPod to the phone, for on the go situations where you might not have your computer with you. Very similar to the camera connector.

So you would use these prefs to control what you want to do when you connect your phone to the iPod. e.g. random fill, auto fill, selected playlist etc.

Not a chance. Apple hasn't opened up the ability to move things from an iPod to another device yet (except photos, playlists, and song ratings to a computer), and I don't see them starting anytime soon.

Okay, I'd give it a 1% chance, but I'm being generous.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    afalknerafalkner Posts: 74member
    Here is a senario...

Im at home and i just downloaded a new album from iTMS i copy it over (not to my ipod, but...) to my ipod phone, because im just going out for a little bit and dont need the 40gigs on my ipod. Throw it in my pocket and I'm out the door. I hail a cab and on the radio is a new song by some artist that I'm really diggin. I go onto my phone and go to iTMS mobile find the song and download it to my phone. Now I'm back home and I plug in my phone and iTunes syncs with my phone and adds any new songs I purchased on the go to my computer that I can then add to my iPod for my upcoming vacation.

Anyone think this is how it will go? or will the phone only use itunes to manage its music. Not allowing me to download on the go. Also, will this phone have a camera on it? And will it sync the photos I take on it with iPhoto?
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by afalkner

I go onto my phone and go to iTMS mobile find the song and download it to my phone. Now I'm back home and I plug in my phone and iTunes syncs with my phone and adds any new songs I purchased on the go to my computer that I can then add to my iPod for my upcoming vacation.

Anyone think this is how it will go?

I think it's plausible, and even a good idea, but I'm wondering about bandwidth issues. How long would it take to download an average AAC song to a cell phone from the network? Are cell networks fast enough and reliable enough yet?

I could see where the option to download directly to the phone might be there, but also an option to preview and earmark a song on iTMS, then download and pay for it later. When you sync the phone with iTunes, those songs are automatically put in your shopping cart and a dialogue box appears to confirm you are ready to begin the downloading process.

Then again, we *could* even see the advent of a subscription iTMS beginning next week IN CONJUNCTION with the iPod phone.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by abilstein

What do you all think of this? Taken from page 15 from the link below.

I give up. VB is eating my link.

I'd like to know the source for this picture.

It's a bit too 'XBox' for me ... white with blue LEDs would be nicer.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    I agree, the colors are odd. Supposedly it's from a Moto presentation in Beijing.

Here's the link via TinyURL:

Motorola Presentation PDF
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Two points...

One - how is Cingular the #1 Wireless carrier in the US?

Two - Maybe the future is in the iPhone becoming more like an iPod and the iPod becoming more like a full featured media center that would contain movies, pictures, and music and play them to view on its display?? Or adding WiFi to link up to a variety of items - radio, HDTV, or computer...
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Cingular became the largest wireless company in the US when it bought AT&T. If you lived in a city that always had Cingular you prolly noticed no difference. However here in Minneapolis we never had Cingular until they bought AT&T. Now Cingular signs are everywhere here.

1.Cingular / AT&T

2. Verizon

3.Sprint / Nextell

4. T-Mobile
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Outside of a city (particularly in the NYC area) the only real service is Verizon. ATT as soon as you exit the 5 boros is horrible and the others are worse. Maybe they should rank them on customer satisfaction..lol..

I have had VZW for years, switched to ATT for 1 month (cause of the cool phones) and completely regretted it. Lost calls, missed calls, you name it I had it...

WHY DOESNT APPLE HOOK UP WITH VERIZON - HINT HERE....
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Cell phone coverage totally depends on where you live. Here in Minneapolis my friends that have Verizon HATE it. They get horrible coverage. I had sprint and couldnt use it indoors. I got T-mobile and now I rarely have problems. I can be in the bathroom closet in the basement of my house and still have 4 bars. But my sister has T-Mobile and lives in Milwaukee. Her phone doesnt work AT ALL in her apartment. But as soon as she steps outside....4 bars. Talk about inconvienent. She doesnt have a home phone so she is frustrated to say the least.

Totally depends on where you live. I cant believe carriers havent dealt with boosting indoor coverage yet.